Chesler Park, Canyonlands

Nick

-
New Trail Guide up for Chesler Park in Canyonlands National Park. In-depth questions & comments can be posted in this thread.

View Chesler Park Trail Guide

[bimg=fleft|300|Chesler Park]http://backcountrypost.com/forum/data/attachments/7/7579-a4f637763349447d6f0dc10257aab4a0.jpg[/bimg]
Chesler Park is a classic hiking or backpacking trip located in The Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. It's relatively short, not terribly difficult, very scenic and provides a multitude of route options to choose from. The only downside to backpacking in Chesler Park is the lack of water sources, so if it's hot out, it might be better as a day hike or plan to fill up at one of more distant water sources in the area.

Read more...

I was thinking about a 2 day backpack trip or 2 long day hikes in this area. For the backpack I was hoping to get water
and not carry it. I have read that water is hard to access. In Days book he says there is water in the Druid Arch area and Elephant Canyon. Is this still good info. Where exactly is the potable water. I'm thinking a Steripen will not work. I have an old school Katadyn ceramic filter, heavy but lighter than water. I was hoping to camp nearest the Druid Arch as allowable(if there is water). I would do the Chesler loop on day 1 then the Druid and Big Spring area day2. I was hoping to the trip start from Squaw Flat campground. Advice appreciated, thanks

I haven't done Elephant Canyon or Druid Arch yet, but I was told by the NPS at the time, and have heard from others that there is pretty reliable pothole water in the upper canyon that would make your agenda quite doable. I think a few others here on BCP have been up there and could probably shed some light on that. I'm pretty sure that Elephant Canyon pothole is the nearest water source to Chesler Park. The only others I've heard of in the area are further east.

Depending on the time of year you do this will greatly affect your water in Elephant Canyon. I have been in this area twice. Once spring, and once fall. In the spring, water was very abundant. It was all over, not an issue at all. Fall, not so much.

I carried water into Chesler Park and had a dry camp, and although not ideal, it wasn't too bad. Camping in Chesler Park was awesome.

In regards to a Steripen, I doubt it would work. The potholes are usually dirty and while a filter will do just fine, the UV from the steripen will have a hard time. Not to mention the grit and taste you'll be dealing with. Steripens are awesome in the uinta's, in the desert, not so much.

Thanks guys. The trip will be in April so I should be good for water. Is the water a spring or stream? Will it be obvious?

anyone know about the EC2 and EC3 campsites?? I've read about CP1 and may try for that one but the other 2 would set me up for a better for the next day. Also they are closer to water. Nicks pictures of CP1 do make it look inviting.

I can't comment for EC2 or EC3, but here's a few more pics of CP1. Aside from the lack of water, it's hard to imagine a better place to spend a night.

Aside from being tucked away between a bunch rocks, you can walk a couple hundred feet behind camp and get this amazing view of Elephant Canyon and beyond. This sunset view is pretty much IN campsite CP1.
chesler-camp-cp1-1.jpg

And then back in camp..
chesler-camp-cp1-2.jpg

And if you walk just past the tent there, you get this view in the morning.
chesler-camp-cp1-3.jpg

Man do I need to go back to The Needles....

If you're planning to gather water in upper Elephant Canyon, you will absolutely want a filter. There is an at times large pool at the base of a dryfall in EC, but it is stagnant. It's also just far enough away from EC3 to be a hassle.

For a one night, two day trip I'd recommend just carrying your water. It gets trickier if you want a two night, three day outing. For camping in Elephant Canyon, I highly recommend EC3.

I was through EC in November and can provide more info if you want. Check my trip report or send me a PM if you have questions. I have GPS coordinates for some of the points you might want (like campsites).

If you're planning to gather water in upper Elephant Canyon, you will absolutely want a filter. There is an at times large pool at the base of a dryfall in EC, but it is stagnant. It's also just far enough away from EC3 to be a hassle.

I think the pool we used was right at the bottom of EC3. But, yeah, we zapped and boiled the heck out of it.

I think the pool we used was right at the bottom of EC3. But, yeah, we zapped and boiled the heck out of it.
Definitely wasn't a pool there in November. The only water in EC then was well up above the turn-off for Chesler Park. Good news is the rangers generally have an idea where water is... and they'll mark a map for you.

Look at all these people who have hiked Chesler! Why hasn't anyone else rated the trail but me?? :(

index.php
:)

Guys: well done trip reports and pictures. They were so good I guess I can scratch this area off my list:) Seems like I've been there with you. Aldaron, the ladders look really cool. The picture looking down at Tracy, gives one an uneasy feeling. Nicely captured. I hope your tendon has healed ashergrey. Tendons can become very painful if you continue to use them. Thanks for the GPS point but I have but a compass and map. Nick, if you want to go back, join me.

I guess I will see what the rangers say about water. All 3 of you were there in the fall so it should be dry. Yet Aldaron found water easily. I guess recent weather will determine feasibility. My filter is very good so no concerns there. Glad to hear the EC sites are nice. It's hard to turn down CP1 but these sites give me a better chance at seeing Druid in the early morning light plus closer to water. Thanks again, you are making my trip easier to plan.

Chestler park is amazing but the real gem of the needles is salt creek canyon. Plenty of spring water, ruins, and some amazing rock art. The "American Man" painting is something to see.