$500.00 dollars...

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I am looking to buy a new camera. This will be my first real camera aside from the little point and shoot or the one on my phone I carry around. I finally decided to count up my five-quart mason jars of change and it is roughly a $100.00 a jar. What would you recommend for a fist timer with a budget of around $500.00 ? Mirrorless , dslr or keep saving my money for a better quality camera. I have looked around on line and it's honestly mind boggling. I have no idea what I should be looking for as far as features. Are refurbished cameras OK to buy? Any advise would be of great help. Thanks

i don't know much about cameras, but when we started backpacking I got a Sony NEX-5N mirrorless camera because it had a great combination of being lightweight, easy to use, and produced good quality photos and acceptable video. You should be able to get one of those with an 18-55mm lense for much less than $500. I also have an Olympus "Tough" TG-2, which was consistenly rated as one of the most durable cameras. It also does good video as well as photos, but not as good as the NEX-5N. The TG-3 is out now, and it should be much less than $500. I stayed away from DSLRs because I didn't want the extra weight.

What's your goal in upgrading? Do you want to pack around a big ol' camera everywhere you go?
I'm not totally aposed to the idea of a large body camera. On the other hand if I could get some better quality pictures with more detail (than my phone) in a smaller package that would be great too. This would be the camera that i would take on backpacking trips. I guess I should ask if you had to pick just one for all around picture taking what would you do. I would love to learn how to take beautiful landscape photos and have been looking into some photo workshops up in pocatello at the university. Not sure what to do...

i don't know much about cameras, but when we started backpacking I got a Sony NEX-5N mirrorless camera because it had a great combination of being lightweight, easy to use, and produced good quality photos and acceptable video. You should be able to get one of those with an 18-55mm lense for much less than $500. I also have an Olympus "Tough" TG-2, which was consistenly rated as one of the most durable cameras. It also does good video as well as photos, but not as good as the NEX-5N. The TG-3 is out now, and it should be much less than $500. I stayed away from DSLRs because I didn't want the extra weight.
I have looked at the Sony line of mirrorless cameras on Amozon. They look nice and have good reviews. Mabey?

I have been using Panasonic Super Zooms for quite a few years........ Currently have the DMC-FZ60.. I think the DMC-FZ200 looks pretty good. They are pretty lightweight.

But the 'real' photo guys will say interchangeable lenses..... :)

I think the canon eos M with the 22mm pancake lens is a really touch package to beat right now. Battery life isn't great, but it does great photos and videos. If you want longer lenses, it no longer becomes very pocketable, but it is quite versatile.

If your budget is $500 I'd recommend a high-end point and shoot like the [Canon Powershot G16](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFILHB4/?tag=backcountrypo-20), especially if you're not 100% sure about going DSLR. I have the much older G7 and it has produced some awesome photos! Otherwise you probably need to save a little more $ to get a semi decent dslr. You could probably score a nice used one though!

If your budget is $500 I'd recommend a high-end point and shoot like the [Canon Powershot G16](http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFILHB4/?tag=backcountrypo-20), especially if you're not 100% sure about going DSLR. I have the much older G7 and it has produced some awesome photos! Otherwise you probably need to save a little more $ to get a semi decent dslr. You could probably score a nice used one though!
I wondered about going used/refurbished to get more camera for my dollar. You can buy factory refurbished one for a pretty good discount. Thanks for the link I will check it out...

In my opinion, a DSLR is only as good as the lens attached to it. In order for a DSLR to outperform a high-quality P&S, you'll need a good lens. There are exceptions, but once you've paid for a DSLR body, you typically won't have much $ leftover for a great lens, even used. There are a couple super cheap, fantastic lenses (like the nifty 50), but they're the exception not the rule. I think a really high quality P&S could be a great option.

Sony a6000 with kit lens can be had for a tad over 500.00. that would get you into a system you could invest more into in the future. Otherwise I would say get one of the excellent Canon G series cameras.

