Uintas vs. Yellowstone

Which is better for the criteria listed below?

• uintas

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • yellowstone

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

mikelJ

I am a senior patrol leader of a scout troop from Michigan. We are planning to do a trip out to Utah in mid August for a high adventure. one of the activities we plan to do is camp in either the High Uintas or Yellowstone national park. one of the things we would like to do is star gazing during a meteor shower that happens in August. we also want to be away from the city and see land that is practically untouched while fishing and swimming and camping on or near a lakeshore. So the question is Yellowstone or the Uintas better for hiking, water activities, camping, stargazing and being away from the city .
p.s. we are from an urban area
which is better (not who has been there)

Last edited:
Welcome to BCP. I merged your poll thread and your question thread into one.

I guess it mostly depends on what you want to see. You can be in pristine land with dark skies and lakes in either place. You'll jump through more hoops like permits and reserved campsites in Yellowstone. But the Uintas don't have thermal features, waterfalls and wildlife like Yellowstone. Bottom line, Uintas would probably be logistically the easier option but it just depends on what kind of experience and scenery you want to have. Both will provide what you've listed as your criteria.

Both are excellent... pros and cons to each. In favor of the Uintas, you have less regulation and more isolation, along with no risk from grizzlies. In favor of Yellowstone, you have better access to facilities for water activities, more wildlife and, duh, it's Yellowstone. Both will give you a great "away from city" experience, but in Yellowstone you'll have to work harder in order to get it.

I tend to get a lot of cloudy evenings in the Uintas when I've been. If seeing stars is a major part of what you want to accomplish, I suggest somewhere on the Colorado Plateau in the desert. I did a great high adventure trip at Coyote Gulch once when I was a teenager, and we had perfectly clear nights almost every night.

Granted, you get pretty hot weather, though.

Uintas. If wildlife is your thing go to Yellowstone, but as far as scenery, the Uintas win hands down in my opinion. It's personal I guess but the appeal of Yellowstone to me is the solitude you can find in the backcountry and the wildlife, but I've yet to see any photos from yellowstone that make me want to spend any serious time there.

Yellowstone isn't actually super scenic, if you mean Yellowstone National Park itself. Now, if you mean the greater Yellowstone area, that's a totally different story. It's tough to beat the Tetons, the Wind Rivers, the Beartooths, some of the Abarokas, etc.

Yellowstone isn't actually super scenic, if you mean Yellowstone National Park itself. Now, if you mean the greater Yellowstone area, that's a totally different story. It's tough to beat the Tetons, the Wind Rivers, the Beartooths, some of the Abarokas, etc.

Yellowstone itself. Nice areas of course around the park, but the actual park pretty much just looks like a giant high elevation plateau. An acquired taste I guess. Granted I have only been there once a long time ago.

Typically you go to Yellowstone for the weird volcanic springs and for the wildlife. You go the Tetons or the Wind Rivers for the scenery.

FWIW, I think Joshua has just been unlucky with cloudy night skies in the Uintas. Afternoon t-storms are common but for me I've had far more starry nights there than cloudy ones. And the skies are very dark...

I think there are some very scenic places in both, but they're more accessible in the Uintas. The lakes in Yellowstone tend to be in the flatter regions, whereas in the Uintas, there are tons of lakes up high in mountain cirques with more dramatic scenery. I was raised going to Yellowstone pretty often for a Midwesterner, and I love it there, but I think that for your purposes, the Uintas would be better. You won't have crowds like Yellowstone in the Summer out in the Uintas either.

But like @JoshuaDyal said, the GYE has so many options to choose from, and there are plenty of places in it that would fit the bill.

I vote Uintahs for the criteria above. However, I would also suggest looking into the Wind Rivers too! (for the remainder of this post when I say 'either' I refer to Uintahs and Wind Rivers) Either place will still have people, but there is MUCH less regulation meaning that your itinerary can have more flexibility. Either will have alpine lakes, swimming, fishing, camping and your garden variety awesomeness! For fishing, there are many lakes in the Winds that have Golden trout with only a handful in the Uintahs (It's just another variety that's kinda fun to check off your list). Accessibility will be about the same depending on which trailhead you would choose.

Here are some Uintah's pics, I'll post some Wind Rivers when I find them :cautious:

Betsy Lake 2011.jpg Lake above Wall 2012.jpg Notch Pass Looking east 2012.jpg Wall Lake 2014.jpg

Long and short, with a little research you'll find exactly what you're looking for...backcountry!
Salud!

Been to a lot of areas in Yellowstone that are not 'plateau scenery' guess i'll leave it my secret.......... you can have the Uinta's.... they are nice as well, like all the other high mountain areas........

Oh, they're not secret; there are tons of great books on what to see in Yellowstone. One of these days, I'd love to summit Electric Peak, for instance.

But for my money, if I'm looking for scenery, Yellowstone is not at all my first choice. The Tetons or the Wind Rivers, or even the Shoal Creek Loop in the Gros Ventres just right next door in the GYE though; I'd go for them.

And it's important to keep in mind that if you aren't prepared for bear-proofing your trip, Yellowstone is also a poor choice. If you're not experienced or at least quite well educated on what to do if you come across a grizz, then the Uintas are certainly a lot safer choice.

Wind Rivers as promised. Random shots from Big Sandy to Cirque of the Towers. Let us know what you choose when the time comes.

DSC_1605.jpg DSC_1615.jpg DSC_1619.jpg DSC_1669.jpg DSC_1684.jpg DSC_1694 - Version 2.jpg DSC_1741 - Version 2.jpg