Backpacking the Escalante: The Gulch down to Choprock

Joey

walking somewhere
An 8 day backpacking trip down the Escalante River. I started down the Gulch, and headed south along the Escalante River to Choprock Canyon. I set up a basecamp, and explored the area. I then went up Choprock, and around to Silver Fork Falls. From there I hiked back up to The Gulch. I broke my GoPro on day one, and then accidentally deleted my other camera's footage. This week I was able to recover a portion of the footage, and put together this trip video. I have no pictures, so I can't post a trip report. May, 2014. Here is the video:

Here is a link to the route: http://caltopo.com/map?id=7T40
Gulch Overview Green.png Gulch Overview Brown.png Gulch Top.png Gulch Bottom.png

Really enjoyed the video, Joey. Some great footage and liked the narration on this one. The descriptions on the days event, locations, etc. are great reference points for those who may want to explore the area. The idea of bringing a "flotation device" for travel was cool too. The choice in color though? Fail.

With all the water crossings I'm curious as to how you avoid blisters or any other kind of foot issues? I have always had to remove boots otherwise end up with silver dollar size blisters.

Another cool vid Joey. So when you were wading upstream, would it have helped any to put your pack on that inflatable tube and pull it with some cordage?

Another cool vid Joey. So when you were wading upstream, would it have helped any to put your pack on that inflatable tube and pull it with some cordage?
No, it would have been more work. I wasn't in the river the whole time. Easier to just keep everything in my pack. The water was near chest deep in some places. I lost some real good footage of that.

With all the water crossings I'm curious as to how you avoid blisters or any other kind of foot issues? I have always had to remove boots otherwise end up with silver dollar size blisters.
I wore neoprene socks. I was pretty comfortable walking in those wet boots all day.

I admire the dedication you and others have in putting in the extra effort of leaving and retrieving the camera to get a good action or perspective shot, such as when you jump in the tube to float down river away from it knowing that you then had to get off that tube at some point to come back up stream to retrieve it. Same goes for the shots of you climbing up some spicy looking terrain in your Maze video. @Jammer does it a lot too. I dig it!

I admire the dedication you and others have in putting in the extra effort of leaving and retrieving the camera to get a good action or perspective shot, such as when you jump in the tube to float down river away from it knowing that you then had to get off that tube at some point to come back up stream to retrieve it. Same goes for the shots of you climbing up some spicy looking terrain in your Maze video. @Jammer does it a lot too. I dig it!
Thanks Will! I'm hoping to shoot more footage that way this coming year.

Part of me feels its sort of "fake", since I am walking those areas twice, just to give a video shot. But I also think it makes for a much cleaner video. Easier to edit as well.

On the one shot where I was climbing up to the Maze overlook, I actually did that 3 times. I was in a hurry to hike out that day, and thought my camera battery was dead. About 5 minutes after climbing past that spot, I felt guilty for not trying to film it. So I went back down, set up the tripod, and luckily had enough battery life left. I climbed up the 2nd time, dropped my pack, and came back for the camera, before climbing back up a third time. In the end it was kind of fun to do it several times.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tyler Coyote Gulch, Escalante Utah - 5 year anniversary backpacking trip Backpacking 6
M Non-technical 1-2 night backpacking w dogs and kids - Escalante-ish area in April? Trip Planning 14
W Escalante River Backpacking Trip Planning 12
Jazzy Joe Looking for Escalante Area Short Backpacking Suggestions Early Spring Trip Planning 21
V 50+ mile backpacking loop in Escalante? Trip Planning 5
dug When things don't go just as planned. Bikepacking, backpacking, packrafting Escalante. On The Water 0
D Harris Wash to Neon Canyon - Escalante Backpacking Backpacking 3
Nick My First Backpacking Trip - Escalante '04 Backpacking 11
Waynee-ack Backpacking destination needed in Escalante area. Trip Planning 11
Nick Short backpacking trips in the Escalante/Boulder area Trip Planning 20
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 13
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8