A Pedley kind of day- ridgewalking in the BC Rockies.

SteveR

We spent last week on a truck camping loop starting in the Columbia valley in British Columbia, then returning home to Alberta via the Crowsnest Pass with a detour to Waterton NP for a couple of days. Along with biking pathways and rail trails, we did a couple of outstanding ridge hikes- this is the first of them. Based out of Radium for a few days along with a group of friends, our original plans for hikes in the Purcells on the west side of the Columbia valley were stymied by the very late melt of a deeper than normal winter snowpack. Not to worry- a re-do of Pedley Ridge was not a letdown, especially as our first visit, last year at the same time, was marred by wildfire smoke and looming thunderclouds.
A relatively short drive off the highway south of Invermere on mining and logging roads, and then an uneventful forest hike upwards on a very good trail, took us to treeline and the start of the traverse:
P1280264-copy-2.jpg
Descending the first of several bumps along the undulating ridge:
P1280266-copy-2.jpg
Ahead- our lunch spot at far left:
P1280267-copy-2.jpg
Looking back at the first third of the ridge:P1280271-copy-2.jpg
Ridgewalking:
P1280275-copy-2.jpg
Settling in for a long break at the summit cairn:
P1280282-copy-2.jpg
Mount Assiniboine dominating the skyline to the north:
P1280292-copy-2.jpg
Not a bad spot at all for lunch:
P1280279-copy-2.jpg
Continuing on. A good trail leads easily along the crest, with a few minor scrambly bits to spice things up:
P1280293-copy-2.jpg
Looking back, with a couple of hikers going the other way visible at the summit:
P1280296-copy-2.jpg
A good look at the rest of our route, along the ridge to the treed saddle, then into the right hand cirque beyond:
Pedley-Panorama-copy-2.jpg
Glade of glacier lilies at a short drop to treeline, with Mount Pedley at right. And who was this Pedley- who in addition to the the ridge we are hiking and a mountain, has a pass, tarn and falls bearing his name? I was curious too, and it turns out he was an English settler from the late 1900's whose main claim to fame seems to be evading the law for over a year in the mountains, after charges of illegally supplying liquor to the natives:
P1280302-copy-2.jpg
A look back at most of the ridge, with the first bump just peeking out at left, behind the long flat topped main summit. Only occasional drifted areas of snow remain here, as we are on the drier Rockies (east) side of the Rocky Mountain trench:
P1280308-copy-2.jpg
Onwards:
P1280300-copy-2.jpg
At the final bump. As it is such a fine afternoon, a side trip to Pedley tarn is called for, hidden here by the trees guarding the entrance to the cirque at right:
P1280311-copy-2.jpg
From Pedley pass, the trail drops easily into the basin:
P1280334-copy-2.jpg
Snowbanks remain, but the trail is melted out:
P1280336-copy-2.jpg
Well, mostly melted:
P1280338-copy-2.jpg
Western anemone, it's still spring up here:
P1280361-copy-2.jpg
Pedley tarn!
P1280345-copy-2.jpg
Another long break is called for, with some theraputic foot soaking at lakeshore:
P1280343-copy-2.jpg
Parting shot before backtracking to the pass, and closing the loop with a quick descent through forest and occasional meadow to the trailhead, with not a lot to see as flower season is late this year. What an awesome day to be in the mountains!
P1280346-copy-2.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful country! When I see photos of Mt. Assiniboine, I think of the incredible story of Lizzie Rummel and the Assiniboine Lodge. Wishing I was up there right now. Lots of good memories of that area. Wonderful photos and TR - thanks!

Great TR! I need to add this to my bucket list! Hopefully spend a week exploring the area

Great TR! I need to add this to my bucket list! Hopefully spend a week exploring the area
If planning long term I would go in the third week of July at the earliest. This year was an outlier with a very late snow melt, but by going a bit later you could hedge your bets as:
-the Purcell range especially is a high snowfall area. Prime places like the Bugaboos, Jumbo Pass and Lake of the Hanging Glacier are still very snow covered. Some trails have seasonal bridges that are removed in fall, and have been just recently installed for the summer.
-Most everything is accessed via logging/mining roads. If not being actively used as such and therefore regularly maintained , washouts or stream crossings from early summer run-off are common. Some of these are yet to be repaired.
-a swim at Lake Windermere or one of the smaller lakes on the westside is a great way to end a hiking day. Last week the water was still cold.
Summit Trail Makers maintain many of the trails, and also have a FB page:
For interest, this is Diana Lake, north of Radium on the east side of the Columbia valley, a week ago. The final km of trail was 50% snow covered. Arnold's mask has nothing to do with covid, he is recovering from skin cancer surgery and forgot the bandana that he had been using to protect the scar from the sun back at camp.
P1280407-copy-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks you! Had thought about doing part of the Skyline Trail. Timing is certainly important. I 'd rather avoid hordes but also like to still get my annual Sept visit to the Winds as well.

So awesome! I really need to head up there some day; you're photos make it look like absolute paradise (ridge hikes like that are the best!)

What a great day, I need to get back to the Canadian Rockies.