Backcountry Skiing Butler Fork to Millcreek 12-28

Tye Dye Twins

On Sunday morning my twin trevor, my buddy ron, and I headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon to ski Millcreek Canyon. The chosen route up was Butler Fork and after hours of skinning up hill we got our reward!

IMG_2743_zpsec96db7e.jpg

Ron the snowboarder suddenly rememberd why he moved out from the east coast decades ago.
IMG_2755_zps846f6e4b.jpg

And one last shot of me coming down on Lap 1.
IMG_2782_zps71bd0579.jpg

We took a lunch break under some trees while we discussed the plan. I broke trail through the 2 feet of snow while the boys got buried by falling snow drifts off the trees. On the way up I was moving very slowly breaking through the new snow and I got the scare of my life. Within inches of my ski tip a GIANT grey grouse suddenly burst out of the snow and flew at my face. I screamed and jumped back, while the bird changed course and ran right into the branches near me dumping snow everywhere, all to the low drum thumping sound of that frightned bird's wings! Never seen that before!!

Trevor got a shot with the gopro of himself and Ron at the top of just before Lap 2
GOPR0041_zps3f60b140.jpg

Finally what I was looking for!!! Classic over-the-head Utah Powder!!!
IMG_2790_zps2b95d679.jpg

IMG_2791_zps3c89256a.jpg

IMG_2792_zps32b4cba5.jpg

IMG_2793_zpsb26f5914.jpg

IMG_2794_zps3b93e3dc.jpg

A little ways down the hill I got "snow snaked" by some brush and lost both of my skis and poles. It took about 15 minutes for my twin and I to recover the buried equipment.

Lower down the hill opened up for a second look at a Local Powder Comet in action...
IMG_2804_zps3a49ebb7.jpg

IMG_2805_zps9db5ebb5.jpg

IMG_2806_zps10e3e89b.jpg

IMG_2807_zpse70403cd.jpg

Coming up for air.
IMG_2808_zps8c20f0b0.jpg

IMG_2809_zps045aaed4.jpg

IMG_2810_zpsb1affb88.jpg

Ron on Lap 2. This guy rarely gets powder like this since he is a snowboarder and he is quite tall. Here is his best impression of a "powder graboid".
IMG_2824_zps2a0d44c1.jpg

IMG_2825_zpsf4663804.jpg

IMG_2826_zps303701ee.jpg

IMG_2827_zpsd756f101.jpg

IMG_2831_zps6369d05c.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsd8fbdcfa.jpg

We skinned back up to the top one last time to get a lap into butler fork. I managed to hit a tree head on, luckily the 25 foot tree was dead or I'd probably be dead!! My twin got snow snaked twice on the way down, so ron was the only one to get out unscathed. No pics were taken as it was getting dark quickly and we weren't getting out quickly either due to the sticky cold snow conditions. We hit the car at 5:30pm.
IMG_2848_zps4bdab42e.jpg

We were greeted by the "red snake", often muttered by locals observing the slow traffic condtions in the canyons.
IMG_2882_zpsf1e11e59.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Wow! Was that grey grouse like hibernating under there? That would scare the living hell out of me.
My guess is yes but I aint no bird expert.

What was so weird is the fact that I was taking one step, a couple of breathes, and then another step and repeated this pattern to within inches of that bird. Why didn't it choose to fly off earlier I will never know. Had I been just inches to the side of it, I think the bird would have just stayed put. Honestly I felt like a land mine just exploded in front of me!

Looks like a great time! And yes, grouse can really get your attention in new snow, skiing, snowshoeing, or just trudging through it. They don't hibernate but I think they just let themselves get buried because it's warmer under a little snow. Around here, they're usually ruffs.

$$$$$$$$ photos. I have skied porter fork up millcreek but never approached from the Big Cottonwood side.

$$$$$$$$ photos. I have skied porter fork up millcreek but never approached from the Big Cottonwood side.
Porter is fun, and honestly over the years I have grown to like coming from to the Bowman trail thru Yellow Jacket thru Pole Canyon instead of Butler thru Mill A basin to reach Gobblers Knob.

My outdoor ed teacher once told a a story about grouse, they dive into the snow to stay warm, sometimes you can see where they're hiding and it's pretty funny to watch them pop out at people when they're not expecting it.

I'd love to do stuff like this, but in southern Ontario we don't have a lot of places to go like that. Plenty of ski hills, but no big powder skiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk