Your Secret Place

MVS

In a recent thread slc_dan described Capitol Reef as his secret national park, it being a secret he wants to keep. Of course, a national park can’t be a secret in terms of being unknown and exclusive to one person, so I’ll guess he means that Capitol Reef is a place of particular fondness for him, a lesser-known, largely-undiscovered gem for which he has developed a particular fondness.

I wonder if others have a secret park, or a place that they feel this special affection for that you can share about, and tell us what it is about this secret place that you appreciate so much.

I have a place I go to in Upper Fish Creek on Cedar Mesa when I want to be alone. But if I say where it is It won't be a secret anymore :)

The San Rafael Swell was my backyard growing up. Some of my most special moments happened while I was overlooking the landscape from the tops of hills and canyons in the area.

Interesting and I do understand the concept. We have a bunch of them actually.

This is not a National Park but I keep it secret and we have slept in and around this surreal place several times.

TentAft500.jpg

We have some very secret places in National Parks too and yes, some of these can be very secret though it is hard to believe. I don't even publish photos with horizon in them for the best spots. A few others definitely know of them too because we have found tracks but it seems they keep them just as secret as we do.

If I told my secret place (places) then they wouldn't be secret anymore......to find them out you have to go on trips with me ......

I have a few of my own. It's actually quite amazing how easy it is to find your own spot that no one or very few people have been too, even in crowded areas such as the Wasatch. All you usually have to do is leave the trail for a little while.

Like others, I have a number of secret places. Not necessarily spectacular, but isolated and also somehow homey and comfortable. It's great to revisit these places and just chill for a while.

Beaverhead and Gallatin National Forests in Montana have several for me. I'd say it's special because as I was growing up, my parents and grandparents would take us to those areas often and we would camp, hike, and picnic. They may not be the most jaw-dropping places in the world, but I still love them. Being so close to Yellowstone, it's amazing to me that those areas are not heavily visited.

My secret spots (most of which really aren't that secret in the grand scheme) are secret.

...Did that make any sense at all?