Aspen Grove (May 4 2012)

barl0w

I slay white dragons, adventure, and take photos
MotionX Track: Aspen Grove (one-way)

I love hiking Timpanogos. I wanted to check things out this afternoon, but didn't get to get out as early as I intended due to work, and also because Timpanooke TH was closed, and I didn't find out until I was heading up to the Ranger pay station.

So, we turned around and went up Aspen Grove to see how the snow was melting.

The hike up to 2nd waterfall was easy with only a few small patches of unmelted snow along the trail. Something new to me was a deviation in the first part of the trail due to the heavy floods last year.

Here's looking back from just after the 2nd waterfall:
DSC_2280.jpg

Still lots of snow from this waterfall and above, and I'd guess that it'll be a good month of warm temps before the snow fields above really start to melt good. I couldn't see any waterfalls above the 2nd waterfall because they were covered with snow.

Here's the snow left at the 2nd waterfall:

DSC_2273.jpg

Me and the boys next:

DSC_2271.jpg

I wish I got a photo of the mama and baby moose we passed on the way down - but they were probably 3 seconds of a fast gallop away from us, and we didn't notice them until we got past. So, after getting a quick peek we kept on trucking on down so as to not aggravate. Every time I've seen a mom and baby there, the male wasn't far away, and no one I know wants to get trampled.

My goal is to hike Timp 5 times this year. I think it'll be the first week of June and I'll check the trail out again. Have a great weekend!

Awesome. Looks kind of like July last year! :D
Yeah seriously! I was going over a bunch of snow fields in July, and was amazed at the melting rate each time I went up (3x up Timpanooke).

Yeah seriously! I was going over a bunch of snow fields in July, and was amazed at the melting rate each time I went up (3x up Timpanooke).

Good to know Bill isn't the only Timpaholic on backcountrypost! :lol: I haven't done it yet. Every time I've planned it, I back out because of all the people and I've been working on knocking out a bunch of Uinta locations the last few years. I need to change that in 2012...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry My Timpanogos: Timpooneke or Aspen Grove? Trip Planning 10
jonmessina Timp: Timpooneke or Aspen Grove route Trip Planning 9
barl0w Klondike Snow Cave Camping at Aspen Grove, UT 3/16/12 Everything Else 3
Janice Aspen to Crested Butte - end of September? Trip Planning 11
Rockskipper Wolf spotted near Aspen? General Discussion 17
regehr Aspen this week Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Aspen to Crested Butte & back Everything Else 4
M Castle & Conundrum Peaks - Aspen, CO Hiking & Camping 0
Laura Aspen on Boulder Mountain Trip Planning 5
Ranger Joe 7: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt7...hitting the slopes near Aspen Off Road 0
Joe Guardsman Pass and the Dying Aspen General Discussion 4
WasatchWill Grove Creek: A Father-Daughter Backpacking Trip Backpacking 8
D Redwood Mountain Grove (Sequoia National Park) Trip Planning 1
kimbur96 Weekend at Spruce Grove CG with hiking in Lost Creek Wilderness Hiking & Camping 1
WasatchWill Daddy-Daughter: Grove Creek - Battle Creek Loop Backpacking 6
Nick Limber Pine & Tony Grove Hiking & Camping 8
Ben Yosemite Falls, Panorama Cliff, Tuolomne Grove Hiking & Camping 7
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
BeardoMcGrath Willow/Fortymile Exploration: 10-12 May 2023 Backpacking 9
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Lookout Peak - May 27, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Parley's Ridge - May 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 21
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
Upgrayedd SLC to Oregon Coast to Reno to SLC - May 26th - June 4th Trip Planning 10
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek, April – May 2022 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I'll take the High Road ..." - A Loop Hike around the Canyons of Needles - May 2022 Trip Reports 14
scatman Dale Peak - May 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
norwegianxplorer Hiking the unique hoodoos landscape of EL TORCAL de Antequera in Spain at sunrise, May 2022 Hiking & Camping 0
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
Rockskipper You have more impact than you may think General Discussion 2
scatman Grandeur and Church Fork Peaks Loop - May 29, 2021 Hiking & Camping 19
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Lewiston Peak - May 15, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
E Water in the Needles early-May 2021 Trip Planning 3
forest dweller When backpacking, what do you bring a backup of, despite the ultralight backpacking community suggesting you may be crazy? Gear 49
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Yvonne Hiking Connector Trail to Northgate Peaks on Zion Opening Day, May 13 Hiking & Camping 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
J Kanab: Two New Trails! April 30-May 1, 2019 Hiking & Camping 2
Ugly Sleeping with Pfieff, Maybird in May, or Summer -Winter Backpacking Winter Sports 7
Mikjik86 Flooded out in Death Hollow, Utah. May - 2019 Backpacking 4
Yvonne Kolob Terrace exploration: from Hop Valley to North Gate Peaks, May 2019 Hiking & Camping 7
Jon Carbaugh Yellowstone, Wildlife and Slough Creek May 23 to 26th Hiking & Camping 20