Backpacking in the Stansburys

DOSS

out
From July of 2010 - Standsburys are on my mind as I will be walking the ridge line this summer so here is an old over night report :)..

Saturday morning just after breakfast I headed up to the Stansburys to hike to Deseret Peak and then over to South Willow Lake to spend the night. The hike was very interesting as I passed at least 3 groups of Boy Scouts panting and complaining, one lone Boy Scout (all he knew was that his troop was ahead of him) that had some serious blisters on his heels that I gave him some duct tape for, and a group of hikers from Wasatch Mountain Club. Once at the summit I texted to my wife that I was there and then moved on after a quick meal of Peanut Butter and granola bars. I continued North and visited some other peaks then dropped down to the trail that heads towards South willow Lake. I set up camp and enjoyed the solitude of the area and the various wildlife. After a few hours of interrupted sleep I woke to rustling and a scream, I quickly turned on my headlamp to see the final take-down of a fawn by a cat no more than 30 feet from me. I lay there with my light trained on the Cat as he finished off the fawn and drug it to some nearby trees and began his feast all the while watching me watch him. As quietly as I could I packed up my pack and worked my way around the lake away from him and headed back to civilization as there was no way I was going back to sleep at this point even though it was 4AM. All in all it was a great trip and very tiring.. here are the pics I got.. and no I don’t have pics of the cat from this morning
icon_razz.gif

capture.jpg

pict2051.jpg

pict2056.jpg

pict2057.jpg

pict2059.jpg

pict2063.jpg

pict2067.jpg

pict2068.jpg

pict2074.jpg

pict2077.jpg

pict2087.jpg

pict2088.jpg

pict2089.jpg

pict2091.jpg

Damn. That is so crazy about the mountain lion. Once in many lifetimes kind of experience. I would've been scared to death but I'm still totally jealous.

Question were your drawers soiled after this?

When I am alone in cat country I make soooo much noise anything from singing to random screaming!

Damn! Crazy Mtn Lion. I actually worry more about them than I do bear.

That was an awesome story. The Stansburys seem so close, I need to get out there. Looks like it's a totally doable trip over one night/two days? Were you packing any type of defense (i.e. a gun)? Would you suggest it going forward?

That was an awesome story. The Stansburys seem so close, I need to get out there. Looks like it's a totally doable trip over one night/two days? Were you packing any type of defense (i.e. a gun)? Would you suggest it going forward?
The trip can be done in a day easy if you wanted to, I was going for relaxation so one night two days is perfect. I don't usually carry when in the hills (the city is a whole different animal). I have thought about pepper spray for some deterrent if necessary but most of the time animals want nothing to do with us human people so I have never had a problem, heck even this cat didn't know I was there until I flashed a light at it and I would have been easier prey than the deer.

Cool. What is the water situation like up there? This TR just got me excited about a simple backpacking trip (or two) this summer.

Any good web sites with detailed info on Stansbury backpacking trails? This place is a complete mystery to me.

Sorry for all the questions.

Cool. What is the water situation like up there? This TR just got me excited about a simple backpacking trip (or two) this summer.

Any good web sites with detailed info on Stansbury backpacking trails? This place is a complete mystery to me.

Sorry for all the questions.

No problems man :)

Water is easy to locate (obviously not on the ridge but there is often snow up there you can melt), nice flow almost all year long down lower, North and South willow lakes have water all year (no fish in the lakes but in the streams up north and south willow respectively there are fish)... As for websites with detailed information there really are not any unfortunately, its like people just want to ignore the place exists for the most part. I would be happy to tag along or help out with your planning.. I do have a 4 day trip planned this summer from I80 to Johnson's pass along the Stansbury range skyline :)

No problems man :)

Water is easy to locate (obviously not on the ridge but there is often snow up there you can melt), nice flow almost all year long down lower, North and South willow lakes have water all year (no fish in the lakes but in the streams up north and south willow respectively there are fish)... As for websites with detailed information there really are not any unfortunately, its like people just want to ignore the place exists for the most part. I would be happy to tag along or help out with your planning.. I do have a 4 day trip planned this summer from I80 to Johnson's pass along the Stansbury range skyline :)

Thanks, I may have to take you up on that one, but we'll see. Still have a newborn at home and a 3 year old, so time away from the family is tough. Either way, just a Saturday/Sunday trip would be a nice quick getaway.

I like the idea that there isn't a lot of beta out there on those mountains and the trails; hopefully less people and more mountain lions to come in contact with :).

When you get your trip ready and you feel like inviting others, post it in the trip planning area (maybe you have already??) I'll see if I can join you by then.

Thanks again for the inspiration.

I was just out in this area Saturday made the loop to Deseret Peak and back down to the campground (just a dayhike so we didn't head to the lake). It's wonderful. We met one other person on the summit. As we had less than a mile back to the Loop campground we ran into two other people, and right as we arrived at the trailhead we ran into some people on horses. It was my first time in the stansbury's but I loved it. The fact you actually have to drive on a dirt road deters more people from going. Next year I want to get out and do some backpacking in this area.