Trans-Zion Trip Report

mak1277

My first trip to Zion…in fact my first hiking trip in Utah at all. I’ve done all of my backpacking in the mid-Atlantic area…land of the long green tunnel. I’d done some day hiking in the Tetons and around Lake Tahoe, but never any overnight trips in the West. Needless to say, I was very excited and even the drive from Vegas to Zion was breathtaking. Numerous times I was “awoken” by the rumble strip on the highway shoulder because I’d been too distracted by the cliffs and mountains to fully pay attention to the road. Arrived at Zion on Sunday evening, with enough time to pick up my permits for the Trans-Zion route and do a short & easy hike (Emerald Pools).

Em Pools pic.jpg

My 6:30am shuttle the next morning came quickly. On the shuttle, I met two gentlemen from N. Carolina who were also doing the Trans-Zion from Lee’s Pass to the Grotto. The three of us would hike together off and on over the next two days. I enjoy the solitude of solo backpacking, but it was nice to have temporary companions to talk with for a couple of days at least. All in all, the trails were even less populated than I expected. I saw a number of people at the La Verkin Creek campsites on night 1, but aside from that I was essentially alone.

Right from the start I was truly inspired by the beauty around me. The red cliffs were stunning, and I was pleasantly surprised by the lushness of the valleys around the creeks and rivers.

IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG

There was a short rain shower the first afternoon, but it cleared up afterwards and I took the short hike back to the Kolob Arch. I definitely recommend taking the short scramble past the “end of trail” sign…it gives a nicer view of the Arch and provides a great place to sit.
IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1255.JPG

Day 2 started with a climb out of the La Verkin Creek area and then down into Hop Valley. Hop Valley is an absolutely beautiful place. The weather was spectacular the whole trip, but most especially during my morning walk through Hop Valley. Low 70s temps, shadows and sun playing in the valley and a cool breeze. It was perfect walking weather in a truly gorgeous place. If I had it to do over again, I would do a longer first day and camp in Hop Valley at one of the two horse camps (A or B).
Hop valley.jpg
IMG_1267.JPG

My night 2 campsite was beautiful, along the side of a long green meadow. It was also probably a stupid place to camp, in a low, grassy area. I woke with much condensation on my tent and frost(!!) on my backpack and shoes.
IMG_1269.JPG

Day 3 provided more easy walking…and the wonderful sites of the West Rim Trail. After walking through some forested areas (including young aspens replacing those previously burned), it seemed like every 50-100 feet there was another angle of the amazing rock shapes off in the canyons. I couldn’t help but think of huge beehives or ant hills as I looked down on the big white shapes…just awesome.
IMG_1292.JPG pano.JPG

The day was capped with my favorite campsite yet, complete with an excellent view and mule deer family.
IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1307.JPG

On Day 4/5 I was planning a thru-hike of the Narrows, and had a 9:30am shuttle booked. That required me to get up pre-dawn and do some night hiking to get to the Canyon floor in time for the park shuttle to pick up my permits. The morning hike was great…coming down into the main Canyon in the pre-dawn light was something I won’t forget.
IMG_1314.JPG

Unfortunately, both the rangers and the guide at Zion Adventures cautioned me against doing my Narrows thru (due to rain in the forecast for Zion, and rain/snow forecasted at the headwaters of the Virgin). I missed out on the thru-hike, but was able to spend about 5 hours in the Narrows on the bottoms-up day hike. I guess it just gives me a good reason to come back! The Narrows was, to me, as spectacular as advertised. I was truly awed by the canyon walls rising up around me.
IMG_1350.JPG narrows2.jpg

All in all, this was an amazing, fantastic trip…and only has whetted my appetite for more time in canyon country.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

I'll be out there for the first time in 3 weeks so I got really excited reading your report. Bummer about the narrows thru hike but still good that you got to see it albeit a day hike. Out of curiosity, what month was this and how cold did the temps get at night (you mentioned frost). Thanks

I'll be out there for the first time in 3 weeks so I got really excited reading your report. Bummer about the narrows thru hike but still good that you got to see it albeit a day hike. Out of curiosity, what month was this and how cold did the temps get at night (you mentioned frost). Thanks

The trip was last week. Night time temps were in the mid 40s in the main canyon, so I assume they were in the high 30s up where I was camping the 2nd night (almost 3000 feet above main canyon floor). Temps are already 15-20 degrees higher this week it looks like.