Uintas Conditions 2015

The ironic thing is we almost got as much hail/snow as rain, but yes we did! Don't want to give away too much
before submitting TR, but we had what I consider my scariest mountain experience on Kings Wednesday afternoon.

Doctor . We are on tinterhooks for the story! :) What happened on Kings? Apologies if I missed your TR....

Last edited:
Any one know if the mosquitoes have died down some? Thinking about taking the fam on an overnight-er tomorrow.

Any one know if the mosquitoes have died down some? Thinking about taking the fam on an overnight-er tomorrow.

I went up to duck lake and stayed the weekend up there, the Mosquitos weren't bad at all. I was able to sleep in my hammock all three nights without my bug net.

I got bit a few times at Amethyst Basin, but I wasn't too diligent with the bug spray. They were not bad at all.

Hi Everyone - has anyone fished Ostler or Amethyst Lakes recently? Would love to hear how it went, size of fish, what they were taking, etc. Feel free to PM me if preferred.

Has anyone been to West Fork Blacks Fork recently? I'm wondering about the condition of the road up to the river ford. Is it passable to cars? I've heard conditions vary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Even when the water is low, there is a short steep incline after the ford (at least last year, haven't been this year) that requires a bit of clearance. I saw a truck scrap its side rail on it pretty hard going up it. I imagine a car with Subaru type clearance could be fine but you may scrap with just a typical passenger car.

lol yup you clearly said that. I am sure someone can give you up to date info, but I did see cars parked before the ford last year in the last week of July for what it is worth. I think a Jetta and Carola, the road had a lot of washboards but I don't remember anything too gnarly. Just slow moving.

I have no up to date info, but it's hard to imagine that road ever getting very bad. I wouldn't hesitate to take an LC 2WD vehicle up there.
Awesome, thanks Nick! There are a couple sites I've visited that make it sound like you might need clearance, but I always like to get opinions from people I trust.

I think @Nick is right. I've only been there once and I think it's passable with a passenger car until the ford. You may have to go slow and take good angles to avoid some rocks here and there but hopefully you'll be fine. I vaguely remember the road getting a little rougher (pot holes, etc. ) after the ford. I was in an Outback fyi.

I think @Nick is right. I've only been there once and I think it's passable with a passenger car until the ford. You may have to go slow and take good angles to avoid some rocks here and there but hopefully you'll be fine. I vaguely remember the road getting a little rougher (pot holes, etc. ) after the ford. I was in an Outback fyi.
Thanks @Mike K! I'm okay with dodging some obstacles, just don't want to destroy my car.:)

Don't walk, don't run, FLY to the Uintas. The high country along the Mirror Lake HWY is ablaze and Christmas Meadows is exquisite this weekend. It doesn't appear to be even at peak yet.
amethystReturnFoliage.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent! I got invited to go out there this Friday, and that picture may have sealed the deal for me.