A return to Lost Lake

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
Greetings trekkers. This past weekend we decided to get out and play in the snow one last time before it's gone. We spent 3ish days and 2 nights at Lost Lake which is located on the west side of Michigan's lower peninsula between Baldwin and Ludington.

The primary objective was snowshoeing and CC skiing. Friday we arrived at the TH and prepared to snowshoe back to the lake. Because of the amount of gear that I use for winter camping I prefer to pull a pulk rather than haul a backpack. It's custom made for SAR efforts and works really well both on and off trail.

Saturday after breakfast we spent the entire day CC skiing. It was a blast! Most of the trails had been groomed which means it was great for speed and control. As we wrapped up the day the sun came out which is always good for the soul. Gathered wood and enjoyed a fire, dinner and some conversation.

Sunday after breakfast we packed up and headed back to the TH. Then we put the ski's back on a did a few more miles before returning to the TH and began the long trip home.

I had a chance to use my GoPro for the first time on this trip. It worked nicely and took great 1080 video.I wasn't able to shoot while skiing so most of the video is in camp and to and from the TH. Here is the only issue I had with it. I used it with the waterproof case the entire weekend so there is NO audio. Damn it! Take a look if you like and know that it was a good lesson learned.

Last edited:
@scatman This pulk was custom built by a friend of mine who builds them for SAR missions. He buys a standard sled from most any hardware store and cuts the rim or edge off. Then he extends the sides up about a foot with "horse drag" material. It's all pop riveted with nylon supports in the back. The inner bottom straps are designed so that when you load gear on top of them it keeps the sled from bowing out. I bought the poles and waist belt from "skipulk.com" They are 1/2" fiberglass. It works best when you crisscross the poles. That way it will track behind you better when turning. I had about 55 lbs in it on this trip but the claimed weight capacity is closser to 80 lbs.

@Joey Yes. That is what is called a "handpresso". It makes a great shot of espresso. About 15 bars of pressure and you should end up with good crema when it's all said and done.

pulk1.jpg
pulk2.jpg
sled.jpg

I forgot to mention. It is SOOOO much easier to pull a sled through the snow than it is to haul a backpack. Plus you can bring a ton more luxury items (real food, chair, clothing, skies, etc..) without worry. I think the poles are a must vs. simple rope, too. That way when you're going down hill it doesn't run you over.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Lake Powell and the 'return' of Glen Canyon General Discussion 24
Jackson A Successful Return to the Bechler Backpacking 18
K Retired From Work Today ... Time to Return to the Wilds! General Discussion 20
LarryBoy IGBC Prepares for Grizzly Return to Bitterroots General Discussion 17
OldBill A return to the Winds: Sept 12-28, 2019 Backpacking 8
mattvogt7 A Rainy Return Backpacking 8
Nick New REI return policy? Gear 30
Jackson Return to the San Rafael River Gorge Backpacking 17
AbinadiWitness Return to THE FORMATION, etc. - The Second Time Was, Indeed, the Charm - 18-20 May 2017 Hiking & Camping 5
Parma Bighorn Crags, Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness Backpacking 14
Udink Return to Amethyst Basin Backpacking 2
WasatchWill Family Backpacking: Return to Ruth Lake Backpacking 0
Ugly A Return to La Verkin Creek and Kolob Backpacking 4
John Goering Return to Goose Lake/Grasshopper Glacier area of the Beartooth Mountains Hiking & Camping 7
WasatchWill Return to Middle Basin, Hayden Pk, & Bald Mtn Backpacking 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
Nick Return to Fiftymile On The Water 10
ram Return to Mumbai Canyon Canyoneering 4
IntrepidXJ Return to The Island Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Return to the Unexpected Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Return to Zion Hiking & Camping 5
jdgibney Possible Early April Return Trip Planning 7
powderglut Return To Coyote Gulch Backpacking 7
IntrepidXJ Return to Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 4
IntrepidXJ Return to Big Dominguez Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Return to the Great Gallery Hiking & Camping 6
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Lost River Range in Idaho : Bear Creek Lake & Upper Basin Backpacking 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Oregon's Cottonwood Canyon : Lost Corral Trail Backpacking 1
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
Outdoor_Fool Lost and Found General Discussion 1
msteudel Boulder Mountain North Slope UT: Donkey Res. to Lost Lake? Trip Planning 1
Rockskipper Some who wander are lost. General Discussion 16
Miya Lost Coast Trail Questions Trip Planning 0
Udink Lost Park Canyons Hiking & Camping 3
Aldaron Lost GoPro General Discussion 2
S Lost Creek Wilderness: 16-19 Sept. 2017 Backpacking 6
MikeM Sperry Chalet lost in wildfire General Discussion 4
Wanderlust073 Bison Peak overnight - Lost Creek Wilderness, CO Backpacking 5
kimbur96 Weekend at Spruce Grove CG with hiking in Lost Creek Wilderness Hiking & Camping 1
kimbur96 Lost Creek Wilderness, Goose Creek to Shaft House. Backpacking 4
kimbur96 Lost Lake Snowshoe Winter Sports 5
Eugene Lost Wilderness - Colorado Trail - Brookside McCurdy - Wigwam - Rolling Creek Loop Backpacking 0
kimbur96 Bison Peak, Lost Creek Wilderness, CO Backpacking 12
kimbur96 Lost Creek Wilderness, Ute Creek TH to Bison Peak ? Trip Planning 0
Rositasbonitas Lost Coast Trail Ride April 29th or May 1st Backpacking 0
balzaccom I Once was Lost... Backpacking 0
River Lost Dog in the Winds General Discussion 1