Album Vintage Outdoors Photos

Nick

-
Let's see everybody's old school outdoors photos. The older the better! I've got a ton of old slides from the 50's and 60's that belonged to my grandparents that I've been digitizing. Well actually, I digitized a small bag and then my dad finally gave me a giant box that he called 'the good ones', which I haven't even started yet. I need some motivation to do them, or maybe to just pay someone to. Anyway, here's some golden oldies...

My dad and grandma in 1962
PICT0018.jpg

Hole-in-the-Rock Road, May 1961
PICT0002.jpg

This one was in a set labeled 'Circle Cliffs' from around the same time. I'm a little perplexed as to where it might have actually been taken down there. Any guesses? Lots of basalt laying around. I'm thinking it might be the Burr Trail crossing Deer Creek or something like that.
PICT0006.jpg

Very, very, very cool Nick! I can't wait to see the "good ones."

Love it.
I agree with DrNed.
That would be the old entrance to Arches? I don't know when the new one was opened.
The Corvair is very cool.

That would be the old entrance to Arches? I don't know when the new one was opened.

In the other pics it looks like it's the current entrance road with the visitor center at the bottom of the hill.

Here's one from just down the road, 1962:
PICT0017.jpg

Pretty sure this is what is now Highway 12 dropping into the Escalante River Gorge. 1961
PICT0014.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

My Grandfather and Great Grandfather on the left just prior to WWII and my son and I on the right. Note how close we got the shadows.

window 1 ss LR.jpg

Attachments

• window 1 ss LR.jpg
    window 1 ss LR.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 37
  • window 1 ss LR.jpg
    window 1 ss LR.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 36
My Grandfather and Great Grandfather on the left just prior to WWII and my son and I on the right. Note how close we got the shadows.

Nice! I've thought a few times that it would be fun to go out and replicate a bunch of the photos from my family's archives like that. Maybe make a little website and/or coffee table book out of it.

Took me forever to find where this one was taken...and even then I just could not get the angle exact. It was quite frustrating for my son.....who was VERY sick of moving just a bit more to one side or the other.

archscape SS LR.jpg

Last edited:
That is really cool @Duke. I'm interested in whether you have more of these re-created shots. Would love to see more. Love yours too Nick. Unfortunately my parents were terrible photographers and anything older than that are still in projector reels.

I have a book the NPS puts out called Exploring the American West. On page 114 there are some photos from the King survey of 1869. The first photo shown is called "summits of the Uinta Mountains" and when I saw it I almost spit my coke zero out on the book. I know exactly where it is and I know that some of you would too. I looked online trying to find a copy of that pic but just can't find it. I could go in the other room, bring the printer out here with the scanner and hook it up, scan the shot, etc....but....you know...I'm washing my hair.

Here's a link to the book anyway.....because I can get that without getting off of the couch. Perhaps when the need for nachos forces me off the couch I'll see what I can do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0912627131/?tag=backcountrypo-20

A few scanned slides from my parents.

1946, my sister and I at Karst Camp, Gallatin Canyon south of Bozeman, MT. Car was the first new one bought by my father, a 1941 Nash 600 coupe. I still have the car.
16978071405_d1cdc19a15_b.jpg

Old Faithful, 1947
16978067335_4b87f64ba1_b.jpg

Same film roll as above
16952122666_8d96e7f930_b.jpg

1957. My sister and the guy that thought he was her boyfriend, Flathead Lake, MT. The Coleman stove was my grandfather's and it too is still here.
16952118126_1c5319af4b_b.jpg

Another 1957 trip, this one to North Meadow Creek, Madison County, MT. My mother and the 1947 Willys CJ 2A with the spanky new Grumman canoe. This was at the first bridge-start of the Jeep trail.
16358067653_aa265e1e34_b.jpg

More from the same North Meadow trip.
On Lower Twin Lake.
16357973823_8d93e31280_b.jpg

I'm the red hat kid.
16790607700_e6388baa44_b.jpg

Back at the trail head. The car was a 1951 Studebaker Champion that belonged to our friends. I'm in the same red hat, with my father lying below. A couple years later, the owner of that car (Dr Ray Woodriff) did a spring over on it, installed a truck 4 speed, and Powr-Lock rear differential. That was most successful in getting into some epic stucks. A Jeep it was not and eventually it was replaced by an early FJ40.
16358118643_7892ac46bf_b.jpg

I probably have a couple thousand slides from the Beartooth's starting about 1970, but haven't even started scanning any of those.