Backpacking Stoves

LoriB

Ok folks, I have a question....my friend and I took our first trip this year and we can only go on one trip a year so we took Sterno to cook with....we'd already put so much money into all our other gear and that was cheap and just seemed easier to us...gel instead of a liquid etc...not to mention there are SO MANY options out there....it worked really well for us, but why don't I ever hear of anyone else using it and what would everyone recommend to a couple of newbies and why? :)

I remember using Sterno when I was a teenager...and I remember it smelling so funny that I figured it was poisoning us :)

I don't really remember enough about Sterno to say why it's not regularly used. How long did it take to boil water? Isn't it also pretty heavy compared to a butane stove?

I use the Optimus Crux lite with the Terra Solo Cook set. I ditched the little frying pan for another mug I picked up at Wal-Mart for $4 so that it works great for 2 people (both can have a full size mug of coffee/hot chocolate or whatever). The fuel fits inside and the 2 mugs fit ok in the mesh bag. I also stash a small flint stick and striker so I always have a way to light it if needed. If you are going to be using it in <32 degree temps then consider using a 4 season fuel canister.

Why?
Boils 2 cups of water quickly
Light Weight
Small
Easy to Use-Just screw it on to the fuel can and light it up
No problems so far
I got it for my birthday :)

I've had a Jetboil for about 5 years now. If all you are needing is hot water to add to freeze-dried meals, there is nothing better. I've been hiking with guys that cook a bit more creatively, and it would require a bigger cooking pot. Because I have the Jetboil already I'll probably buy the pot that attaches to it. I also use the french press attachment, and for colder conditions it's so nice to have real coffee.

If it were to break, I'd probably buy something else-the MSR reactor looks awesome, and can do more than just boil.

For the price-the pocket rocket is a no brainer.

If you want a good, reliable stove on a budget, then something like the Pocket Rocket is the way to go. But if money is the concern, skip the REI and head over to Amazon and pickup a cheapo one from China. There is a little isobutane Pocket Rocket knockoff they sell over there for about $6. Add a can of isobutane and you have a fully functional stove for like $10-$12. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=B004U8CP88&linkCode=as2&tag=backcountrypo-20

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 4.43.39 PM.png

I really can't think of a better, more budget-friendly way to have a lightweight, efficient backpacking stove.

As far as Sterno goes, I've worked in enough restaurants and done catering and honestly I didn't know you could get anything to boil with that stuff. We'd always use it under our chafing dishes just to keep food warm. If it does make things boil I can't imagine it does it very efficiently.

Here's some pros and cons of what I would consider to be the three most popular stove types:

Isobutane 'Pocket Rocket' Style
Pros:
Very small
Very light
Cheap

Cons:
Not as efficient as Jet Boil type isobutane stoves
Isobutane fuel cans don't work very well in freezing temps
Fuel cans are not refillable​

Isobutane 'Jet Boil' Style
Pros:
Very light
Extremely efficient
French press accessory? Oh yeah!
Excels at making hot water (could be a pro or a con I suppose)

Cons:
Usage of different sized pots can be difficult without extra accessories
Isobutane fuel cans don't work very well in freezing temps
Fuel cans are not refillable
Tends to be more expensive but that also usually includes the pot so it could be a wash

White Gas Stoves
Pros:
Works great in cold weather
Fuel cans are refillable and you can see exactly how much you have and even use it for other purposes if needed (start fire)
Some accept various types of fuel including gasoline
Fuel is really cheap

Cons:
More parts to maintain
Not super user friendly - usually requires pumping and priming
Bulky

EDIT: Don't forget ultralight stoves like alcohol and esbit.

GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Bottle Cup/Pot
http://amzn.com/B001LF3IB6

What Nick said plus a tin cup or two is all you really need if you are just boiling water for freeze dried food. It can be done for around $20 or so total.

