Uintas recommendations needed

Yes! Do the Cirque, but if you have 4 days, spend the first half exploring up into The Temple and then head up into the Cirque. TRUST ME.
I can't agree more with @Nick's suggestion here!

FYI - I'll be in this area Aug 21-25!!!!! :D

Man, I'd love to tag along...I haven't made it all the way to either of those lakes. Unfortunately, I'll be in Banff that weekend. :(
LOL! I'd go to Banff over the Unitas any day! Well worth it! Are you hitting the other parks (Jasper, Kooteny, Yoho)? Well worth it! I'd like them better because you had 1/4 the people of Banff!

I can't agree more with @Nick's suggestion here!

FYI - I'll be in this area Aug 21-25!!!!! :D

thanks both of you. I'm so excited now for the Winds, one of my long time bucket list trips.
But I still do a short 2 -night trip into the Uintas before our Winds trip. Because it doesn't make sense to drive all the way back down to St. George for 3 days and back to SLC again.

@HomerJ , during your Winds visit I have to sit again in a classroom at my University. I can't believe it, my summer is almost over :eek:

Quick question @Nick. If we base camp at Clear Lake are there decent trees for hanging food there or would you recommend a bear canister?
I'll jump in and answer. Yes, there's tons of trees along the lake to hang from. We camped at an awesome site along Deep Creek about 200 yards above Clear Lake!! There's lots of camp sites along the east side (where the trail runs). I wouldn't try and camp on the west side, too rocky/steep for the most part.

Plenty of trees. And I should chat with you guys in a private message for some more pertinent details. ;)
I don't think they're interested in the naked bathing girls at deep lake..... LOL!

I'll jump in and answer. Yes, there's tons of trees along the lake to hang from. We camped at an awesome site along Deep Creek about 200 yards above Clear Lake!! There's lots of camp sites along the east side (where the trail runs). I wouldn't try and camp on the west side, too rocky/steep for the most part.

Nice! Thanks @Homer J. It's too bad our trips can't collide for an epic BCP meet up.

Haha! Good point. Where do the naked dudes hang out. Just kidding. But seriously? ;) Naked people always make for an interesting story to tell. Lol!
I'm pretty sure they all hang out on the kahlal trail in Hawaii. Seriosly we were filtering water after hiking the whole thing in one day when a naked dude came out of the woods. He went upstream I repeat upstream about 20 feet from where we were filtering drinking water and started washing his junk. Needless to say we let the stream flush itself for a bit before continuing to pump. There were lots o nudists to be had on the beach too ;)

okay, I just came back from Europe and will stay here in the area before heading out with @pixie1339 for a Winds trip on Thursday.
I'm leaving tomorrow for an Uinatas trip but am still not sure what to do.
My plan was to hike either to Priord or Allsop Lake. I have 2 nights for my trip. Should I spend both nights at just one lake or spend one night at each lake.
If just one lake, which one would you prefer?
I really want to explore the Priord Lake area, it looks so nice and inviting to me. Set up base camp somewhere and explore a bit further nearby.
Good idea?
Any other ideas?

Because I'm still so new to the Uintas I will stick to the official trail until I set up camp and then explore a bit nearby.

For two days, I'd go Priord. It's a bit wider basin with more room for exploring.

x2

Norice has better, more sheltered campsites. Priord is more dramatic and beautiful. If you want to be comfortable and safe, camp in the trees by Norice and spend the day up at Priord. The trail isn't nearly as defined up there though. Be ready for and comfortable with traveling without one.

thanks @ashergrey and @Nick

that is exactly what I thought and after reading all the trail reports and the trail guide again I was literally ready for Priord. Can't wait and it shows how much I fall in love with the Uinatas. Never leave out a chance to get there :)
I will report in a few days where I finally camped.

Okay, I finally ended up at Priord Lake and absolutely LOVED it!! This was so far my best Uintas trip I've done.
2 days just me, no one else.
But I never backpack again immediately after an transatlantic trip. A bit before I reached Norice jet lag kicked in and it was really bad.
I originally wanted to camp at Norice, but the entire lake area and meadow was occupied by two dozens of cattle, maybe more.
And they shit everywhere!! :mad:
No way that I wanted to share my Uintas time with stupid cattle. So I hiked the last mile up to Priord Lake and had a wonderful wonderful time.
I explored the passes a bit and enjoyed the view into Amethyst Basin from above.
Unfortunately I couldn't figure out a route toward Lightning Lake. I'm pretty sure there is a route, it looked obvious to me. But the talus was so steep and the big boulders looked not very inviting to me.
Maybe someone else has done this before and can give me some hints for a future trip.

i-7TPppJC-L.jpg

i-7K3F32g-L.jpg

I hope I can post a report when I'm back home soon.
Unfortunately I'm way behind with my trip reports...