Yellowstone's Bighorn Pass, Shelf Lake, Sportsman Lake, and Electric Pass Loop.

Joey

walking somewhere
I find myself sitting here stuck in Salt Lake City for the weekend. I was hoping to find temporary work around town, but nothing was available. I thought about a quick backpack into the mountains, but I'm not sure I want to sleep in the rain. So I started drinking beer, and looking through old backpacking pictures. Here is a quick report of some pretty country up in the north west corner of Yellowstone National Park.

I did this solo trip back in July of 2013. It was a 4 day, 3 night backpacking loop. Here is the route:
shelf lake loop.png

Day 1. I started at the Indian Creek Campground, and headed up towards Bighorn Pass. What a beautiful area. Open meadows, surrounded by several peaks:
DSCN2727.JPG

DSCN2728.JPG

DSCN2739.JPG

DSCN2736.JPG

Soon I entered the Gallatin Bear Management Area. There are probably around 20 bear management areas in Yellowstone. These areas each have specific rules for use during the year. This is the only one that makes me nervous. Its also the only one they recommend traveling in a group of 4 or more.
DSCN2747.JPG

DSCN2748.JPG

DSCN2750.JPG

Looking up at the pass:
DSCN2756.JPG

The hike up to the pass is beautiful. There are good views from the top, but much of the area has been burned.
DSCN2762.JPG

Looking east where I had hiked up from:
DSCN2760.JPG

Looking west:
DSCN2764.JPG

The trail heading down to the Bighorn Meadows and Gallatin River:
DSCN2770.JPG

DSCN2774.JPG

The wildflowers were in full bloom as I made my way down.
DSCN2778.JPG DSCN2782.JPG
DSCN2785.JPG

Soon I reached the Bighorn Meadows, and set up camp at backcountry site WB6. It was roughly 14 miles for the day.
DSCN2791.JPG

DSCN2793.JPG DSCN2803.JPG

DSCN2796.JPG

One of the first things I noticed when I got to camp was that there was an easy tree to climb. I had a pretty good string of bear encounters going that year. My 2 previous trips included spending a night in an outhouse while a grizzly curiously circled around, and climbing a tree in the dark while a large grizzly huffed and puffed below. So I really wasn't shocked when another grizzly came running into camp behind me as I cooked dinner. I ran up the tree, and watched as the bear circled camp, trying to hide. I lost him in the woods, but could here him the rest of the night.

I would find out a few days later from some other backpackers that this same grizzly was running through everyone's camp that night in the Bighorn Meadows. 2 groups hiked back to the HWY 191 trailhead and slept there. Because I hiked down from the other direction, I didn't get any heads up about the bear.

Day 2. After not getting a great nights sleep, I wasn't looking forward to the 24 miles I had to hike to Shelf Lake. Here is a shot of camp in the morning:
DSCN2811.JPG

I headed 2.3 miles down the meadows to the cut off trail with the Fawn Pass Trail.
DSCN2815.JPG

DSCN2817.JPG

DSCN2818.JPG

I climbed up about 300 feet to reach the Fawn Pass Trail, and headed down the valley towards Fan Creek. Very beautiful open meadows here:
DSCN2822.JPG DSCN2825.JPG DSCN2827.JPG

DSCN2832.JPG
DSCN2833.JPG

DSCN2839.JPG

I decided to take a short cut. Instead of hiking up Fan Creek, I continued on to HWY 191, and hiked up 4 miles to Specimen Creek. I followed the north fork of Specimen Creek to Shelf Lake.
DSCN2844.JPG
DSCN2846.JPG

DSCN2847.JPG

DSCN2848.JPG

My total miles for the day was around 20 miles. I set up camp in the trees:
DSCN2851.JPG

Shelf Lake:
DSCN2857.JPG

Day 3. I headed off for Crescent Lake and High Lake.
DSCN2861.JPG DSCN2862.JPG DSCN2866.JPG

