Yellowstone Backcountry Hiking/Camping

J. Jay

J. Boogie
Hi Everyone. New here. Few questions about Yellowstone.

Will be @ Yellowstone between Aug 5 and Aug 19th. Not sure the exact dates. I plan to hike to Slough Creek and camp for a night or two. I might also do the Buffalo Plateau hike and camp for a night. I will be hanging a hammock I will only be carrying protein bars, nuts and gummies. I'll have bearspray. I've never hiked and camped before - and i'm going on the trip alone. I understand that a reservation is required to sleep in designated camp grounds and that sleeping in areas that aren't designed for camping is not permitted.

1 - If it's absolutely necessary, is it safe to hang my hammock in the backcountry in areas not designated for camping if i need a few hours sleep before continuing or its the middle of the night?

2 - Is there parking at the trailhead for Slough and Buffalo? And if so, can I lock my food in the trunk for 2 days without a problem or people/animals messing with the car?

3 - Is there anything I should do to my talon 44 to keep wildlife away while im sleeping? The pack would need to be set outside of my hammock.

4 - Are the mosquitoes bad at the camp ground and by the creeks? I seem to attract them in droves.

5 - Is there anything else to keep in mind?

I encountered a massive black bear once, within a 10 foot radius at Yosemite at around 3AM while hiking to the half dome. It stood up tall and didn't move for about 60 seconds. I clapped and yelled and it finally left. I had been making noise so I assume that's why it left - but if i'm sleeping or trying to sleep, I assume this won't be the case should the wildlife smell my pack/food and approach.

I also encountered many coyotes at Yellowstone - one started approaching - possibly after my protein bar. It continued it's approach even after i stood my ground and made noise. Not sure what to do in that situation.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kjforrest88 Yellowstone Backcountry Hiking Trip Trip Planning 3
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
Rockskipper Yellowstone Backcountry Permits Available Online In 2022 General Discussion 72
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
Yvonne Yellowstone 2020 backcountry hike questions Trip Planning 21
SKLund Yellowstone Backcountry Campsite Waypoints Resource Discussions 1
T Backcountry Trip May Yellowstone 3/4 Days Trip Planning 2
Keith Waiting for Yellowstone backcountry permits General Discussion 3
Bob Yellowstone NP Backcountry Planner Resource Discussions 0
Joey Yellowstone now charging backcountry fee's General Discussion 8
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 2
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Wrangler Lake, Bog Creek, Joseph's Coat Springs, Broad Creek, Wapiti Lake, Hot Springs Basin, and Pelican Valley. The Second Half. Backpacking 15