Zion

mak1277

I'm planning a long weekend in Vegas with my wife in mid-May, followed by a solo backpacking trip down to Zion (my first trip anywhere in UT).

My tentative plan is to rent a car in Vegas and drive to Zion on Sunday afternoon. I plan to do part of the Zion Traverse (from Lee Pass back down to the Grotto/main canyon), followed by a thru-hike/overnight in the Narrows (conditions permitting).

My Questions
1 - Is there a reasonably priced (and convenient) shuttle from Vegas to Zion, or am I right in just renting a car?
2 - I am planning to use Zion Adventures for a shuttle to Lee Pass TH on Monday morning...can anyone recommend either a cheap motel in Springdale or a campground (in or out of the park) for me to stay on Sunday night? I could do a rental car bivy but I'd really prefer not to.
3 - Any recommendations for specific backcountry campsites on the Traverse part of the trip? I was tentatively planning on staying near Kolob Arch on night 1, Wildcat Canyon Trail on night 2 and at the bottom of West Rim trail on night 3. Although it's possible that I lengthen one of the days up and just finish the Traverse portion of my trip in three days of hiking.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc. from Zion vets would be much appreciated. I am counting down the days!

You know you have to book specific campsites on the traverse, right? So I don't think there are any options near the bottom of the West Rim. You could camp up high on it near Cabin Spring (sites 1 & 2), but your next option would be to just head down to the Watchman Campground near the visitor center.

No cheap places in Springdale, especially not in May. The Watchman campground is good for a campground. You can reserve in advance, or they have the south campground for first come, first serve.

You know you have to book specific campsites on the traverse, right? So I don't think there are any options near the bottom of the West Rim. You could camp up high on it near Cabin Spring (sites 1 & 2), but your next option would be to just head down to the Watchman Campground near the visitor center.

No cheap places in Springdale, especially not in May. The Watchman campground is good for a campground. You can reserve in advance, or they have the south campground for first come, first serve.

Yes...when I said bottom, I meant south end and I *really* meant site 1 or 2 near Cabin Spring. I have my calendar marked for March 5 when I can book my backcountry sites online!

Can someone tell me if alcohol stoves are allowed in the Zion backcountry? My internet research has given me no specific help, and I haven't been able to reach a ranger station to talk to a live person.

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but if you leave a message on the backcountry desk voicemail they are great at calling back. Let us know what you find out.

I'm not sure, but if you leave a message on the backcountry desk voicemail they are great at calling back. Let us know what you find out.

Good to know...I left them a message last Friday so I'll just wait for a callback.

3 - Any recommendations for specific backcountry campsites on the Traverse part of the trip? I was tentatively planning on staying near Kolob Arch on night 1, Wildcat Canyon Trail on night 2 and at the bottom of West Rim trail on night 3. Although it's possible that I lengthen one of the days up and just finish the Traverse portion of my trip in three days of hiking.

I'm no Zion vet, but we just completed the traverse yesterday. We went from the East entrance to Lee's Pass. It made for some VERY LONG days because we didn't get the campsites we had hoped. That being said, it was one of our top 5 backpacking trips ever. It was fantastic. Every 5 miles the scenery changes. You've got some good plans, assuming you get all the permits you need. If you miss one permit, it can ruin the trip. I assume you're doing it in 4 days and 3 nights?

My recommendations are right in line with your plans.

Night 1 - La Verkin Campsite 7-13 (depending on how close you want to camp to beartrap falls)
Night 2 - at large in WIldcat Canyon (fantastic area)
Night 3 - camp 1 or 2 on west rim. These are on TOP of the rim though, so your last day will be 100% descending. You'd be ok with any camp on the west rim, but the only water up there right now is at the cabin spring, and it was barely trickling when we were there. YOu'll have to tank up at the spring below lava point.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc. from Zion vets would be much appreciated. I am counting down the days!

I've had better luck calling the Kolob visitor's center, they're less busy and it's easier to get a ranger on the phone there. Consider adding the following side-hikes:
- beartrap falls
- angel's landing

Campsite location is VERY important. We got there a day early to get a walk-in backpacking permit. Even though we were the first people there at 8 am at Kolob, by the time we got our permit, the zion desk had already booked 3 walk-in campsites before we got ours. So instead of walking 18 miles on the first day, it became a 23 mile day. Those extra 5 miles made a BIG difference.

Yeah, i've never had knee trouble from hiking before this trip, but my knee still hurts. I'm hoping it gets back in shape soon.

The worst part was all the cement on the west rim trail between angel's landing and Cabin Spring.

I'm no Zion vet, but we just completed the traverse yesterday. We went from the East entrance to Lee's Pass. It made for some VERY LONG days because we didn't get the campsites we had hoped. That being said, it was one of our top 5 backpacking trips ever. It was fantastic. Every 5 miles the scenery changes. You've got some good plans, assuming you get all the permits you need. If you miss one permit, it can ruin the trip. I assume you're doing it in 4 days and 3 nights?

My recommendations are right in line with your plans.

Night 1 - La Verkin Campsite 7-13 (depending on how close you want to camp to beartrap falls)
Night 2 - at large in WIldcat Canyon (fantastic area)
Night 3 - camp 1 or 2 on west rim. These are on TOP of the rim though, so your last day will be 100% descending. You'd be ok with any camp on the west rim, but the only water up there right now is at the cabin spring, and it was barely trickling when we were there. YOu'll have to tank up at the spring below lava point.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I have La Verkin site 7 and Campsite 2 on the West Rim reserved for nights 1 and 3, so I think I'm in good shape. The only question is that I need to get from Campsite 2 on the W. Rim down to Zion Adventures by 9:30am on Day 4 in order to catch my shuttle to the start of my Narrows thru-hike. It looks like it's ~5 miles all down hill, plus the time to ride the shuttle to the Park entrance. I am assuming that I can start around 6:00am and still make it with plenty of time to spare...please tell me if I'm crazy (normal hiking speed ~2.5 mph).

Note- I'm planning to do Angels Landing just as a day hike the day I get into town before I start the traverse, so I won't be missing out by passing it up as I hike down to the valley that morning.

I hike about the same speed, and I don't think you're going to make it back to Zion Adventures by 9:30 AM.