I remember using Sterno when I was a teenager...and I remember it smelling so funny that I figured it was poisoning us :)

I don't really remember enough about Sterno to say why it's not regularly used. How long did it take to boil water? Isn't it also pretty heavy compared to a butane stove?
It didn't take long to boil water...about 5 min...and it doesn't smell so bad anymore...each can weighs 8.43 ounces and is supposedly good for about 4.5 hours...I don't honestly know how it compares...that's why I was wondering what everyone else thought...

thanks everyone!! I'm checking out the Pocket Rocket right now...not needing the coffee attachment since neither of us drink it...how much fuel would you estimate for an extended 12 day hike? After the first hike we well realize that it's ALL about the weight you carry or more specifically DON'T carry!! We're eating all home-dehydrated meals so all we need is to heat hot water...I really appreciate all of the advice!! You guys ROCK!!

thanks everyone!! I'm checking out the Pocket Rocket right now...not needing the coffee attachment since neither of us drink it...how much fuel would you estimate for an extended 12 day hike? After the first hike we well realize that it's ALL about the weight you carry or more specifically DON'T carry!! We're eating all home-dehydrated meals so all we need is to heat hot water...I really appreciate all of the advice!! You guys ROCK!!

Test your stove with the fuel you plan I use. They are all different. Take extra fuel.

Fuel usage will vary on a lot of factors, but I've found that one 8 oz can of isobutane (standard size) will usually do water for a couple people two times a day for at least 3-4 days, maybe more (using pocket rocket). The cans are available in larger and smaller sizes so for a long trip you could get a couple of the big cans and probably be good.

Fuel usage will vary on a lot of factors, but I've found that one 8 oz can of isobutane (standard size) will usually do water for a couple people two times a day for at least 3-4 days, maybe more (using pocket rocket). The cans are available in larger and smaller sizes so for a long trip you could get a couple of the big cans and probably be good.

Fantastic....I knew one question and the answers would save me hours more research and head scratching over all of the options out there!! Thanks!!

FYI: If you are going to be out for 12 days you may want to consider a good headlamp. The Petzl headlamps have a really long run time. They are not the brightest but are really reliable and like I said, last quite a bit longer than other headlamps.

Also, that is a long time to be eating freeze dried food. I wish you the best.

I use Optimus Crux folding canister. Folds and fits under the 80z canister. The 8oz canister lasts me about 7-8 days boiling water 2 times a day (2 oatmeal paks, 2 hot cocoa paks, Mtn House dinner, usually 2 cups. I use a MSR Titanium Kettle to boil in. Weighs very little.

FYI: If you are going to be out for 12 days you may want to consider a good headlamp. The Petzl headlamps have a really long run time. They are not the brightest but are really reliable and like I said, last quite a bit longer than other headlamps.

Also, that is a long time to be eating freeze dried food. I wish you the best.

Thanks, headlamps over the heavier flashlight or the chintzy hat lights were one of my next research projects!! We crave the solitude...food is generally only fuel while we are there...but we aren't eating freeze dried...LOL I tried that stuff and was NOT impressed...nope we have dehydrated good food and adapted everyday recipes to our liking so that they are very tasty and yet can be done usually in a freezer baggie...12 days will be a long time to be cut off from my daughter, but other than that I could probably stay out forever...LOL Only getting to go once a year...gotta make the very most of it...my everyday life is incredibly stressful and I just need the peace.

My wife and I wear headlamps and I carry a small (200+ lumen Mini Maglite) flashlight as backup. I rarely use the Maglite though.

My wife and I wear headlamps and I carry a small (200+ lumen Mini Maglite) flashlight as backup. I rarely use the Maglite though.

we both brought flashlights and those hat lights, but were never outside after dark so we never used them other than about 5 min in the tent...next time though we intend to do some hiking pre-dawn so headlamps are probably a very good idea...Thanks!

Headlamps are ridiculously more useful than standard flashlights (at least small handheld flashlights). Many fancier models can dim (to save battery), switch between spot or flood, illuminate red (for night vision) or recharge via USB (and therefore solar).

The Snow Peak Gigapower is awesome for 40 bucks (w/o the piezo igniter). Quite light, stable, good range of heat.

Though on my solo trips, I usually just take a catfood can with some holes punched around the top. Pour in 3/4oz of denatured alcohol and you're good to go.

I've had a Jetboil for about 5 years now. If all you are needing is hot water to add to freeze-dried meals, there is nothing better. I've been hiking with guys that cook a bit more creatively, and it would require a bigger cooking pot. Because I have the Jetboil already I'll probably buy the pot that attaches to it. I also use the french press attachment, and for colder conditions it's so nice to have real coffee.

Since @slc_dan is a professional coffee roaster and barista his opinion here on any coffee preparation is above reproach. And I can personally attest to his ability to backcountry brew. On a recent trip he joyfully served 5 of us with his work first thing in the morning miles from any road or cafe!