I wondered about going used/refurbished to get more camera for my dollar. You can buy factory refurbished one for a pretty good discount. Thanks for the link I will check it out...

I have purchased used from B&H and Adorama, both with success. You can return the item within 30 days if it does not meet your needs. I have also purchased refurbished bodies from Canon at a good discount and warranty. I have purchased used on Ebay a couple of times, you just have to do a little research on the buyer.

B&H has some specials right now, and Canon is offering rebates on a lot of things. I just saw you can buy a 6D (body only) for $1400 or so with the rebate. I'm not sure I can pass that up!

I don't claim to know anything about photography but if you're thinking of getting one of the earlier models of the Sony mirrorless cameras I have the NEX-3N which I think was the first one. I didn't want to spend a lot because I'm a photography noob and that's just what BCP will do to a guy. I got it super cheap for around $300 and I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to spend more to upgrade to one of the newer models when a new camera is in my budget again. Keep in mind, I'm extremely simple minded with photography and don't hike for the purpose of photographing like the great artists on here. I just want to be able to take decent pictures as a way to preserve the memories. For that purpose, the NEX-3N works well for me. I'd imagine the newer Sony mirrorless models are even better.

If your interested in one of the older Sony mirrorless models, message me and I can send you the links to the TR's I used this camera for.

Geez ....... would you get a Ferrari to learn to drive? Give suggestions for someone new to photo's to learn on, then you go spend mega $$ on something.
You guys trying to make $ with photos are fine buying/using high $ stuff and you should use way better cameras, but not people who just want 'decent' photos from their trips.....or just getting into it.

You've gotta start somewhere, Bob. It just depends on what each person's ultimate goal is. Few do it, but it's a lot less expensive to buy your last camera first.

Personally, I actually like having a big camera with me on my trips. I don't sell or market my landscape photos, at least not as fine art like some do. It's not to make money necessarily. I like it because it takes the highest quality image that I've found and that is the best way to preserve the memory. When I look back at photos from years past, I often wish I'd had X camera or X lens then because the quality difference is so obvious. Some places are on my list to go back to simply so I can capture them with a better camera and improved skills.

With that said, if it was smaller and lighter and did the same thing, I'd be stoked. I wasn't super impressed with my foray into m4/3. The new Sony stuff sounds like it has potential, but I'll admit to being a bit anti-Sony. I used to be an electronics buyer and I just hated their entire process and the way they approached their tech. But now that @gnwatts picked a full frame A7R up, I have to admit I'm interested. Really looking forward to hearing more about how that goes.

Tater - Before you think a ton about which camera, I'd just think a lot about what you really want to accomplish. As others have mentioned, there are great middle of the road kind of options. I'd get one that shoots in RAW so you can start playing with editing - that's a huge aspect of moving up into the nicer cameras. You might think for thousands of dollars it would just produce a nicer image, but really you have to work harder for each one of them compared to the auto-tuned JPEGs that cheaper cameras pump out. Granted, you can set your fancy camera to do the same, but then you lose much of the real power in there.

So I guess my recommendation is either go with something cheapish but nice like a G-series Canon or go all the way and get something with interchangeable lenses. But if you do, I say go big or go home. A Canon Rebel kit is a nice intro, but if you're going to lug all that around, I'd try to work up from there to make it worthwhile. At least with some nicer glass like a good ultrawide, if not a full jump up to something like a 6D 24-105 kit (best bang for the buck right now, IMO). And remember that while a nice body is important, nice glass is probably even more important and that all adds up pretty fast.

Geez ....... would you get a Ferrari to learn to drive? Give suggestions for someone new to photo's to learn on, then you go spend mega $$ on something.
You guys trying to make $ with photos are fine buying/using high $ stuff and you should use way better cameras, but not people who just want 'decent' photos from their trips.....or just getting into it.
I have always wanted a Ferrari.What do you think I could get for my $500.00?;) I do see your point though...

haha.....a lug nut....
Like me, I learned on a VW................now own a Porsche Targa. Wouldn't want to grind the gears learning on the Porsche.. :)

Back