Yellowstone Trip

Hey guys, this summer near the beginning of July me and 2 others will be backpacking in the Heart Lake and Snake River area of Yellowstone. I am rather new to backpacking and would love to get some advice on these areas. Thanks.

Don't know that particular Yellowstone area. There may be other info already here if you search around. You absolutely should carry and know how to use pepper spray. Good Luck!

@Spencer Sutherland - What trail head are you entering the backcountry from - Heart Lake or the South Boundary? Are you planning on returning to the same trailhead or are you shuttling between the trail heads? Do you have your backcountry permit with your campsites chosen yet? Let me know your itinerary and I can make some suggestions.

East entrance road TH by Yell Lk around to the south and out Heart Lake TH is a easy but great 50 mile trip with hardly any elevation gain ........
Wildlife, scenery, fishing. The Camp at Park Point if you can get it is great.
I have info somewhere...

@scatman I will be entering from heart lake trail head to campsite 8H4 on the west shore. Then hike to campsite 8C4 on the snake river and stay 2 nights to fish. Then hike to 8J4 on the heart river. then head out the next morning to heart lake trailhead

You're not planning on summiting Sheridan? That would be a serious shame.

IMO fishing is better in the Teton Wilderness.

Reactions: Bob
@Spencer Sutherland - I have to agree with @Absarokanaut, you need to summit Sheridan while you're back in there. Campsite 8H4 is the closest site to the trail up Mount Sheridan. Maybe you can get an early start on your first day when you hike in and hike up the mountain after you set up camp. The views from the top are tremendous: the Tetons to the south, Lewis and Shoshone Lakes to the west, Delusion and Yellowstone Lakes to the northeast, and a bird's eye view of Heart Lake along with the route your taking on your trip.

I know there is a place along Witch Creek on your hike in where hot spring waters mix with the creek and you can soak. Ask the ranger when you pick up your official permit for the location.

Campsite 8C4 is a nice site right on the river. When I was there, a Kingfisher was on the opposite side in a tree looking for fish. Occasionally, he would dive into the river and catch one. He spent most of the evening and the next morning nearby.

I haven't stayed at campsite 8J4, we moved on to 8J3 (worst campsite in the park IMO), but staying there gives you an opportunity on your way out. Instead of taking the main trail along the east and north sides of Heart Lake, follow the west side of the Heart River from your campsite until you reach the outlet of the lake. Once at the outlet, follow the shoreline for 75 - 100 yards and you will be able to pick up a game trail that will take you all the way across the southern end of the lake and pop you out on near campsite 8H1, then just head north along the trail on the west side of the lake. It will take you down to some narrow rocky beaches along with a couple of open grassy areas while the rest of its length is unburned forest. I saw a Great Horned Owl and a snake along this stretch. The trail is easy to pick up and follow. From a scenery perspective, it is better than the official trail back around the lake which takes you through quite a bit of burn and doesn't have many lake views . Of course, you must be comfortable traveling off-trail.

game_trail_heart_lake_updated.jpg
You should be able to pick up the trail at the end of the red line

Heart_Lake_Southern_Trail.jpg
The entire southern shore route

5042609096_717fbe871e_b.jpgYou can tell the game trail is pretty obvious.

5042042375_e0225f341a_b.jpgGreat Horned Owl in tree

@scatman Thank you so much for the info! We will definitely take all into consideration. We will be driving out there from Northern Indiana, so any information always helps. We were also planning on spending a whole day in the tetons just to do some exploring. Any info on what to do their would be much appreciated.

@scatman Thank you so much for the info! We will definitely take all into consideration. We will be driving out there from Northern Indiana, so any information always helps. We were also planning on spending a whole day in the tetons just to do some exploring. Any info on what to do their would be much appreciated.

Sorry @Spencer Sutherland , I have not spent much time in Grand Teton other than a small day hike and canoe trip on Jackson Lake. You'll have to wait for @Absarokanaut , @Joey , @kcwins, @Bob or others to chime in with their expertise of the area.

"We were also planning on spending a whole day in the tetons just to do some exploring. Any info on what to do their would be much appreciated."

A whole day huh? Where should I start. If it were me I'd spend the entire time there ;)

Let me ask you a question....do you want to drive around and see the sight's or do a day hike? Will this be pre or post Jellystone?

It is pouring here in Rafter J right now.

KC and I have the same sentiment but that said you've got an awesome hike ahead, lets see if we can make your recovery day as good as it can be.

Seeing the sites means different things to all of us. Like Yellowstone and other adjacent public lands the greatest of Grand Teton is rarely on a roadside. The most popular hike in GTNP is Wyoming's most popular hiking trail, Jenny Lake up Cascade Canyon with the boat shuttle, after the 20 minute ride across the lake you can as far or near as you want but you're gettin' ready for a big hike, I'd blow off the boat and go from String Lake Trailhead do 5 roundtrip miles or whatever you want. Leave tourists behind and add a little side trip to the Ribbon Cascade. Maybe hike Leigh Lake instead, maybe go rock/cliff [20+'] diving after a short hike in from the preserve on Phelps Lake; there is an incredibly extensive bounty of spectacular greatness.

That said I don't believe Cascade is the most beautiful or spectacular Teton Canyon and would recommend a short hike almost anywhere. Maybe you want to hike Taggart and Bradley Lakes, even my fat posterior makes that a pretty easy 3 hours. Maybe you should get a canoe and spend a lazy day on Leigh Lake. If it's really hot maybe hike and mess with your reproductive prospects in the likely unaccompanied cold Waters of Laurel Lake, perhaps the smallest Lake you will ever go to, find exquisite hot springs outside GTNP boundaries....Just have a blast.

If you just want to drive into the park I'd simply suggest just getting out for at least a mile or two anywhere up and down the range from the Rockefeller Preserve to the Rockefeller Parkway, get ready, acclimate...or stay in Jackson, get incredibly drunk, ride the tram up top and get drunker, and then be dehydrated your whole hike.

Whatever you do thanks for your contributions to our economy and may it be among the best of hikes.

@Absarokanaut is right on as usual. Some good suggestions there, so I thought I would add something different.

OK, here is what I would do. Depending on where you will be the night before I would drive up 89 and stop for some world class photography opportunities at Schawbatchers Landing, the Mormon Barns then up to Oxbow Bend. I would then enter the park at Jackson Lake Junction and head south stopping along the way at the different pull-offs on Teton Park Road. You SHOULD have good wildlife viewing opportunities along the way. Stop at the Moose visitor Center. Have lunch at Dornans while your right there too.

Look in to a few of those places and let me know. I can make more suggestions. Side note: the best time for photography in as the butt crack of dawn.

Where are you staying the night before your in the Tetons ?

Last edited:
MAN!! You got it easy! I leave MI the Friday before Labor Day, drive straight through, arrive in Jackson Hole Saturday, spend the night at the motel 6 then start our trip the next morning. Been doing that for more years than I can remember. Anyway, sounds like you may have a little more time than I thought? Not sure. I'll get you more info after work today. In the meantime, look at some images of the locations I suggested.

I25 goes through Casper, not I80. I don't understand why you would not go to Rawlins or Rock Springs and then up?