Wind River Car Camping

Nurrgle

Feet on the ground, head in the clouds
Hey there,

I am taking the kiddos out to Grandma's in the Ogden area next month for the summer. Lucky me I know.

I am also planning on buying one of these to make my trips just a little bit more chill when I am near my Xterra.

upload_2015-4-12_0-39-5.png

If all goes well, I'll pick up the teardrop in the next couple of weeks and I figured, why not take a nice long detour with my wife and dogs. We could test out the new camper thing and spend some much needed time away.

The plan right now is to head up through Star Valley into Jackson WY. Camp a night or two along the way, and spend a night or two in Jackson so I can wine and dine the misses.

After Jackson I was thinking of either on heading North and then out East on HWY26. I could also head South from Jackson down HWY189 towards Pinedale.

I would obviously like to use the teardrop trailer so I would like to find some good dispersed spots to spend a few days. I know many of you folks spend a lot of time in the Wind Rivers and I was hoping for a little advice. I will be heading back to Boulder CO, and both connect to I80 distance is not a consideration.

I would go to the green river lakes. There is a decent road and campground up there and its beautiful.

x2 on Green River Lakes. Epic scenery, epic stream fishing. I didn't car camp up there, but I seem to recall seeing lots of good spots along the road and river on the way up. A little google earth recon could confirm that.

On the south end, the Lewis Lake Road has lots of good spots. Same for the road coming into Big Sandy. But I'd still go for Green River Lakes, for sure.

Check out the road over Union Pass. There's a lot of great camping up there and you can start from the Dubois side and drive it over to Pinedale so you don't have to backtrack. And it'll drop you down into the Green River Lakes area if you want to check that out.

From Dubois the drop into the Green going over Union can sometimes get VERY rocky. Watch out for folks going way to fast everywhere but especially on the flats up top. I'd check with both ranger districts before trying to pull that trailer over. It was pretty rocky in 2012 but not that horrible a year later, things change. Hoping its been cleared recently enough for you.

I have not done a lot of car camping on the West slope of the Winds but since this is "Wind River" car camping I'll way in on the Northeast side of the iconic range and its neighboring range to the North. There are some great spots right down on the creek just past the outfitters below the Glacier Trailhead at Trail Lake just outside Dubois. Lots of great places to camp on the road along the three lakes. Union Pass has great sites in numerous places, this is but one with a good view.

Winds From Union Pass Dos.jpg

There's also some decent fishing off the Union Pass road. The flower display in the endless meadows up top can be exquisitely overwhelming.

Remember we get some serious precip in the next month and a half Union could be problematic WELL into July, like it was in 2011; but probably not at this juncture.

Absaroka From Union.jpg

I love the Winds but my favorite place on earth is the true headwaters area of the Wind River in the SW Absaroka Range. Here are some vehicle camping views for you:

Winds from Road Below Castle Rock.jpg

Double Cabin Peaks.jpg

Brook Lake From Bonneville Raod.jpg

Double Cabin Plateau.jpg

Double Cabin Wiggins.jpg

I could go on but I'll spare you. I love day hiking the southern Absaroka, but as you can see there's also some great car camping there.

I also really love car camping on the southern approaches of the Gros Ventre too. If I can point you in any of the Winds and Absaroka directions or stuff in the Gros Ventre let me know. Otherwise have an awesome time.

Oh man all the pics have gotten me stoked. I was looking at the Dubois area and Union Pass Road might be the ticket. Hopefully there won't be many people around in late May. Google Earth shows what looks like a ton of good dispersed car camping spots so hopefully I should be alright, plus I'll be there on Monday.

Thanks for the advice folks, I always get good advice from the people here. Hopefully I can return the favor.

Sweet teardrop @Nurrgle . Is this from a builder in Colorado?

Yes it is from a local maker here in Colorado. It is pretty bear bones but I just want a warm place I can get out of the snow and wind if need be. Best thing, the price $3000.00 HikerTrailer.com

Union Pass is really nice, but you might want to keep an eye on the snow that early in the year. It may be fine this year, but I'd keep an eye on it. We almost got stopped by a snow drift right at the top of the pass one year, and I think that was in late June. Have fun!

Aldaron is right. Union may not be open by Memorial Day but then again snow water equivalents have been dropping significantly. If we get snow and you can't do that go to some of the other areas I posted. I'd forget the Brooks Lake Pic that early but Double Cabin will likely be good to go, remember snow could be gone but mud could be substantial.

I figure if there is snow, I'll just look for somewhere that is snow free. It is a bit early for that area and it looks like that is about the only place in the lower 48 that got it's average so I expect some will be around. Hopefully worst case, I can find something. I could just buy this tear drop:

upload_2015-4-12_22-4-2.png

and be good to go anywhere.

I hope to hike the Dubois Badlands this weekend. Double Cabin should open up the third week of May or so, great timed to get in before the bugs and ATVers. Double Cabin is simply one of the most spectacularly beautiful places you'll ever drive into. Glacier Trailhead usually good earliest May but I could have camped there just about snow free a month ago.

Road 513 also has some incredible sites with amazing views into the Upper Dunoir. The Divide up the East Fork of the Wind should be good earlier too, some amazing Winds views up there, one of most spectacular roads in the District.

Happy to update you when we get closer.

@Nurrgle If you want the ultimate off-roading teardrop, can't go wrong with mirror lake TC from extreme teardrops.
bald-trail-1-large.jpg

Bit expensive, mind you.

Big tent is easier on the vehicles......... ;)