Your Secret Place

Years ago, One of my secret spots was Grand Gulch........... until word got out, now it's got a crowd.

In a recent thread slc_dan described Capitol Reef as his secret national park, it being a secret he wants to keep. Of course, a national park can’t be a secret in terms of being unknown and exclusive to one person, so I’ll guess he means that Capitol Reef is a place of particular fondness for him, a lesser-known, largely-undiscovered gem for which he has developed a particular fondness.

I wonder if others have a secret park, or a place that they feel this special affection for that you can share about, and tell us what it is about this secret place that you appreciate so much.

Capitol Reef is like 100 miles long, so plenty of secrets to be had there.

I'll just say that Capitol Reef probably wouldn't have gotten on my radar the way it has if I hadn't married into the family I did or joined and started following BCP. I've been down there so many times now with my wife's family reunions in Fruita every year since I started dating her 12 years ago, and now that my in-laws have recently moved down to the property in Torrey they've had for decades and begun to develop, that will now be our home away from home and base of operations for getting out to that whole section of the state. There certainly are some real gems of solitude down there in the park once you get away from the highway and I've only seen maybe a quarter of what the park boundaries have to offer. There are also some real nice spots on nearby Boulder Mountain and Thousand Lakes Mountain.

I have a few of my own. It's actually quite amazing how easy it is to find your own spot that no one or very few people have been too, even in crowded areas such as the Wasatch. All you usually have to do is leave the trail for a little while.

Very true. I even have a few favorite spots up around Timp Basin that are out of sight and sound of the main trails and see very little foot traffic to those spots, even on a busy Saturday morning and the views are every bit as breathtaking, if not more so, than what you can get from the main trails.

Great question...Don't really have one. But, I do like it when I am driving down a dirt road or hiking a dirt trail in the deserts of Utah, Arizona, or Nevada and wondering "what the hell is out here?" Then, after a short time or a few miles--it appears. A slot canyon, a desert spring, a rock art panel, a ruin...That "surprise" keeps me coming back to the desert:)

There was this spot IN the Black River in Arizona that was nirvana. During the following week it rained. When we returned....the spot was gone. But I will always remember that one day.

Austin Ascent Barret 2008.jpg

Absaroka Ramshorn to Dinwoody.jpg

Absaroka Crescent Top.jpg

Whether dayhiking or going deep into the Washakie Wilderness I almost never see another party in the world's first National Forest. With the fame of the Tetons and Winds nearby I share my secrets because most folks are just too scared to go into the deepest wilderness that is the largest sub-range of the Rockies.

These places look amazing! We should get a group together and go visit a few of them. Anyone in?