Yellowstone or Teton Dayhikes

b.stark

Forever Wandering
So for my next adventure, I'm not going on any grand backpacking trip, but going to take more of a road trip this time with lots of dayhikes (and probably an overnighter or two). First destination is the Wind Rivers, then after that the plan is very up in the air. I do want to see the Tetons, as I haven't seen them since I've been old enough to remember, and it's been a long time since I've been to Yellowstone (was *maybe* a teenager last time I was there). I know more than enough to keep me occupied in the Winds, but not familiar enough to have solid plans for exploring the Tetons or Yellowstone. I'd prefer hikes less than 10 or 15 miles. Also not sure about camping within Yellowstone (I loathe crowded campgrounds) so if anybody has suggestions for more solitary camping options in or around Yellowstone, that would be most appreciated. Edit to add: If I get to Yellowstone, apart from the obvious geothermal features, I'd love any suggestions for good hikes for wildlife!

Leaving for this trip a week from today. I'll have 11 days to get the trip done, but not sure how long I'm going to be out there for sure just yet.

I hope you are going to the Glacier Trailhead out of Dubois for the Winds, much better dayhiking than anything on West side IMO. Whiskey Mt., Bomber Basin, Lake Louise for an "off" day. If you can do Arrow Mt. the archaeology up there is awesome. Then you could also do one of my favorite dayhike 11,000'+ summits in the Southern Absaroka too. CHECK FIRES FIRST.

My favorites in the Tetons:

Lake of the Crags.
Delta Lake
Surprise and Ampitheatre Lakes
Avalanche Canyon to Lake Taminah.
Tram up, Down Granite Canyon.
Death Canyon Patrol Cabin.
Full Hermitage Point at DUSK.
Overnight to top of Open Canyon camping zone and dayhike Coyote Lake.
Ski Lake
Taylor Mt. & Coal Creek Meadows

Yellowstone
Overnight Slough Creek w/McBride Lake
Avalanche Peak
Dunanda Falls; prefer overnight.

Bridger-Teton National Forest

Mt. Sublette; not to be confused with Sublette Peak
North Buffalo Fork.
Angle Mt.
Mt. Leidy.
Jackson Peak
If Granite Creek reopens by the time you get here [dates?] Swift Creek one of my favorites along with Granite Hi-Line.

Thanks for the ideas. with all the fires around the winds, I'm not sure how much I'll do there. wanted to do a couple overnight there instead of dayhikes. I know it's no big hike but I wanted to hike in and camp at the green River lakes, but if it's really smokey I might save that for another time. also considered doing an overnight out of big Sandy, maybe try for deep lake or the cirque if I'm feeling frisky. would like to do some hiking out of the glacier trailhead, but is that smoked out pretty good too?

Actually with all the smoke down south I'm thinking of swinging up to the bear tooth instead of the winds. all plans are up in the air though. just going to head for the mountains and enjoy some time out there.

I'll get to the mountains august 2 and will likely head home about august 9.

Are bear canisters required in yellowstone? guess I could Google that myself...

Are bear canisters required in yellowstone? guess I could Google that myself...

No they are not required.

An out-and-back hike along the Mary Mountain Trail through Hayden Valley is my suggestion for wildlife. It is about seven miles to the western edge of the valley, so you could turn around at any point along the route and return to the trailhead depending on how you feel. Be sure and get an early start and be bear aware.

On my way back home now so I thought I'd give a brief report. first I did an overnight to the green River lakes in the winds to acclimate and because I've been wanting to get back for years. first day was pretty clear, second day the wind picked up big time and cliff creek smoke came in about noon or 1pm. next I did an overnight in the tetons. was able to get a permit in South cascade so I hiked in to a site then dayhiked hurricane pass. coming down the next day a knee that can be problematic became a problem so I spent the next two days mostly car tripping around yellowstone. good show from the geyser in upper basin, a beautiful sunrise the next day at Norris basin, and watched a grizzly and two Cubs in the hayden valley. Overall an excellent time even though it wasn't a ton of backcountry. I'll admit to doing a good share of hotel camping...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
marquis20 Day 1: Grand Teton Wilderness and Black Canyon of the Yellowstone - June 2021 Backpacking 0
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
TractorDoc September 14th-21st Solo Hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Hiking & Camping 12
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
Dave Yellowstone and Teton, July 2015 Hiking & Camping 7
Jammer Yellowstone/Teton Touristy Trip Trip Planning 6
HomerJ Yellowstone and Grand Teton Park increase entrance fees - June 1st General Discussion 3
Nick Yellowstone & Grand Teton Boat Trip Trip Planning 10
Bob Yellowstone in Springtime 2024 General Discussion 3
M Yellowstone Mirror Plateau Trip Plan/Advice Trip Planning 6
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 4
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 11
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15