Uintas Highline Trail 2012

Nick

-
I'm seriously thinking about doing the entire Uinta Highline Trail this summer. The full 85 mile version from Leidy Peak all the way to the Mirror Lake Highway. I had originally put it on the calendar but reconsidered because of the needed time off and my desire to spend more time in The Winds. But the more I think about it the more I think I have to do it. I'm thinking it will be a solo trip as it would be pretty tough to round up anyone to do such a long, brutal trip. And even if some people were interested, I would want to make 100% sure they were physically ready and really easy to get along with since I'd be stuck with 'em for a week. ;)

Has anyone here done it? Any advice on planning it? I've laid out my tentative plan. I would allow myself 9 days to get it done but shoot to do it in 7 or less. The extra two days would give me time to wait out storms or be slower than expected. I figure if I were solo, I would actually end up doing it faster than expected though as I would have more of a tendency to just keep hiking.

Also, what do you guys think about timing it? I was originally thinking the first or second week of August but since the snow is so low this year, I figure I could even do it in July this year.

What would be the best moon phase? I guess a bit of moonlight might make me feel a little better at night since I could see around. But a new moon in the mid-summer Uintas can be quite the sight with the milky way.

I've thought about doing that hike for a few years. I was thinking of trying it next year. The only things I can think of that might slow you down, besides thunder storms, is all the passes you have to climb over. I know Anderson pass is big and seems to take forever to get to the top.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the entire Uinta Highline Trail this summer. The full 85 mile version from Leidy Peak all the way to the Mirror Lake Highway. .
Dude that sounds super appealing! Of course only if we coould get along. :D

Dude that sounds super appealing! Of course only if we coould get along. :D

Haha. I might have to start throwing rocks at you by the time we got to Anderson Pass. :lol:

But seriously, I am very open to opening this to all BCP members if anyone is interested and can score a week off. Just want to make sure it's people I've done trips with before that are ready for such a trip. How bad would it suck to have to bail down a side canyon half way through...

I might see if I can swing that. I was looking to do it next year, but no time like the present, right! passes are never fun and it would super suck to have to evac someone. Oh yeah I'll promise not to talk about Yellowstone. :lol:

Your right Donnie there is no time like the present, but I thought you wanted to do Red Castle this year?

Your right Donnie there is no time like the present, but I thought you wanted to do Red Castle this year?
Well well well. You FINALLY decided to sign up! Yes, we are doing Red Castle this year. Doing the highline trail sounds super appealing and I was going to ask you about doing it sucky sucky..

I do want to do the Highline bad there sucky. Do you want to do that instead of Red Castle? or In addition too? Also we should do a couple short weekenders to warm up the legs.

I do want to do the Highline bad there sucky. Do you want to do that instead of Red Castle? or In addition too? Also we should do a couple short weekenders to warm up the legs.

Hehe. If the Highline is the goal the short weekenders should be 30+ miles with massive elevation change and there should be a bunch of 'em. I dig Red Castle. The route coming in from Bald Mountain is pretty strenuous but incredibly scenic and far less travelled.

I was just reading about the Bald Mountain route. I do like the idea of "far less traveled"

Fellas,

I hiked the full length of the Highline Trail solo in July of 2010 over the course of 7 days. Leidy Peak to Mirror Lake Highway (150). I also bagged several 13,000' peaks along the way. I get emails from people all the time who are planning to do it. I know of at least 2 groups who are heading out from the east end this summer (2012) in August. One group coming from Ohio who are highly skilled rock climbers are looking for someone to meet up with to organize logistics. See my exhaustive trip report at the following link:
http://jacobcase.com/highline_trail_intro.php

It was one of the toughest, yet rewarding experiences of my life.

Nick, if you're looking for someone to go with, those fellas from Ohio are tough enough to hang with you. Hit me up if you're interested.

Jacob Case
jacobcase@jacobcase.com

Fellas,

I hiked the full length of the Highline Trail solo in July of 2010 over the course of 7 days. Leidy Peak to Mirror Lake Highway (150). I also bagged several 13,000' peaks along the way. I get emails from people all the time who are planning to do it. I know of at least 2 groups who are heading out from the east end this summer (2012) in August. One group coming from Ohio who are highly skilled rock climbers are looking for someone to meet up with to organize logistics. See my exhaustive trip report at the following link:
http://jacobcase.com/highline_trail_intro.php

It was one of the toughest, yet rewarding experiences of my life.

Nick, if you're looking for someone to go with, those fellas from Ohio are tough enough to hang with you. Hit me up if you're interested.

Jacob Case
jacobcase@jacobcase.com

Welcome to backcountrypost, Jacob! I've read through some of your report, still have a ways to go. I'm amazed that you pulled it off with so much stuff! That would be a seriously intense experience with that kind of weight. I'll have to hit you up with some questions after I get done reading through. The more I think about it, the more I want to do it solo as well.

I have been thinking of giving this ago in Aug also as a solo venture as I know no one that interested in it. I read his blog and seems to have some good info on what to do and not by his trip.

I have always wanted to do it all in one trip as well. I have done most of it in pieces - the only section I have not done is the stretch from Kidney Lakes to Painter Basin.

Some thoughts on doing the Highline, tell me what you all think.

No fishing gear, especially if I end up solo. While I'd love to fish some of those remote lakes, chances are I'd just blaze right through, especially if I can push and shave a day or two off the usual time.

Seriously debating whether to bring my SLR or just a point and shoot camera. And if I bring my SLR, do I then also bring a second lens and my backpacking tripod? I'd probably be kicking myself all the way through if I didn't have my SLR but it could make things significantly easier to just have a simple point and shoot. And it's not like my P&S sucks, everything from this TR was taken with it.

3lb tarp style tent (MSR Missing Link) or 3lb free standing Big Agnes Copper Spur tent? The MSR is way better for sitting out storms with the awning but requires much more ideal terrain to setup, especially if I only have 2 trekking poles available. A third or a small tree behind is needed.

No booze... :(

I'd really like to do this with an extremely light pack. 30lbs or so. What else...