TRIBAL in action! The Jackson Hole Film!!

Yeah, it was really fun to get to do that.

Tuesday I will be at Solitude Resort during the "Demo Day". Can't wait! :)

That's really awesome guys! Love the slo-mo of the black lab catching the snowball.

And the purpose of them with skiis? I can the good use for boarders, keeping their hands out of the snow. But skiis......not much use. A good marketing campaign and they probably will sell.

And the purpose of them with skiis? I can the good use for boarders, keeping their hands out of the snow. But skiis......not much use. A good marketing campaign and they probably will sell.
In the powder it allows you to "pet the dog" so to say. You can really lean into the hill, which is impossible to do with poles.
You go from 2 point contact with the snow (just your feet) to 3 point contact ( 2 feet and 1 hand) with the snow. The angle/arc of the turn changes from a longer "s" like turn to a shorter "c" type of turn....if this makes sense.

Now as far I am concerned I only will use the paddle in the powder. If it is groomed snow, corn snow, or ice....I won't use it as you cannot lean on it for a carve turn . However the snowboarders are a different deal.

If you ever wanna try one, and you live in Utah, I'd take a lap with you and let you try it anytime.

Nah, don't need one ..... Skiis, poles and powder are fine for me. Many, many years of powder skiing on the Wasatch. I could always do long 'S' turns or tight for figure eights when I wanted. Not sure about what you mean about a 'C' turn unless you are talking about really flattening out the top/bottoms of the turn. Seems to me leaning into the hill on skiis is not what you really want to do, especially steeps. Yeah, groomed/hardpack wouldn't seem to work, but I don't see why the boarders like hardpack either.

Nah, don't need one ..... Skiis, poles and powder are fine for me. Many, many years of powder skiing on the Wasatch. I could always do long 'S' turns or tight for figure eights when I wanted. Not sure about what you mean about a 'C' turn unless you are talking about really flattening out the top/bottoms of the turn. Seems to me leaning into the hill on skiis is not what you really want to do, especially steeps. Yeah, groomed/hardpack wouldn't seem to work, but I don't see why the boarders like hardpack either.

I have been skiing for 23 years now and I like to mix things up, personally for me poles get boring. Why not involve your hands?

You say you can accomplish a tight figure eight, but with the paddle its a whole other type of turn man. Without a paddle in your hands you'll never accomplish the same type of turn. The "S" turn v.s. "C" turn annalogy is at the end of the turn, which is the best way I can describe it. Mostly you pivot off the paddle and it creates the different and a much more tighter arc/turn.

I have taken it to steeps and flats and everything in between. Flats it sucks, steeps it's great! Mainly the limiting factor is powder v.s. hard pack conditions, and if it is too flat.

Snowboarders use a single paddle and use the paddle qiute differently. I have seen snowboarders using it on hardpack and they can still accomplish a "lean feel" on the hard pack, especially on the inside toe turn. Meanwhile when I try hardpack with the as a skier the paddle just "sweeps the snow" like a broom, and if you try to lean on it as a skier in those conditions, you will fall.

Hopefully I am communicating this properly. See you out in the hills!

Reactions: Bob
Looks like fun, thanks for sharing!

As a snowboarder;
Generally I like to try and keep my upper body quiet, I don't do a lot of stunts or anything though so I'm not trying to load up for any spins or twists etc - again generally speaking. Holding on to a stick and rotating the upper body in an opposite direction than you would normal for a proper turn, in order to lean on it, seems counter intuitive to me. Usually snowboarders who counter rotate the upper body are either A) beginners or B) park ride and do all the tricks and stunts (most of which can out-ride me about anywhere on the mountain anyway) and skateboarders, or C) performing some emergency maneuver i.e. like just about to come to a stop back at the lift when an edge catches (see A), or suddenly you are desperately avoiding the punk your on a collision coarse with who dropped blindly down across the cat track your on so he can pull some crazy stunt off the lip. I can see the paddle maybe helping make a tighter turn, but wanting to do so more than you are able springs from a lack of confidence or skill - or at least that's how I feel about myself in such situations anyway ; ).

Why I love hard pack - fresh groomers in particular, it is all about carving! No need for leaning on a stick when the carving is good and I'm laying in deep turns because I'm already leaned way over - technically the board is leaned way over, I'm more or less standing vertically on it - upper body quiet and balanced except for an occasional hand dragging the snow because it's right there so close. Not much different in fresh powder really, still in balance over the board, still a carve like feel, just softer and floating, more free in a sense.