Crescent Lake:
DSCN2868.JPG

DSCN2875.JPG

DSCN2878.JPG

DSCN2884.JPG
DSCN2885.JPG
DSCN2894.JPG

Soon I was at High Lake:DSCN2896.JPG
DSCN2899.JPG DSCN2900.JPG DSCN2901.JPG

From High Lake, I still had another 8.5 miles to go to reach my camp at Sportsman Lake. And it was 5pm. I hustled back through the Gallatin Bear Management Area, passing through some of my favorite meadows.
DSCN2902.JPG DSCN2904.JPG DSCN2905.JPG DSCN2906.JPG DSCN2907.JPG DSCN2909.JPG

It was getting dark when I dropped down to Sportsman Lake. Here is the patrol cabin near the lake:
DSCN2915.JPG

I made camp at dusk:
DSCN2923.JPG

DSCN2921.JPG

Day 4. Sportsman Lake is one of my favorite campsites in the park. Here are some pictures from the morning:
DSCN2928.JPG

DSCN2930.JPG

You can see horses grazing. A horse party was camped at another camping spot on the lake:
DSCN2931.JPG

I headed up to Electric Pass.
DSCN2936.JPG DSCN2933.JPG DSCN2937.JPG DSCN2942.JPG

Looking out at Electric Peak:
DSCN2939.JPG

Heading down to the east:
DSCN2944.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

DSCN2949.JPG

DSCN2950.JPG

Looking back towards Electric Peak:
DSCN2958.JPG

DSCN2970.JPG

DSCN2977.JPG

DSCN2980.JPG

I reached the road, and hiked back to my car. The end.

Here is a video slide show:

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2831.JPG
    DSCN2831.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Man your employment woes are over. The Melodrama Theatre here has an awesome show this summer and after seeing the new you I know they'd cast you in the lead for it in a Montana minute.: "Teddy, get your gun...powder."

How are you man? Yeah, some beautiful but scary country. Just what I needed before waddlin' down to the Wort. Thanks man. Have an awesome Spring.

Man your employment woes are over. The Melodrama Theatre here has an awesome show this summer and after seeing the new you I know they'd cast you in the lead for it in a Montana minute.: "Teddy, get your gun...powder."

How are you man? Yeah, some beautiful but scary country. Just what I needed before waddlin' down to the Wort. Thanks man. Have an awesome Spring.
Ha, thanks John. I'll be up around town in 3 weeks. I'll let you know when I'm around, and meet you for some beer.

I forgot I had a video for this trip. Its a photo slide show, with a few video clips thrown in.

i'm thinking of going to that area for a minute this summer.
Hopefully you're still planning on spending a week in the Tetons come September.

I still have your books. I'm not sure if we'll cross paths before you take off for Alaska. I'll be out the next 3 weeks, and then heading up to Yellowstone. I'll have them with me as I travel.

Great TR about a great area. Thanks J. I walked the Bighorn Pass trail one year. Now I have to go use the Fawn Pass Trail to go climb Electric Peak. How were your stream crossings on the Fawn Pass Trail? Depth? Difficulty?

Great TR about a great area. Thanks J. I walked the Bighorn Pass trail one year. Now I have to go use the Fawn Pass Trail to go climb Electric Peak. How were your stream crossings on the Fawn Pass Trail? Depth? Difficulty?
I only hiked the Fawn Pass Trail down to the highway. I haven't been over the pass, or on the east side. There are some crossings of the Gardiner River on the east side that are usually impassible very early in the summer. They are more swift than deep. I know I've crossed that river higher up on the Sportsman Lake trail a few times, and don't remember it at all. I don't think there is anything to worry about by July. This year by mid June.

I love the pictures of the meadows, valleys and especially the views from the passes. The BMA signs would really scare me -- especially camping alone!

I am hoping to summit Electric Peak and visit Cache Lake in July so I'll hopefully see some similar cool stuff.

Quadrant mountain looks realistic to summit as well but I think it's off limits in the summer.

Thanks for sharing!