Beaver Dam Mountain Wilderness

After an epic spring brocation to Cedar Mesa in 2012 we decided to attempt a scaled back one in 2013. Half of my bro's, well 2, are in different places around the US and my wife was super prego as was my brothers thus we needed to find a place between here and Las Vegas that would be warm enough to camp and hike in early spring. I, being the eldest and wisest of the 5 Anderson boys, decided the Virgin River Gorge more specifically the Beaver Dam Wilderness portion.

After the typical last minute changes, late departures, etc we set out to find a petroglyph panel. Unfortunately we ran out of daylight. Rather than find the panel we were treated with an amazing sunset over cliffs of the grand canyon of the virgin river. I also, using binoculars spotted a potentially amazing discovery (deep alcove with hole above it? Golden Cathedralish? I am trying to find a way back before it gets too hot)
IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0468-IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0481-IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

The goal for Day 2 was to find some other petroglyphs and an arch along the Virgin. Hiking in the Beaver Dam Wilderness Area involves scrambling, finding ways up and down cliffs, dodging thorny plants, route finding in a trail-less wilderness (sometimes with vistas marred by I-15 off in the distance), and spectacular views.

IMG_0491.jpg
(from Cedar Pocket IMG_0502.jpg

campground)

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg
I always enjoy finding dark lava in a place it doesnt fit in!

After driving through the Virgin River Gorge for over a decade wondering what was off the freeway I was able to once again confirm the wise words of E. Abbey

In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees, over the sandstone and through the thornbush and cactus. When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll begin to see something, maybe.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

(While its no Udink find we did find some chippings and shards)

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

It is truly a shame that we built a freeway through one of the best wilderness areas/canyon of the desert southwest, Truly it is the Grand Canyon of the Virgin (although full disclaimer the freeway was an engineer marvel and pretty cool in itself).

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Awesome man. I too wonder what is out there every time I drive through. Good to see it really is something worth getting out and seeing. It seems we put a lot of big roads in places that would make great wilderness destinations..

Sweet report, Seldom Seen Anderson! :)
Every year on the way back to Vegas, we spend a night at Virgin River Campground.
I never had thought, so many interesting possibilities in that area.

Sweet report, Seldom Seen Anderson! :)
Every year on the way back to Vegas, we spend a night at Virgin River Campground.
I never had thought, so many interesting possibilities in that area.

While its a touch sketchy we just pulled off the freeway at a few spots where there was a pullout. It seems as if the exploration possibilities of both wilderness areas (Paiute Wilderness on one side, and Beaver Dam Wilderness on the other) are great.

I just had my family camped in there Monday night. I went for a run across the freeway from the VR Campground up a road that pokes into the Beaver Dam Wilderness. Lovely place at sunset.

uploadfromtaptalk1365047904973.jpg

Shot this from my phone whilst running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Great job. I've made a few short trips into the area in search of the glyphs. I have seen pics of the rock art before and really wanted to the the one they call DaVinci glyph. In a class, I was told the glyph of the man was done many years before somebody added the circle around his body. Curios, was that obvious when you saw it?

Thanks for sharing!
W.

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.