A Trip Worth Taking - Emigrant Lake, CA

Miya

Because I am able.
Lots of pictures this time...

https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/Emigrant-Lake

One of my best friends has been trying to set me up with her brother, ooooooh, for the last year and a half. Since I have no interest of that in my life at this present moment, I avoided her attempts like the plague. Yet, she constantly hit me with ‘Oh, but he loves hiking and camping’.

Since I was down all backpacking friends, I decided I better meet this guy. We all went car camping last month, he came across as ‘normal’ and has an equal disinterest in ‘falling in love’. So, I immediately planned a backpacking trip for us. I am so relieved to have someone that enjoys backpacking and he mentors to a bunch of boys that were happy to come along!

07.06.18 - 07.08.18

Introducing (from left to right): David (adult), Justin, Kalom, Camden

Emigrant Lake-58.jpg

We started hiking at 1700 (only a 4 mile hike to the lake), so were eaten by ravenous mosquitos. They caused grotesque, mutant looking formations on my body, bruised and swollen, I was not loving life. Luckily, the mosquitos didn’t bother us around camp. We ignored the rules and camped right at this waterfall (jail time for me), just 0.3 miles short of the lake.

Caples Lake before Emigrant Lake

Emigrant Lake-2.jpg

Camp view (very loud).

Emigrant Lake-4.jpg

Soooooo many wonderful flowers all around. I was smiles the whole time!

Emigrant Lake-11.jpg

Emigrant Lake-15.jpg

Emigrant Lake-13.jpg

A smaller fall near our camp.

Emigrant Lake-12.jpg

One of the kiddos peed a little too close to their tent in the middle of the night...Haha

Emigrant Lake-18.jpg

No more Lego Miya. I have been obsessed with Studio Ghibli since I was little and they represent me more accurately. I already have plans to make myself a photo booklet 'The Adventures of Totoro and Friends'. :p

Emigrant Lake-24.jpg

Emigrant Lake Photos.

Emigrant Lake-34.jpg

Emigrant Lake-28.jpg

The boys were trying to see who would stay in longest. The water was sooooo cold! Camden won after about 40 minutes.

Emigrant Lake-30.jpg

I demanded someone catch a fish for me, so they could teach me how to gut it! However, the pole ended up breaking, so they gave up.

Emigrant Lake-33.jpg

Emigrant Lake-37.jpg

He has never been to a place like this. It is wonderful getting to share that moment with someone.

Emigrant Lake-50.jpg

Look it this cutie patootie!!

Emigrant Lake-32.jpg

Hammock fun!

Emigrant Lake-40.jpg

Emigrant Lake-43.jpg

I gave Camden my camera on the hike back so he could get pics of my new pack! Going from 5.28 lbs to 1lb 10 oz has been awesome! Besides having a sweaty back now, I love Superior Wilderness Design pack!

Emigrant Lake-61.jpg

Me, stupid happy!

Emigrant Lake-65.jpg

This has been my favorite trip so far and has only increased my love of being outdoors. We pigged out on Taco Bell on the way home. Perfect trip to me! :)

Last edited:
Love it! I’ve never had the pleasure of introducing someone to backpacking so it was nice to see this. I’ve been trying to drag my little nephew out forever but it never materializes for one reason or another. I have no idea what Studio Ghibli is but I guess they’ll do. All great photos but I really love the butterfly shot. Do you mind me asking what your camera setup is?

Love it! I’ve never had the pleasure of introducing someone to backpacking so it was nice to see this. I’ve been trying to drag my little nephew out forever but it never materializes for one reason or another. I have no idea what Studio Ghibli is but I guess they’ll do. All great photos but I really love the butterfly shot. Do you mind me asking what your camera setup is?

Yeah it was amazing having younger ones around. They bickered the whole time and cracked me up!
I have a Canon Rebel T5i, and I use the lens it came with, 95% of the time. I brought along my 70-200 telephoto also. I either bring the big lens or my tripod, but not both.
Even when I do bring my tripod, I rarely use it.
I am looking at upgrading my camera. Something lighter, maybe mirrorless. I can tell my photos aren't as sharp as they used to be when I first got the camera, even with my tripod (maybe just my imagination??).
I am usually seen on my back, crouched oddly, laying on my stomach, any sort of uncomfortable peculiar position to get the shot I want haha.
I take all my shots in manual, so I miss a lot of shots because of how slow I am at adjusting my settings, but practice makes better!

All that crouching and maneuvering looks like it pays off. Lots of great composition. Looking forward to a review of the SWD pack.

It is a great thing when you can introduce someone to the outdoors and have them enjoy it! Thanks for sharing,

Nice shots and report! I like Totoro too. It's one of my daughters favorites.

I'm afraid if I got down in some of those positions to get a picture, I would never get back up. :)

Nice shots and report! I like Totoro too. It's one of my daughters favorites.

I'm afraid if I got down in some of those positions to get a picture, I would never get back up. :)

Awww so great! Not many people know who Totoro is.

Yeah, it can be a struggle to get back up, usually have to use my trekking pole or a person (if one is available). Haha

Great report--and great photos. You get credit for taking young people into the wilderness, too. this summer our daughter, now 30, is coming home just to take one more backpacking trip with us....we could not be more delighted.

That sounds special :) Hope to see a trip report.

What a treat it must have been for those young guys to get out like that. Looks like they had a good time in good hands. Good job guys!

Great report Miya. I really like the waterfall pics. How do you get those to look so good without a tripod?

One more question...in one of the pictures it looks like there is a structure on top of the peak above that lake. Is that an old lookout tower or something?

Great report Miya. I really like the waterfall pics. How do you get those to look so good without a tripod?

One more question...in one of the pictures it looks like there is a structure on top of the peak above that lake. Is that an old lookout tower or something?

Determination! Haha
I usually lay down on my belly and use something around me.
Oh, I remember, I used my bear canister for the first fall and a fallen tree for the second. Then I burst shot 3 or 4 and keep the decent one.

We weren't sure what that was, but I remember seeing what looked like more or them off to the right out of the pictures.