3-day Canyonlands trip in May---suggestions wanted

RyanP

Hello all, first post here. I am planning a 2-night backpacking trip in Canyonlands during the month of May and as this is my first time there I need your help! Here are some details and criteria:

1. I am doing this trip with my brother. Both of us are in decent shape and have done a fair amount of hiking. However, we have limited desert backpacking experience (just a couple of times between us) and I'd like to restrict this to easy-to-follow routes. I'm assuming we'll probably be doing something in the Needles district.

2. We'll probably be doing a 2-night trip, with two fairly long days and one half-day.

3. I hate carrying tons of water. One appealing option would be to hike in to a base camp and just do day-hikes from there (so we can carry a bunch of water just the first day and then leave some at the base camp). If we do a 3-day loop, there needs to be reliable water that we'd feel comfortable drinking after filtering. I'm used to clear mountain spring water when hiking so I don't know how comfortable I'd be with the water if it has stuff floating around in it.

4. More than anything, we want to see spectacular natural scenery. A route that goes through some narrow canyons or with a little scrambling would be fun too. Dwellings/petroglyphs/etc. would be a plus as well, although this is lower priority than the natural scenery and having a "fun" route. Avoiding the crowds is always important, but I assume that won't be too much of an issue backpacking in Canyonlands (correct me if I'm wrong).

6. Loops are fun. We could also do a one-way route, since we will each be driving separately to Canyonlands. Either sounds more interesting than an out-and-back. The road to the trailhead needs to be easily accessible in my subaru outback, and if we do a one-way route, the second trailhead would need to be accessible with a standard sedan.

5. Our schedule is flexible and we could probably make almost any 3-day span in May work. I assume early May should have better weather than late May?

6. What are the main issues that I should be aware of for this specific region at this time of year? What should I be concerned with in regards to wildlife? Any lightning or other weather issues (flash floods?) that an out-of-stater might not be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any input!

The routes in the Needles are well marked and easy to follow. You will see a lot of people hiking there. Your not going to avoid the crowds unless you leave the established routes. You may want to check with the NPS website about reserving a permit: http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/backcountrypermits.htm
I don't think I've ever been there in May, but April can be hard to get a permit for certain campsites. Its a popular area Spring and Fall.
The earlier in May the better. End of May can get hot.

Water is in the main canyons east of Chesler Park, and in Salt Creek. There is no water in Chesler park or along the Peak a Boo route. The water is fine to drink, just use a filter. Its spring water.

You can do a loop trip, and start/end at different trailheads if you want to. I don't know if its necessary though. The Joint is a narrow canyon you can hike to and explore. This is near Chesler Park. The routes in and out of the canyons are fun, maybe what your looking for when you say scrambling. The Peak a boo route is a scenic, fun walk as well.

Salt Creek is where people go to see the petroglyphs. You can see one near the end of the Peak a boo route. I don't usually look for those things, so maybe others can offer better suggestions.

You can plan a trip, get there, and not be able to camp where you intended to. So definitely check out the permit info on the park website.
I think you have to poop in a bag now in some areas. And some areas of Salt Creek require a bear canister. I don't think that would affect you.

The routes in the Needles are well marked and easy to follow. You will see a lot of people hiking there. Your not going to avoid the crowds unless you leave the established routes. You may want to check with the NPS website about reserving a permit: http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/backcountrypermits.htm
I don't think I've ever been there in May, but April can be hard to get a permit for certain campsites. Its a popular area Spring and Fall.
The earlier in May the better. End of May can get hot.

Water is in the main canyons east of Chesler Park, and in Salt Creek. There is no water in Chesler park or along the Peak a Boo route. The water is fine to drink, just use a filter. Its spring water.

You can do a loop trip, and start/end at different trailheads if you want to. I don't know if its necessary though. The Joint is a narrow canyon you can hike to and explore. This is near Chesler Park. The routes in and out of the canyons are fun, maybe what your looking for when you say scrambling. The Peak a boo route is a scenic, fun walk as well.

Salt Creek is where people go to see the petroglyphs. You can see one near the end of the Peak a boo route. I don't usually look for those things, so maybe others can offer better suggestions.

You can plan a trip, get there, and not be able to camp where you intended to. So definitely check out the permit info on the park website.
I think you have to poop in a bag now in some areas. And some areas of Salt Creek require a bear canister. I don't think that would affect you.

Thanks! That gives me some options to look into. I am also willing to consider other areas, either in or out of Canyonlands, as long as they are roughly between SLC (where my bro. lives) and Denver (where I live).

If anyone else has any favorite routes that would meet these criteria, please chime in!