Winter Gloves

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I'm looking for a recommendation for good winter gloves. I've done most of my looking to this point on Amazon and there doesn't seem to be any consensus.

Wondering if those who do a lot of snow camping / snow shoeing / skiing could make some recommendations based on your experience.

Thanks

Your gloves will mimic your top layer. If you're working hard, like xc skiing or snowshoeing, you'll want something pretty thin and light that you won't overheat in. If you're just hanging out in the snow, you'll want as much insulation as you can get.

I have a few different pair of gloves, and i haven't tried the latest and greatest stuff out there, but I've tried a variety of different types of gloves. Oddly enough, I tried some Fox Antifreeze Gloves for mountainbiking in the cold, and I end up using these gloves 99% of the time I'm outside. They don't overhead when working aerobically, but they keep me warm enough when I'm not working. Plus they're relatively thin, so I can still actually use my hands.

Costco had some HEAD brand gloves a few years ago for $15. They were super toasty, and a bargain, but the fingers are quite thick and it makes things like preparing meals, setting up a tent, modifying your bindings, etc a bit more difficult. But for the price, they can't be beat.

My next pair of gloves will be some thin merino wool gloves for chilly season camping (March-May). They won't be enough for snow camping, but they'll be better than the little cotton target ones (which are fine as long as you don't get them wet).

Everyone's hands will be different. My wife has cold hands all the time, so she requires more insulation on her gloves than I do. Hope that helps.

I use Sealskinz hunting gloves when skiing or snowshoeing. They are waterproof, wind proof and breathable but still keep you warm if they do get wet. They are not to thick either so you can do most jobs without taking them off. I`ve used them in temparatures as low as minus 15 c with no problems. If it gets really cold, below minus 20 c i use a pair of Altimo mittens over them. Not cheap but well worth the money.

I use Sealskinz hunting gloves when skiing or snowshoeing. They are waterproof, wind proof and breathable but still keep you warm if they do get wet. They are not to thick either so you can do most jobs without taking them off. I`ve used them in temparatures as low as minus 15 c with no problems. If it gets really cold, below minus 20 c i use a pair of Altimo mittens over them. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Ian - in researching gloves I've come across the Sealskinz brand. I'm assuming you're referring to the UK Sealskinz and not the US Sealskinz. The UK brand seems to be high quality stuff.

Your gloves will mimic your top layer. If you're working hard, like xc skiing or snowshoeing, you'll want something pretty thin and light that you won't overheat in. If you're just hanging out in the snow, you'll want as much insulation as you can get.

I have a few different pair of gloves, and i haven't tried the latest and greatest stuff out there, but I've tried a variety of different types of gloves. Oddly enough, I tried some Fox Antifreeze Gloves for mountainbiking in the cold, and I end up using these gloves 99% of the time I'm outside. They don't overhead when working aerobically, but they keep me warm enough when I'm not working. Plus they're relatively thin, so I can still actually use my hands.

Costco had some HEAD brand gloves a few years ago for $15. They were super toasty, and a bargain, but the fingers are quite thick and it makes things like preparing meals, setting up a tent, modifying your bindings, etc a bit more difficult. But for the price, they can't be beat.

My next pair of gloves will be some thin merino wool gloves for chilly season camping (March-May). They won't be enough for snow camping, but they'll be better than the little cotton target ones (which are fine as long as you don't get them wet).

Everyone's hands will be different. My wife has cold hands all the time, so she requires more insulation on her gloves than I do. Hope that helps.

I've used those Head gloves before and I really like them. If there was a waterproof version of those I think I'd be happy. Whether it's playing in the snow or just shoveling the drive my gloves seem to get damp and fingers never get warm again.

I'm going to breath new life into this 10 year old thread...
Can anyone recommend truly waterproof gloves for backpacking? Like, it's 38 and raining and you're hiking into the wind up over a pass in the Uintas. What do you want on your hands? The Marmot Gore-Tex winter gloves I had didn't hold up. I'm willing to invest in quality to prevent hypothermia.
Thanks!

I'm going to breath new life into this 10 year old thread...
Can anyone recommend truly waterproof gloves for backpacking? Like, it's 38 and raining and you're hiking into the wind up over a pass in the Uintas. What do you want on your hands? The Marmot Gore-Tex winter gloves I had didn't hold up. I'm willing to invest in quality to prevent hypothermia.
Thanks!

I put my hands in my rain jacket pockets

I have Raynaud's so need to be extra careful. Did an overnight backpack last weekend in 28-34F with freezing fog, light sleet then wet snow on the return. Was OK using generic midweight fleece gloves with mitten flaps. Had to dry by the fire at night and use my backup lightweight fleece gloves. Carried REI rain mitts as well. I use poles, especially helpful in slushy snow with ice underneath. If I start feeling chilled hands go into rain jacket pockets like Bob said.

While not fashionable, Showa Best 282 Atlas TEMRES insulated gloves will keep your hands toasty warm and dry in the conditions described. The price is right too!
These are my absolute favorites... I even used them as my primary glove in Ecuador this year on Cayambe, Antisana, and Chimborazo - in fact, one of the local guides was such a big fan I gave him my pair and bought a new pair when I got back to the States. When others were pulling out their "big mountain" mitts during a near whiteout on Cayambe, my hands were perfectly fine. Very popular w/ ice climbers, too.

They do need to be sized up considerably. I have one pair of XXL that can accommodate a wool glove underneath and an XL that is snug to wear alone (my wife uses these sometimes even). I fit easily in a L from most brands in the U.S. For those w/ circulation issues, this would be even more important - if the fit is too snug, they can start to work against you. I'd say the bigger the better - even the XXLs aren't that big and the gloves are kind of strange looking at any size.

I'm a weirdo, so I use adhesive remover to (very easily) erase the industrial-looking text on the outside. :lol:

https://www.showagroup.com/us-en/shop/temres-282-02

Same idea for me. I go with these on rainy/snowy trips. Just can’t beat the performance of keeping my hands dry and warm. Not the best fashion statement out there though ha ha. Maybe I should try @TheMountainRabbit idea of removing the label on the outside!
IMG_8458.png

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by these. My hands get really cold, and mittens work much better for me than gloves. (I always use poles, so it's not an option to put hands in pockets.) Do these provide much warmth in addition to being waterproof? Or is a liner necessary when it's cold?

I'm intrigued by these. My hands get really cold, and mittens work much better for me than gloves. (I always use poles, so it's not an option to put hands in pockets.) Do these provide much warmth in addition to being waterproof? Or is a liner necessary when it's cold?
they are not very warm, they're just the eVent (mine are quite a few years old, might even predate eVent). but even so, at least for me they're fine for, say, 40 degrees and blowing rain