Back Injury

So I dont know if I am getting old as this is a first

I was standing in the lunch room directing student traffic at the middle school I teach at and all of the sudden it felt like someone stabbed me in the back (maybe a voodoo doll of me somewhereo_O ) and now I can barely move so my question is WHAT SHOULD I DO? Ice? Heat? Chiropractor? Etc? anyone have some amazing solution so I can meet up with everyone doing the zion desert hike saturday?

It depends on where the pain is as to what to do... But in general ice is better than heat and some anti inflamitorys...

Is it lower back? Could be a bulging or slipped disc. The first time I did it was barely doing anything. Like I think I picked up a glass or something. It is horrendously painful. I've literally been laying on the ground screaming and crying hours after it happening. My doc recommended certain exercises to keep the disc in place, once it happens, it will happen again.

Ditto with ibenick on this one I too have had a disc problem and they are not fun. Sounds close to what has happened to me. I was putting my pants on then OWW then I couldn't straighten out for a week until I went to a physical therapist. IBUPROFEN and Muscle relaxers. Sometimes they will prescribe Lortab, but that doesn't do much for it at least for me.

I have a bad L4/L5 disc (degenerative), and when it first went (about 13 years ago now, yikes), it was brutal, I spent a lot of time on the floor. While the pain was one thing, the lack of mobility was the worst part about it. I was covering a hockey game once and when i was done filing photos from the press box, I went to stand up, and I simply couldn't straighten up... I was wheel chaired out by friends and driven home. It was embarrassing. It flares up once in a while, but I take much better care of it, doing stretches almost every day. Core strengthening is key if its a lower back injury (something I still have to be more diligent about)... Sorry, tangent.... Back pain sucks, and should be taken seriously... I hope for your sake, it's nothing major, bud.

that sucks!!
Hope you're not having a herniated disk which would be really bad. I have two herniated discs for years now and it's no fun.
Once it happened I couldn't walk or move, sit, stand, the pain was excruciating, and the weakness in my legs lasted for months.
After a lot of physical therapy and strengthening the lower back and especially my belly muscles it got better over the years.
Right now I would rest, you heat and good pain medication to cope with it. When the worst part is over and you're feeling better I would start with exercises for your back. But take it slow in the beginning.
A hot bath also helps to relax the muscles, and put a pillow under your knees when laying in bed. It helps your back to relax.

just repeat what the above posters all said - depends on where it is, what it is. I've got a naturally fused L4/L5 that occasionally puts me out of action for days to weeks at a time. R.I.C.E. - Muscle relaxers at night, chiro, and massage are the only things that bring me out of it. Magic pill to pull you out of it by Saturday - depends on how bad, but unlikely.

that sucks!!
Hope you're not having a herniated disk which would be really bad. I have two herniated discs for years now and it's no fun.
Once it happened I couldn't walk or move, sit, stand, the pain was excruciating, and the weakness in my legs lasted for months.
After a lot of physical therapy and strengthening the lower back and especially my belly muscles it got better over the years.
Right now I would rest, you heat and good pain medication to cope with it. When the worst part is over and you're feeling better I would start with exercises for your back. But take it slow in the beginning.
A hot bath also helps to relax the muscles, and put a pillow under your knees when laying in bed. It helps your back to relax.

I've also been told to sleep with a pillow between my legs (I sleep on my side most of the time), not sure if it helps or not, but I do it often...

I've also been told to sleep with a pillow between my legs (I sleep on my side most of the time), not sure if it helps or not, but I do it often...
This method actually works. i was told the same thing and i did it. It does take the pressure off the nerve for pain relief. Of course when the pain is there it's still pretty hard to be comfortable.

I have had back issues for years, Upper and Lower back, Ribs that like to pop out, sciatic nerve issues, disk slippage etc.. I actually started going through something called Alignment therapy last fall (a combination of Massage that doesn't feel good at all, posture correction and specific physical therapy) and have not had my back in as good of shape as it is now since I was 19.. you want to get a good diagnosis of what is going on first then you might want to talk to someone who does Alignment therapy and see what they can do for you.. If interested I can get you the name of my friend that does it...
FYI I hate pain meds they only mask issues not solve them :)

Sore but I can move. It was really weird. I was standing not lifting anything, or bending over, just standing there and wham, this unworldly pain hits me!

definitely ice, no heat for at least a few weeks and take an ibuprofen regimen for a few days at least too to get all the inflammation down