17-35 or 16-35?

Bill

Having a hard time making a choice between jumping the gun and picking up a used 17-35 F2.8 or holding out a few more months and getting a new 16-35 f2.8 L

Pros
much cheaper .. 600 to 1100 depending on condition
77mm filters

Cons
Not quite as sharp as the 16-35
no warranty

thoughts anyone?

good point, I wasnt able to find any on flickr...
I have shot a lot with the 17-40 f4 and it has a killer burst.
no offense to your 16-35 but my tokina 11-16 has some pretty killers bursts same with my sigma 10mm fish :)

two things were just brought to my attention.
1. The tokina 11-16 f2.8 works just fine on the 5d at 16mm
2. The 5d is so much better in low light conditions so you gain almost 2 stops when compared to the same lens on a crop sensor.

I was pretty skeptical of both but now that Ive looked around I'm convinced these are true.

Also the sigma 20mm f1.8 is a lens that I may pick up in the near future.

1- Are you really going to want to switch lenses out just for the 16mm, though?

I know I wouldn't, and that lens would end up as extra weight in my bag that I never use.

That's a decision you will have to make.

I went back and forth between the17-40 and 16-35 as well. It was hard to spend twice as much in the 16-35, but that's what I wanted (I wanted the 2.8, 16mm and sunbursts) and I learned a long time ago that if I don't buy what I really want the first time, I won't be happy and will end up buying what I originally wanted anyways, costing me more money in the long run.

That said, what you really want might be the 17-40.....it's definitely a good lens, too.

yeah.. it sucks.
But honestly, how often do you use the 2.8 and what do you use it for? I only use it for night shots and even then I thing I would rather have 1.8 wide prime so I can step it up a notch.

I have shot alot of BMX stuff with a 17-40 ... killer lens.

Laramie by Summit42, on Flickr

I wanted the 2.8 for night shots, too.....and you are right, I haven't used it as much as I thought I would so far.

Back