uintas, kings peak from swift creek th

Ben

Early september my brother and i did Kings Peak. Not knowing to do any thing else, we went from the south, at the swift creek trail head. We went out the Swift Creek trail, which crosses Bluebell Pass and reconnects with the Yellowstone Creek trail. From that junction we continued up to the Highline trail, and followed it to Anderson Pass and Kings Peak, and then came all the way back along the Yellowstone Creek trail. Like the opposite of a lolly loop, with the stick coming off from the far end of the hike. A loop with a day hike. I think it ended up being like 40 miles in about 50 hours.014.JPG

The Swift Creek trail ascends pretty quickly about 1000' before very slowly losing just a little elevation to run along Swift Creek.
035.JPG

There was quite a lot of beaver sign along Swift Creek. Made the trail hard to follow in one place.
040.JPG
047.JPG
051.JPG

And i saw a greater variety of fungi on this hike than i think i have any where until i did the hike at Rainier. They were big too, as long as my foot. 057.JPG
077.JPG

This one was the size of a giant loaf of bread.
083.JPG

Tenuous Swift Creek crossing, we both managed to not get wet. 090.JPG

More mushrooms on the other side. 112.JPG

Pond full of lily pads. Near here the trail forks, one goes on to Timothy Lakes Basin, the other to Bluebell Pass. There were a few people on the trail up to this point, but after we turned toward the pass, i don't remember seeing any one till we got to the Highline the next day.
118.JPG

134.JPG

It rained very suddenly and some what seriously at this lake. We set up a tent as fast as i believe i ever have, and waited it out for may be half an hour. After that it let up a little, we packed back up and kept hiking with out issue.
Optimized-144.JPG

I like this one best.
153.JPG

More big ones.
160.JPG
163.JPG

The view as we ascended Bluebell Pass. I think we counted at one point we could see seven lakes or ponds from the trail there. The trail passed right by the small ones closest in the foreground.186.JPG

At the top of the pass. 199.JPG

Looking onward. 204.JPG

Crazy Dr Seuss trees. 209.JPG

At the bottom of the pass. The trail between Timothy Lakes and the Highline here appears to see a lot less use than some areas of the Uintas. There were places where the trail dissipated until we were just following cairns. 244.JPG

Like through this meadow. That took a bit of work.
245.JPG

Spencer sitting as we search for trail. 248.JPG

Shortly beyond here we made a trail side camp for the night.253.JPG

The next morning we met up with the Yellowstone Creek trail and headed up it toward the Highline. Along the way we crossed this much smaller creek flowing to Yellowstone.
263.JPG

Some miles later we made it above Yellowstone Creek's tree line. Kings Peak is on the left, South Kings Peak appearing higher near center.
295.JPG

Both peaks again. In the high country now. You can see one of the cairns. Anderson Pass low on the left.309.JPG

Here is the big cairn along the Highline. 316.JPG
319.JPG

Ascending to the pass. 335.JPG
339.JPG

Looking out over the basin from near the pass, Yellowstone Creek in all those trees, Garfield Basin is the lakes beyond. 342.JPG

At Anderson Pass, just beyond the group of twenty some people sitting there. The ridge up to the Peak. 344.JPG

Looking over the pass.347.JPG

A view from the top. Nice place.348.JPG

We got some one to take our picture back down at the pass again before we dropped back to the basin.420.JPG

Looking back again. 427.JPG
435.JPG

We returned to the Highline-Yellowstone Creek junction where we'd stashed our packs.
Optimized-451.JPG

Sun going down the other direction the other direction. We were at the top about mid after noon. We went back down the Yellowstone Creek trail as far as we could that evening before camping again for the night.462.JPG

The next day was foggy, good that it was on the way out. Also good that we did our loop the way we did. Yellowstone Creek was much less scenic than Swift. 479.JPG

486.JPG

Here's the moose we came up on. It ran away.
495.JPG

And we made it back. Great time.507.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Geez, 48 miles in 50 hours! You guys are hiking beasts. Nice job. That beaver dam is pretty impressive too.

who knows. may be it was closer to 40 if i think about it more. quick trip though.

it's always cool to see a different route...nice trip report!

Dude. I can't believe you packed that all in so quick. I did similar loop but without King's once. We went up Swift Creek and camped up there one night, then over Bluebell and spent a night at Milk Lake, then another night half way down that godawful Yellowstone Creek trail. Okay, it's not that bad, but probably the most boring and loooooooong stretch of trails I've ever done in the Uintas. Swift Creek on the other hand was awesome. Really tough hike overall, adding in King's that way and doing it in 50 hours makes you mui macho in my book.

Anyway, cool TR. I dig the Dr. Suess trees. :)

thanks @Nick . i read your report some time in the last couple months or so, and was glad that some one else had the same opinion as me about Yellowstone Creek. it was very uninteresting after coming up Swift Creek. i'd do Swift again.