Toe side turns for me are by far the most comfortable and easiest to perform. Heel side are more challenging for me, tend to make them shorter and quicker and tighter, harder to balance right, less comfortable, easier to loose the edge and blow out the turn, easier to break something if you stick a hand out to catch yourself ( a bad habit no no anyway) but I feel with the paddle, though it could catch you and support you and help keep you up, it would only make those heel side turns even more unbalanced, like a compromise, here throw your balance off with this but then catch yourself with it, if that makes sense.

As a snowboarder;
Generally I like to try and keep my upper body quiet, I don't do a lot of stunts or anything though so I'm not trying to load up for any spins or twists etc - again generally speaking. Holding on to a stick and rotating the upper body in an opposite direction than you would normal for a proper turn, in order to lean on it, seems counter intuitive to me. Usually snowboarders who counter rotate the upper body are either A) beginners or B) park ride and do all the tricks and stunts (most of which can out-ride me about anywhere on the mountain anyway) and skateboarders, or C) performing some emergency maneuver i.e. like just about to come to a stop back at the lift when an edge catches (see A), or suddenly you are desperately avoiding the punk your on a collision coarse with who dropped blindly down across the cat track your on so he can pull some crazy stunt off the lip. I can see the paddle maybe helping make a tighter turn, but wanting to do so more than you are able springs from a lack of confidence or skill - or at least that's how I feel about myself in such situations anyway ; ).

Why I love hard pack - fresh groomers in particular, it is all about carving! No need for leaning on a stick when the carving is good and I'm laying in deep turns because I'm already leaned way over - technically the board is leaned way over, I'm more or less standing vertically on it - upper body quiet and balanced except for an occasional hand dragging the snow because it's right there so close. Not much different in fresh powder really, still in balance over the board, still a carve like feel, just softer and floating, more free in a sense.

Toe side turns for me are by far the most comfortable and easiest to perform. Heel side are more challenging for me, tend to make them shorter and quicker and tighter, harder to balance right, less comfortable, easier to loose the edge and blow out the turn, easier to break something if you stick a hand out to catch yourself ( a bad habit no no anyway) but I feel with the paddle, though it could catch you and support you and help keep you up, it would only make those heel side turns even more unbalanced, like a compromise, here throw your balance off with this but then catch yourself with it, if that makes sense.

All I can say is thank god I don't snowboard! LOL. (seriously the flats on powder days would KILL me).

I really shouldn't speak for what snowboarding with a paddle might feel like. This type of thing requires that you A) Have skied or snowboarded, and B) That you have actually tried skiing or snowboarding with the paddle.

For the record I have not tried snowboarding or snowboarding with a paddle. I only ski and ski with a paddle.

That was really awesome, many thanks for sharing. If you come to ski the Resort or Park where pooches aren't allowed and your buddy is social there is a great Dog Daycare/Boarding Facility just a couple of minutes south of Smiths called Dogjax where he/she can burn all kinds of calories having a blast with 10-30 buddies. They are very good people. I worked there in the past and love to take good dogs hiking too.

Hey @xjblue You speak of carving hardpack as if you are an Alpine Snowboarder. By chance are you?? If not and you love carving you really should try it. Its the only true carving on the mountain, and no "butt in the air" stuff when laying it over on the side.

Re: the paddle....it wouldn't work for alpine carving on hardpack as you can see in the video link but I would love to give it a shot in the pow on the K2 Ultradream!

Hey @xjblue You speak of carving hardpack as if you are an Alpine Snowboarder. By chance are you?? If not and you love carving you really should try it. Its the only true carving on the mountain, and no "butt in the air" stuff when laying it over on the side.

Re: the paddle....it wouldn't work for alpine carving on hardpack as you can see in the video link but I would love to give it a shot in the pow on the K2 Ultradream!

Nice! My second board was a Burton Amp 6, on which I started to learn to carve and got comfortable with speed. Ironically when I picked it up I still had some three strap bindings laying around to use with it and set them about 45* angle. But before I could get set up with the hard-boots I wanted, it ended up taking flight from a non-secured roof rack, damaged the rear corner and edging. Just went back to riding my little 152.