With or without moonlight?

rundrumkc

I'm curious how many hikers/backpackers while planning a multi-day trip, plan your hike with the lunar cycle? Some may want a full moon so that with a clear sky their surroundings are completely lit up whereas others may choose no or very little moon so that they can see more stars. Thoughts , opinions?
Thanks!

I've gone back and forth a bit on this, but I'm to the point that I try to avoid gibbous and full moons when I plan my trips. I just like that starry sky so much. It's always nice to mix it up a bit, but when it comes to sitting out on the boat at night in Glen Canyon, a dark, starry sky is hard to beat.

Full moons = poor fishing from my experience. New moons give better astrophotography and better fishing.

Well, not living near any mountains means that a backpacking trip gets planned out way ahead of time. Where I work, we do our vacation picks in November and we're picking for the next year. I'm planning a week long hike in the Sawtooths in September of 2017 and I couldn't decide if I wanted the first week with a full moon or later in the month with less moonlight. I might go with mid September now because I also like the thought of more stars and less moonlight.

If you're waivering, I recommend going between the new moon and the first quarter. That way you get some nice moonlight early in the evening, but then it goes full on starry later on. And even with the that smaller slice of moon you can still see a lot more.

I don't plan around the lunar cycle but I prefer less light, I sleep better. I have a hard time sleeping during a full moon.