Album Weather, Storms and Clouds

I000053YerCe5Xw4.jpg

I0000O_P3DQO8JyQ.jpg

I0000wQy_Ytszfnc.jpg

From our deck in Carbondale, Co

this is a shot I actually wanted to erase. I took it without any purpose a few weeks ago after I came home from an appointment.
The minute after I took the shot the storm broke loose and torrential rain dumped my neighborhood.
I don't know why I never looked at the image until today. At first I thought just erase it, it doesn't have a great foreground or anything great in it at all. But these clouds and the eerie mood, wow. I'm glad I decided to keep it

i-VS88Dh2-XL.jpg

we had some crazy storms yesterday. But I did not end up with the shot I wanted. First the lightning was too close for comfort and almost hit me and my tripod while I was out there. I really considered to leave it out in the field and ran back to my car without it. But then I decided against it.
After the storm moved on I tried to get my storm sunset shots, but the storm engulfed everything within minutes.

So here are a few shots I could take during a roughly 2 minute break in between

i-TwRrPv2-L.jpg

i-CmkQdrt-L.jpg

my originally goal was to get the tree and the storm clouds with a rainbow above it. It might have worked, but the clouds were too thick and the sunlight not strong enough

These are from a couple different thunderstorms earlier this summer. Both storms had so much lightning in a predictable direction that I was able to try to set up to get certain buildings in the foreground. The Nebraska State Capitol building is the tall building on the left. The tower in the second is the bell tower for a local church.
P8116021-HDR.jpg

P8166040.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
OldBill 2024 Summer and Fall Weather Outlook General Discussion 0
regehr unsettled weather in an image General Discussion 20
Wandering Bison Severe weather or alerts to your inReach, Zoleo, etc. Gear 4
The Trout Whisperer How’s th weather In y’all’s neck of th woods? General Discussion 26
Nick Historical Weather Data Trip Planning 8
Rockskipper Weather.com photo contest Photography 0
RyanP Wind River Range, early September---how to prepare for weather General Discussion 7
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
AKay09 Teton Crest Trail September Weather? Trip Planning 4
westy Wonderful weather along the Dirty Devil Hiking & Camping 0
F wind river september weather? Trip Planning 7
Bob Weather Sites General Discussion 0
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
mak1277 Sierra weather - mid-September Trip Planning 1
Jason Weather General Discussion 9
baltocharlie April weather General Discussion 15
Nurrgle Weather this weekend General Discussion 17
norwegianxplorer Winter storms, camping in Norway Trip Reports 0
Scott Chandler Storms in Brown Duck Basin Backpacking 11
Magic_Hour South Rim Storms at the Grand Canyon Hiking & Camping 0
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
S Two weeks in the White Clouds, Idaho, July 2018 Backpacking 6
Titans Darkening Clouds over Organ Pipe Cactus - Border US / Mexico Hiking & Camping 21
isleroyaleguy White Clouds maps? Trip Planning 4
muir_mountain Invite Sawtooths and White Clouds (September 2016) Meet Up (Members Only) 12
lostlandscapes Big Boulder Lakes, White Clouds -- July 3-5, 2015 Backpacking 12
Duke Need advice on getting details in fog/clouds Photography 14
IntrepidXJ Light, Clouds and Hiking Around Moab Hiking & Camping 2