Arizona and Utah wanderings

Ross

Apologies if anyone has seen this trip report on another site, but I've never put one on here and thought it's about time. A few new photos are on this one though, but I couldn't attach the panoramics unfortunately because when I tried uploading here it said they used too much memory. I'll also add a few taken with another camera and stored on another laptop soon, so the words might not quite match the pics.

This isn’t so much a hike trip report as a road trip report of a series of hikes – none longer than about 9 hours - during a 3-week vacation that took us to some amazing places. I thought I’d run through the trip and some of my favourite photos, and include a few slightly lesser visited places.

The first stop was Valley of Fire State Park where temperatures at sunset remained 108F, but the next morning brought more bearable temperatures for a few hours of exploring around the slickrock..

061 imp.JPG

126_1 imp.jpg

133_1n imp.jpg

By contrast the morning shade in Kanaraville canyon the next day was actually unexpectedly cold

View attachment 15825

Then after doing the Narrows top down, I did some of it bottom up with my family.

229_1 imp_1.jpg

249_1 imp.jpg

The next day we aimed for Fat Man's Misery, but trying to take a sandy road to cut down the time backfired as we reached a wash bank we couldn't get up and so it would have been a long very hot hike to start the slot, so instead it was Poverty and an exit out of the East Fork of the Virgin through the short but beautiful French Canyon.

View attachment 15826

That night menacing storm clouds were the backdrop to zion's sunset.

272_1 imp.jpg

And a similar weather situation at Lake Powell

337_1 cropped.jpg

Heading east a morning thunderstorm restricted our plans to a short hike up to the Nautilus, where my 6-year-old thought she was in rock playground heaven – scrambling up and down the corkscrew of rock probably around 50 times!
She then had a thoroughly good time with her new friend from Kanab hiking Round Valley draw – leading the pace in the canyon and having fun in the ankle deep mud at some of the rockjams, but slowing to more of a bored dawdle along the rim which didn’t offer the same fun and excitement. Thankfully there was some cloud cover.

View attachment 15827

She also enjoyed posing in Waterholes.

368.JPG

A long drive then took us to Arch Canyon where an unpaved road led us to a gorgeous sunset rim viewpoint.

And the next day the Black Hole where despite it being August the water was only just about bearable in a wetsuit.

That was our turn around point to head back west to tackle the Spencer trail which offered another amazing Colorado horseshoe similar to the more famous one in Page. It was a steep slog up and I was thankful both for my dawn start and the fact that the whole way up was in the shadow side of the cliff, but on my return to Lees Ferry I was so hot that I couldn’t resist a dip in the ice cold Colorado waters released from the depths of Lake Powell. Unsurprisingly for August, no-one else was mad enough to do the trail.
By the time I was down a welcome dip in the Colorado which was freezing, but refreshing. (I picked a spot that a park ranger said was safe, but beware of swimming in it as most of it is not)

456.JPG

En route to Prescott we stopped at some rim overlooks near Tuba City.

477_1 imp.jpg

511_1 imp.jpg

522_1 cropped_1.jpg

561_1 imp.jpg

600_1 cropped_imp.jpg

before a drive down to the Granite Dells where we caught a good dusk

704.JPG

Somewhere in between those stops above we'd camped overlooking Lake Powell, where my arachnaphobe girlfriend was put off camping after spotting a tarantula wandering around the tent.

276_1 iimp.jpg

612_1 IMP.jpg

At Granite Dells a distant rainstorm threatened to get us, but it never did.

713.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
No need to apologize, Ross! Thanks for posting this! A lot of us don't get onto a lot of the other sites, and I think those that do would be more than happy to see these beautiful photos twice! Keep 'em coming! :)

Looks fun. Did you need any kind of permits to recreate in Tuba City? I have heard some of the stuff is on reservation land and you need a guide.

a
Looks fun. Did you need any kind of permits to recreate in Tuba City? I have heard some of the stuff is on reservation land and you need a guide.

On the Navajo land we had to get a $10 permit - probably Page is the nearest place - and drove and rim walked ourselves. (ours was to camp, but I think just to hike you'd need one). On the Hopi land it seemed they'd only recently had a meeting to discuss the rules as some people didn't want any tourists, but apparently the latest decision as of last fall was that you could go with a guide which is what we did as our car would not have been up to it anyway.
Although I'm all for everyone enjoying the scenery as I obviously did myself, I must admit when you go further away from the turno off from the paved road on the Navajo land it does look quite fragile if lots of people start going, as to reach some of the rim viewpoints direct from the main track would involve traipsing over a lot of cryptobiotic soil, as well as disturbing the occasional person who lives on very isolated farms. But there are also some unpaved tracks to rim viewpoints that don't involve damaging vegetation.
As nothing is laid on for visitors, every person exploring off of the minor tracks - and the tracks don't necessarily lead to the most photogenic rim spots although all along the rims is good - would be making their own new hiking trail and doing their own damage. So any decisions on regulations are tricky

Beautiful photos. Second from last, with the red and white bands. Where is that?