An ascent of Table Mountain, Tetons

Kullaberg63

When passing through Teton Valley after a few days mountain biking near Jackson, my kid noticed on the map a trail leading to a peak, with a description stating this lofty vantage point the finest place from which to see the Grand Teton.

Immidiately excited we swung the van up Teton Creek, while looking closer at our objective. The trailhead was low, 7200', and the summit over 11000'. Not too bad except the trail mileage was listed as only 4 miles, and last two looked mostly level. So very steep right out of the car. Another enticing factor was the obvious low snow line, following an above average winter. The presence of grizzlies, an hitherto unknown aspect of our usual outdoor pursuits, added a last appeal.

We found a good camp and awoke to partly cloudy skies and a forecast for thunderstorms. The Tetons are known as a magnet for afternoon lightning and violent deluges so we decided to keep an extra vigilant eye to the skies, but otherwise proceed wit our plan.

The trail did indeed ascend 3000' in first mile and a half. As can be imagined such steepness is not part of regular official trailbuilding, nor is it sustainable to halting erosion and preserving the illusion of actually being on anything more than a 'route'.

We hit 100% snow coverage at 9000', but a reasonbly cold night and typical early summer conditions permitted us to walk on top, mostly. In fact this was much better than the rubbly, eroded trail, now pleasingly buried under clean white snow.

The summit cone was bare and had a steep path thru some cliffbands, before things came to an abrupt precipice and the splendor of the entire central Teton Range lay before us.

Neither grizzlies nor thunderstorms bothered us on this altogether fine day in the mountains. Later in the season one can avoid the steep trail we did, called the Face Trail, for a more gradual creek bottom route further north.

by kullaberg631, on Flickr
The Face Trail, in all it's steepness. Off course, in pics it does not look steep at all, yet it ascends 3000' in a little more than a mile and a half.

The upper part of the route goes along the snowy corniced ridge to the right. Yes, that's a tired dog in foreground.

Approaching the summit cone.

My wife, kid and dog on top. Grand Teton behind.

Heading down. The really steep part drops out of view behind the end of the snowy ridge.

What's mountaineering without snow?

The ominous sign at the beginning of the trail. And yes, I would highly recommend it!

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

One of the best views of the Teton area on clear days.....

A nice loop on the backside starts at Teton CG, head up to Granite Basin via Leigh Crk, cross country to Table Mtn, cross country to Alaska Basin and back to Teton CG. Or you can even drop in to Lake Solitude (tough) and up Cascade to Hurricane Pass, Alaska Basin....but then you have the NP regs to contend with if you can't make it to Huricane to camp.

Thanks for the info on snow conditions. I'm taking my son up Tuesday.

Wow your dog is a trooper for a little guy. 3000 ft in 1.5 miles is very steep. There is a popular hike here in NJ to the summit of Mount Tammany overlooking the Delaware Water Gap which is considered steep by NJ standards... but it only climbs 1300 feet in 1.5 miles. I need to move out west so I can hike with the big boys.

And awesome pics btw!

What book? I think the face trail is 10 miles round trip. I prefer the 14 mile route. Last did Table just over a year ago. Quite different than your conditions. I think you made a great choice to do it that early in a heavy lingering snowpack. The three times I've done it twice Scouts and Church groups flooded the mountain in the hundreds. Thanks for Sharing.