Tripod Talk

steve

What are you using, how do you like it, and what will be your next tripod?

I'm in the market. I'm smitten by the Gitzos, but I really like the flip-locks on the newer manfrottos. I'll be using mine for video with an A7s.

I have a couple carbon fiber Feisols. A very lightweight one that I often carry on day hikes, a 3441T and a very heavy duty one that I sometimes use my long lens on a 3472.

I'd buy either one again. I don't envision needing another tripod, but, if I do, I'll definitely look at Feisol again. Good bang for the buck, IMO.

Mine are twist locks though. Personal preference - I've had tripods with flip locks and personally much, much prefer twist locks. They are faster for me and also more reliably secure. Flip locks get out of adjustment on occasion. Not a big deal to tighten them up with an allen wrench, but it's a PITA when you are setting up and find out one of them isn't tight enough. Never an issue with the twists. And, like I said, for me the twists are faster anyway. I can loosen all three sections per leg at one time to deploy and when It's time to collapse I can tighten all three at once. Not a big difference, but, it's there. Then too, I've pinched myself on flip locks just too many times.

I also have a Benro CF monopod. A C48F, a big heavy duty one for using my long lens. It's got flip locks, the only thing I don't like about it. But, based on the quality and the beating it has taken, I'd certainly consider a Benro for the money too.

Of course, nothing at all wrong with a Gitzo. I guided a professional outdoor/wildlife film crew for almost a week not long ago and they used nothing but Gitzo. Their gear goes through HELL on a constant basis and it's how they make their living. Don't think they'd be using all Gitzo if they thought there was anything better. The travel cases they had for them were just stupid huge though! The gear for one camera man, in all the Pelican cases, filled more than half the bed of my Ram 1500. That included his big ultra bad azz drone too though.

- DAA

A big Manfrotto carbon setup with Acratech ballhead. Sucks for hiking because of the size but it's rock-solid.

I use a manfrotto for my slider work, and I've been very happy with it; especially the new quick locks (or whatever they call them). It is quite heavy, however.

can you run it upside-down? For video, 90* doesn't really help, but being able to get the center column upside-down really does help.

Well you can turn the arm 90 degrees, but then you can turn the camera back to horizontal using the ball head.

Gotcha. I use a fluid head. I realize I'm the odd man out doing video instead of photo.