Album Wildlife

Hi everyone. I'm back in the lower 48 after a summer in Katmai National Park in Alaska. I'm sifting through pictures, trying to think what makes sense to share. TR? Photo album? We'll see how things work. In the meantime, I have a lot of pictures of a certain wildlife that make as much sense as anything to simply put on here.

Ursus arctos- The Brown Bear
View attachment 48646 View attachment 48647 View attachment 48648 View attachment 48649 View attachment 48650 View attachment 48651

WOW! Welcome back, Scott! I'm sure however you decide to post it, we will be very happy! Great stuff!

A few recent shots of something a "little" different. At first I thought this was going to be impossible, but it's actually just slightly harder than my bat photos.

29960527542_e56410ecf3_o.jpg

29841181202_b356625b27_o.jpg

29328808653_c09cd7b89e_o.jpg

29841172772_f0a818167f_o.jpg

A few recent shots of something a "little" different. At first I thought this was going to be impossible, but it's actually just slightly harder than my bat photos.

29960527542_e56410ecf3_o.jpg

29841181202_b356625b27_o.jpg

29328808653_c09cd7b89e_o.jpg

29841172772_f0a818167f_o.jpg
Odonata! I DO love it! Looks like this one is smiling :)

Oh man, that cub is cool!

Hehe that one in particular is a crowd favorite. This is bear 273 and her cub, who fans refer to as "Velcro". They were our camp bears, commonly pushing the bounds of where we wanted them. They also had a special pension for playing and napping in such a way as to grind the whole Brooks Camp operation to a halt. There are videos on Youtube of these two playing for hours by the bridge.

7.23 Bears-13.jpg7.23 Bears-11.jpg Sept BC-54.jpg Sept BC-58.jpg 9.16 Work Bears-72.jpg

Hehe that one in particular is a crowd favorite. This is bear 273 and her cub, who fans refer to as "Velcro". They were our camp bears, commonly pushing the bounds of where we wanted them. They also had a special pension for playing and napping in such a way as to grind the whole Brooks Camp operation to a halt. There are videos on Youtube of these two playing for hours by the bridge.

View attachment 48815View attachment 48819 View attachment 48817 View attachment 48818 View attachment 48816
To share the experience with Scott I became what I hope was a passive bear webcam viewer. You try not to infer human emotions on these wild creatures but when you see their behavoir daily it is really really hard. The Love 273 and Velcro displayed for each other was undeniable. (Surely it wasn't something as mundane and cold as a mom training her cub to survive.)

Last edited:
One of my favorite things to talk about as a ranger is how without the small processes we don't actively think of the bigger things we value in natural areas wouldn't exist.

Like how the ancient instinct of salmon returning to the waters that their ancestors were born in to spawn, dying in the process, fuels the entire Katmai ecosystem. Salmon are truly as amazing as bears.

7.10 Bears-1.jpg
Bristol Bay has the most prolific and healthy natural salmon run in North America. Maybe the world, I didn't claim that when I talked about salmon. We're talking millions of Sockeye Salmon, one of five species. It is estimated that 280,000 sockeye salmon entered the Brooks River system this year.
7.13 Bears-61.jpg 7.13 Bears-66.jpg 7.13 Bears-68.jpg 7.23 Bears-34.jpg
Salmon are born in fresh water, migrate to the ocean to grow for a couple years and return to the stream beds they were born in to spawn. They cannot adapt their bodies to handle fresh water after the salt water though, and thus survive off their own bodies throughout the spawn process, eventually dying when they can't take digest any more of themselves. Sockeye salmon turn red because they absorb their scales and you can see their flesh underneath.
8.3 Margot Cr-14.jpg 8.3 Margot Cr-30.jpg 8.3 Margot Cr-31.jpg
Salmon nutrients entering the ecosystem fuel the large growth of "coastal" brown bears compared to "grizzlies," are a major part of other predatory animals and are even found in trees near streams.
Margot 8.28-9.jpg Margot 8.28-10.jpg Margot 8.28-19.jpg

