Utah Adventures Season 3

Nice work, Steve. Brings back great memories of walking Coyote Gulch. Your take on the Hamblin exit makes it look pretty easy. Did you have to handline or take off packs at all or just cruise right up it?

Great trip, but what an amazing amount of water!
We once dayhiked (end of April) from the Crack to just past Jacob Hamlin Arch and back and we only had to walk through maybe 2 inches of water at that very narrow part in the middle.

Your take on the Hamblin exit makes it look pretty easy. Did you have to handline or take off packs at all or just cruise right up it?

It was a piece of cake for us. My father in law, who had never climbed sandstone before, struggled to trust his feet, but he got the hang of it by the end. We didn't use handlines, and we kept our packs on the whole time. What I wasn't prepared for was the LONG hike back to the car once we were up the steep section. It wasn't bad, but for some reason I thought the car would be just over the ridge.

Always excited to watch your videos, Steve. Your Coyote Gulch video makes me wish I'd known about the lagoon when I was down there. I guess that's a good reason to make a return visit some time. About how old were the kids there with you all? I'd love to take my older kids down there, but I'm thinking they'll need a few more years of growth before they'll be able to fully do and appreciate the work it takes to get in and out of there. I was also impressed with the light painting shots you threw in there.

The Provo River video makes me want to get out and do that too. I've lived in Utah Valley for 15+ years now and floating the Provo and touring Timp Cave are still two things I've yet to get out and do. Your video also makes me question what's like for the fishermen out there to have the river fill up with tubes and rafts in the summer. I wonder if any frustrated by it at all or if most don't mind at all and if any one has accidentally hooked someone's tube or raft as they were floating by that got too close. Anyhow, great edits once again. Looking forward to the others to come.

Always excited to watch your videos, Steve. Your Coyote Gulch video makes me wish I'd known about the lagoon when I was down there. I guess that's a good reason to make a return visit some time. About how old were the kids there with you all? I'd love to take my older kids down there, but I'm thinking they'll need a few more years of growth before they'll be able to fully do and appreciate the work it takes to get in and out of there.

Coyote Gulch was my first backpack at 10 years old. I still remember it as magical, hooked me for life. It was by far and away the best scouting experience I ever had.

About how old were the kids there with you all? I'd love to take my older kids down there, but I'm thinking they'll need a few more years of growth before they'll be able to fully do and appreciate the work it takes to get in and out of there.

The boy was 10 and the girl was 11. They've done lots of backpacking trips before, so this was a piece of cake for them.

I was also impressed with the light painting shots you threw in there.

I can't take credit for that one, @Miss Buffalo took all those shots.

Your video also makes me question what's like for the fishermen out there to have the river fill up with tubes and rafts in the summer. I wonder if any frustrated by it at all or if most don't mind at all and if any one has accidentally hooked someone's tube or raft as they were floating by that got too close.

Good questions. I think it's just another example of balanced land use, where lots of different recreation types converge and want to use the resources in their way without getting in the way of others. 2 PM on the 4th of july weekend probably isn't the best time to go fishing on the provo river, especially if you want solitude. I'm sure they wished we weren't there, but we got along fine. It was cool to see them catching fish. Nobody seemed to be mad at anyone, we all got along well. Usually the fisherman are more mad at each other for stealing their spots on that river. I think we floated the provo 3 times this summer, and this was definitely the busiest time of the year. Hit me up if you ever want to go, it's a blast.

Coyote Gulch was my first backpack at 10 years old. I still remember it as magical, hooked me for life. It was by far and away the best scouting experience I ever had.

That's awesome! I'm jealous. The scouts I grew up with were pretty wimpy when it came to backpacking even though I was always keen to plan and take a trip. My first taste of real packing came when a high school buddy and I took off for a night up at Silver Lake in AF Canyon.

The boy was 10 and the girl was 11. They've done lots of backpacking trips before, so this was a piece of cake for them.

That's about what I assumed. My oldest is 8 now and my youngest currently 2. We were bold enough to lead them all up the one mile trail to Ruth Lake in the Uintas this last summer and even that proved to be a real struggle for them. Hopefully in another year or two, my oldest daughters will begin to see some growth spurts substantial enough to allow them to fit a true frame pack (junior sized) and become more fit to carry a bit more of their own gear (bag, pad, snacks, clothing). I'm sure they'd love what a place like Coyote has to offer.

Good questions. I think it's just another example of balanced land use, where lots of different recreation types converge and want to use the resources in their way without getting in the way of others. 2 PM on the 4th of july weekend probably isn't the best time to go fishing on the provo river, especially if you want solitude. I'm sure they wished we weren't there, but we got along fine. It was cool to see them catching fish. Nobody seemed to be mad at anyone, we all got along well. Usually the fisherman are more mad at each other for stealing their spots on that river. I think we floated the provo 3 times this summer, and this was definitely the busiest time of the year. Hit me up if you ever want to go, it's a blast.

Sounds good. My bro-in-law loves his fishing and has said much the same in that they can get pretty territorial among other fishermen for the good spots. I had just never considered if that attitude ever extended over into the rafters and tubers passing by, given the volume of those who raft and tube down that river in the summer months. Balanced use and compromise are the key. Hopefully all can remain respectful of each other lest we see a day where something like fishers on odd days and floaters on even days becomes a policy.

I hate it when people get away with all those park violations. Hopefully they were just ignorant. As usual, it was another good video. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah. I wouldn't have cared about the other people breaking the rules except that...

- we had gone all day without seeing anyone. We were expecting solitude in camp, then all of a sudden a group walks right through our campsite.
- getting that permit required Mike and Jessika taking an extra day off work and heading down a day early just to secure the permit so we got the camp site we needed
- we would have LOVED to have Fender along, but we respect the park rules
- even if they were ignorant, it's their job to know the rules before heading into the park. Usually it's the ignorant people who make illegal fires, chop down tress, leave TP and food around camp, and generally are the reason we have so many rules and restrictions in the first place

Rant over, it's really not a big deal, it was just a little frustrating at the time.

That's a good rant with points well said. I would have been frustrated too. When Jess and I did our Park City to Provo hike and camped up at Brighton Lakes our first night, there were dozens of high school kids along with some dogs up at Lake Mary all having a good time cliff jumping and swimming. It would have been tempting to join them had it not been for all the signs posted all over about protecting the watershed, keeping dogs on a leash, and no swimming. This kind of stuff probably happens all too often unfortunately. The key for people like us who respect the rules is to not let such ignorant and/or disrespectful people ruin a good trip.

Fern canyon looks way cool!!!

I laughed really hard at you camping somewhere between Battle Mtn and Winnemucca. That's probably the ugliest section across the state!

Fern canyon was awesome.

Yeah, matte mtn to Wendover sucks. We pulled in around midnight and set up the tents to sleep. We were put a there by 7 am the next day.

I broke down in Winnemucca on my way home from a week long road trip once. Took 5 days to get out of that hell hole. What happens in Winnemucca stays in Winnemucca... I think I might drive into another state to avoid going through there again. :disagree: