Waterproofing

Nick

-
What do you guys use to waterproof rain jackets and ponchos after years of use have diminished their effectiveness? I think I'm about due to do it to my backpacking shell and golite poncho tarp.

the Nikwax TX Direct wash in (there is a spray version as well) works very well. They sell it in a two pack with the tech wash (this works really well also). If it is a Gortex shell, go to goretex website, as they have a lifetime guarantee

also, ponchos are simply a nylon type layer that is tape seamed. Dunno if they are designed to be washed. If it is leaking at the seams, some tenacious tape would work fairly well.

I just go buy a new one............

I've never had any luck with trying to water proof an old jacket. I think once the fabric breaks down from all the wear its done for. I've sprayed stuff and done the wash soak treatment and it does nothing to repair the fabric so the jacket just becomes a windbreaker.

Aw man.. I love my jacket so much. Maybe it still has some life in it. The poncho on the other hand seems to have become almost permeable. It's not on the seams, it's the whole thing when it gets soaked. Anyone else have that happen with a GoLite poncho?

never had any problems so far with any of my gear. Neither my rain jacket of 3 years nor the GoLite poncho tarp

I am not a big fan of the poncho tarp and if you're interested, @Nick , shoot me a message. I've used it only a few times and wasn't very impressed.

i've never had any luck waterproofing gear either, whether it be a spray or a wash-in treatment.

You probably already resolved the issue but I can't sleep tonight so I figure I would give my opinion...

I've had limited success with seam seal and gear tape on the inside of jackets to plug leaks. I've also used Nixwax to keep my gore tex stuff from washing out the outer fabric and not allowing the fabric to breath and build up moisture.
If the top fabric layer is coming apart from the other membrane layer and causing bubbles on the outside it's the death nail to the fabric and there is nothing you can do. Having the white membrane layer on the inside of the jacket start to flake or peal a lot is another sign that the jacket needs to go to live with Jesus.

As for the poncho, I suggest a spray on water repellent like scotch guard but the one in the shoe section of wal mart that has DWR in the description on the back of the can. It adds a durable water repellent to the outside that helps water slide off and not seep through. It's the same concept as Nixwax but may work better with the fabric (you may want to fact check this one). It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than Nixwax.

At least you can always use the poncho as a ground cover and save your tent a little wear and tear if doesn't work out.

I came across this while repairing an old tent. It should work for ponchos as well. It's probably a moot point for @Nick but I thought I would post it for reference sake. I have not tried it but it looks ok.

Tent Sure

I buy Arcteryx jackets, when they wear out I send them back and they send a new one back. Expensive jacket, but I have only had to pay for one jacket in the last 8 years.

For the jacket, it probably just needs a DWR reapplied (assuming it's probably a 3 layer fabric and the membrane is still good). Atsko Permanent Water Guard is my fav. Revivex is easier application but more pricey and not quite as effective. Wash first in a non-detergent wash (Sport Wash is great, also from Atsko...and use it whenever you wash anything with a DWR. Detergents just wash it off).

IIRC Golite used a 15d silnylon that had a light urethane coating. Urethane coatings wear out and it wasn't a heavy enough sil impregnation to stand on its own so it's probably toast.

For the jacket, it probably just needs a DWR reapplied (assuming it's probably a 3 layer fabric and the membrane is still good). Atsko Permanent Water Guard is my fav. Revivex is easier application but more pricey and not quite as effective. Wash first in a non-detergent wash (Sport Wash is great, also from Atsko...and use it whenever you wash anything with a DWR. Detergents just wash it off).

IIRC Golite used a 15d silnylon that had a light urethane coating. Urethane coatings wear out and it wasn't a heavy enough sil impregnation to stand on its own so it's probably toast.
The Tent Sure reapplies the urethane coating or whatever. So in theory it rebuilds the waterproof barrier. That's the theory anyway.

I tried spraying some stuff a few months ago. It did absolutely nothing and the water just went right through it. My strategy these days is to just let myself get wet, and make sure you have dry clothes to change into once in camp or before going to sleep.

Back