Some favorites from the past couple weeks in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Lesser Goldfinches drinking at Quitobaquito Spring
NPB-Quito-Senita-50.jpg

A Black Phobe. I've seen Say's before, but never a Black
NPB-Quito-Senita-55.jpg

Gila Woodpecker.
NPB-Quito-Senita-71.jpg

A Greater Roadrunner that amazingly didn't dart into oblivion before I got my camera out.
NPB-Quito-Senita-79.jpg

A Coyote that I believe is hopping the border to eat trash.
NPB-Quito-Senita-82.jpg

What was once a Red Tailed Hawk
Bull Pasture-Estes-47.jpg

And maybe the most amazing thing here: MEXICAN LEAF CUTTER ANTS!
12.9-36.jpg 12.9-33.jpg 12.9-30.jpg

One of my favorite things to talk about as a ranger is how without the small processes we don't actively think of the bigger things we value in natural areas wouldn't exist.

Like how the ancient instinct of salmon returning to the waters that their ancestors were born in to spawn, dying in the process, fuels the entire Katmai ecosystem. Salmon are truly as amazing as bears.

View attachment 49347
Bristol Bay has the most prolific and healthy natural salmon run in North America. Maybe the world, I didn't claim that when I talked about salmon. We're talking millions of Sockeye Salmon, one of five species. It is estimated that 280,000 sockeye salmon entered the Brooks River system this year.
View attachment 49348 View attachment 49349 View attachment 49350 View attachment 49351
Salmon are born in fresh water, migrate to the ocean to grow for a couple years and return to the stream beds they were born in to spawn. They cannot adapt their bodies to handle fresh water after the salt water though, and thus survive off their own bodies throughout the spawn process, eventually dying when they can't take digest any more of themselves. Sockeye salmon turn red because they absorb their scales and you can see their flesh underneath.
View attachment 49352 View attachment 49353 View attachment 49354
Salmon nutrients entering the ecosystem fuel the large growth of "coastal" brown bears compared to "grizzlies," are a major part of other predatory animals and are even found in trees near streams.
View attachment 49355 View attachment 49357 View attachment 49358
Well said! And well filmed! You should be an educator of the uninformed public. Wait, you are!

Are you teaching them about the stars and the value of a real and dark sky in this new gig?

Some favorites from the past couple weeks in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Lesser Goldfinches drinking at Quitobaquito Spring
View attachment 51108

A Black Phobe. I've seen Say's before, but never a Black
View attachment 51109

Gila Woodpecker.
View attachment 51110

A Greater Roadrunner that amazingly didn't dart into oblivion before I got my camera out.
View attachment 51111

A Coyote that I believe is hopping the border to eat trash.
View attachment 51112

What was once a Red Tailed Hawk
View attachment 51107

And maybe the most amazing thing here: MEXICAN LEAF CUTTER ANTS!
View attachment 51106 View attachment 51105 View attachment 51104
Great Scott, making me look forward to my trip to your latitude this holiday. No snakes yet?

Are the pass-through migraters still there? We are walking Madeira canyon next Monday if you want to join us. World class birding, I hear.

Great Scott, making me look forward to my trip to your latitude this holiday. No snakes yet?

Are the pass-through migraters still there? We are walking Madeira canyon next Monday if you want to join us. World class birding, I hear.

No snakes yet. Not much reptile life at all, couple quick lizards. It's not really the season right now.

Not as many migraters as I expected. I saw a large group of black colored birds today that I didn't know but aside from that it's mostly been resident species. A kestrel was a cool sight, saw it from above. Alas I was too slow with the camera.

Yep, night skying down here. I get to acquaint with my telescopes over the next couple evenings :)

IMG_5565.jpg IMG_5590.jpg
IMG_5556.jpg
Herds of elk at RMNP. I only have a 18-55 lens for my hand me down T1i rebel. Would have loved to have a bigger lens to get some close ups. Still it was amazing to see herds of elk.

Attachments

• IMG_5565.jpg
    IMG_5565.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: