Tips for solo backpacking

This thread has inspired me to get bear spray. I enjoy hiking solo, but going with others often brings just as much enjoyment. For me, it is working on the mind over matter when going solo. While I have very little experience in the solo realm, I have gone enough to get a taste of the freedom and peace it brings. Being alone with ones own thoughts is liberating and rewarding.

I prefer going solo than hiking with someone else. I enjoy being able to set my own pace, stop when I want, get up early, etc. I also love being able to spend time without having to entertain someone else with small talk or anything like that. I've never had any problems or fear about being solo. Bears are not really a threat out here in the mid-east compared to out west, so maybe I'd feel differently in grizzly country.

I do find people's reactions amusing when I tell them I go out by myself. A few friends who I have backpacked with never tire of telling me how dangerous it is. But if you make wise decisions and don't take unnecessary risks, I don't feel it's any more dangerous than going with one other person.

But if you make wise decisions and don't take unnecessary risks, I don't feel it's any more dangerous than going with one other person.

I think it is logical that there is certainly more risk (and danger!) hiking solo than with a partner. Even if you make wise decisions, & don't take unnecessary risks, shit happens. And if it does you have vastly better chances if you are with someone else.

I think it is logical that there is certainly more risk (and danger!) hiking solo than with a partner. Even if you make wise decisions, & don't take unnecessary risks, shit happens. And if it does you have vastly better chances if you are with someone else.

I mean, you're right, obviously....but I'm not sure how much you're really changing the odds of survival by having another person around. Sure, you could get stuck somewhere, Aron Ralston-style, and if I was hypothermic, I'd really be glad someone else is around. But what are the actual odds of getting into a situation where having another person around is the difference between life and death? I feel like the odds of this type of thing happening are so small that it's not a meaningful difference to hike with a partner vs. solo.

If there are any insurance adjusters or actuaries in the house that can tell me I'm nuts, I'm happy to listen, though.

Actually...maybe I don't want to know...I like going solo and I don't want to be convinced that it's a bad idea, because then I'd probably end up getting out only once or twice a year, which would be unacceptable.

Edited to add: Also, you should always let someone know where you're going if you're solo (thus mitigating further the risk of a Ralston-style issue).

For many of us going solo is just the way it is. It's hard to find someone to go with, that can go when you can go, that wants to go where you want to go, that wants to hike at the same pace and have the same agenda as you. Of course I am also a classic introvert, so sometimes I just enjoy the peace and quiet of being alone without feeling like I have to keep a conversation going. I find it quite a refreshing break from the daily social demands through the week.

Nice thing about going with someone is if you get struck by lightnigng they can give you CPR and the odds are you would survive it. But then you see people like Cordell Anderson and he has spent a lot of time solo backpacking with no issues. Guess it just comes down to how well your skills are and some luck. Its much better now with Sat Devices to keep in touch if things go south.

Im not a big fan of going solo, but I have known people that thrive off it, and gives them a Zen type of experience. I cant wait for the Uintas to open up, get away from the crowds, take some pics, fish a little, and relax in my Hammock.

True, but for those of us that do get the zen experience, it's worth the risk. There's nothing that feels as liberating, as life affirming, as being out on your own. I'm aware of the risks and accept them-it's part of the experience. If something happens and I die out there, it will be with my eyes wide open and a lifetime of experiences under my belt most people never get to have.

Sometimes I enjoy being with others and sometimes not. It's the same in the backcountry for me. I usually go alone because no one else wants to go. Sometimes I plan a solo trip, but not often. When by myself, I enjoy the silence.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have been in the deep backcountry all my life whenever I go out I never stay on a trail. I am most often solo at least 90% of the time. I have ran into every animal out there! I have chased black bears out cabins and camps and if you and everyone in your group follows good food storage practices you most likely will never see a bear just outside your tent. Bears and other so called man eaters want nothing to do with a human. Cougars I've been within a yard or two of and as soon as they knew I knew they were there they bolted!! A cougar is a big cat and as cats they naturally want to see what you are from a safe distance. I too used to have the nightime heebie jeebies
untill this happened:

One trip over 5 days solo In Northern California I kept hearing these large steps at night and early morning hours. I mean it had to be really BIG!!! Leaves rustled like a kid opening a xmas present!! I kept hearing this go on the first three mornings and nights. I was freaking myself out more and more trying to imagine what was out there? Was it stalking me? Finally on the fourth morning I lay listening to it stomp around my camp, tearing up leaves and sticks I couldn't take the fear anymore so I crept out of the tent. I looked around and there was nothing to be seen, trees, a few birds and one little tiny sparrow looking bird to my left and my cold camp fire. I must be hearing things ..... no I know someting was out here so I waitied and sure enough the tiny bird started back to doing it's thing..........

HOPPING BACK AND FOURTH tearing up leaves and sticks sounding like a 800 pound bigfoot and not a 2 ounce sparrow LOLOLOLOL

So everytime I hear Bigfoot and black bears and killer lions i go look and it almost always turns out to be a bird looking for food or some other small animal scroungin around and I have learned not to be scared and BIG animals tend to give lots of space to us humans and the little ones like to scare the crap out of us as a joke!!!!

Skurka is a fool to not carry ACCESSIBLE Bear Spray

I did have bear spray in AK, and it was easily accessible. Anything short of that is irresponsible. But that bear came on me so fast that I didn't have time to get to it. Plus, I had trekking poles in both hands. So my reaction was to throw the trekking pole in order to free up my hand and to hopefully buy me some time. It worked. But it's definitely not recommended.

At the expense of sounding like I'm spouting off woo woo nonsense, I'll say this. Preparation and backcountry know-how aside, Nick was also talking about the mental side of feeling irrationally uncomfortable when alone in the woods. I feel that at least for me, practicing and cultivating the principles of mindfulness helps me feel interconnected and a part of the universe, as opposed to separate and detached (which is where the irrational fear comes from I think). Allan Watts also talked a lot about this concept. Of course, you still need to think rationally about real dangers (carry bear spray, hang food properly, etc). Now I personally don't take it as far as to meditate or anything like that, it's just a deliberate mindset for me and something that I am always working to cultivate. I read a lot of people on here saying "I like to be alone with my thoughts" on solo hikes. I personally feel the opposite way. I see thinking as "talking to yourself". The joy for me going solo is to silence the chatter in my mind. Instead I try to let my senses take over, I see, I smell, I touch, and I feel like a part of it all, like I belong. I understand that some of you may have "man vs. nature" attitude and want to conquer their surroundings. While I don't share that philosophy and have a hard time understanding it, I respect it. To each his own.

And no, I don't do yoga.

Last edited:
I am new to the forum. Been backpacking for 35 years and did my first solo that first year. I will echo what others have said about not finding people to go with. I have gone on 130 solo trips ranging from an overnight to 7 days in the Cali Sierras to begin with, Oregon Cascades, Idaho Sawtooths, Frank Church, Olympic Nat Park, Glacier National Park, Banff, Kootenay NP, Yoho NP, Provincial Parks around Nelson BC, and last year to Titcomb Basin and nummerous places in the Cabinet Mt Wilderness MT.

I would list what is important once I did this for for many years.

1) Trip planning, miles, elevation climbs, know your capabilities for miles and climbing
2) map reading and orientation, Carry a map, compass and altimeter/barameter for orientation and weather prediction
3) Bring sandals if stream crossings are shown on the map
4),Bear spray in grizzly country
5) Be familiar with bear food sources and recognize them and other bear signs
6) Rope and carbiner for hanging food.
7) Odor proof bags for all but the freeze dried foods
8) An ice axe or set of trekking poles (the last 10 years). Even if you don't cross snow, very handy for hopping boulders or limping home with a bum knee or ankle
9) keep your campsite and tent clean of any odors
10) Carry a comprehensive first aid kit that includes something to treat a sprained ankle or knee, and duct tape and wire for repairs to gear

Don't freak out and endure calmly the unexpected; those freaky things that happen late at night when wildlife is sniffing around your tent; or you run into wildlife on the trail; broken gear; lost food to wildlife; or injuries. See items 1-10, you have done everything right, you will survive the unexpected.

For 35 years, I only had a few mishaps. 1) I sprained an ankle getting out of my tent with loose boots one time, 2) sprained an ankle on a stream crossing, 3) Lost food to a flying squirrel (chewed thru the bag), 4) fell into a creek bed from 20 feet above by catching my campons bad on a boulder (dangers of a wide pack). Bloodied and bruised but walked out the final 5 miles. 5) Had both my boots half eaten by a mountain goat (wire and duct tape to repair) Keep anything with salt on it inside the tent, under the vestible is not good enough. 6) Deer stole my laundry for salt, 7)Deer stole two cameras/bag for salt (retrieved both) 8) Several times storms caused an extra day on a trip resulting in fish/berries providing the needed food, 9) Pack rolled over and fell on a red hot lantern (again duct tape and wire did the trick to repair a big hole). 10) Flat tire 2X at trailhead, and dead battery once. Now carry a unit that is a starter, battery charger and tire inflator, at all times

Now I have a wife that loves backpacking minus the ice travel, and use of ropes. I would always recommend a partner or two in grizzly country or rough terrain if you can find someone, especially as you get older

"I think it is logical that there is certainly more risk (and danger!) hiking solo than with a partner. Even if you make wise decisions, & don't take unnecessary risks, shit happens. And if it does you have vastly better chances if you are with someone else."

While on the surface this makes sense, my most troubling times have been when my partner on any trip was an incompetent (but enthusiastic) fool. Their likelihood for getting hurt was high and the likelihood for me to be hurt because of something they did was also increased. I prefer going solo because I have my own way of doing things and much of my impetus for getting out there was to see wildlife. The larger the group, the less wildlife I see unless I see them running away. Like BZ Adventures, I have been backpacking for over 35 years now. Nearly all of my best memories are from solo trips, and they all involve wildlife encounters that I would not have had if others were in the mix.

About staying up at night worrying about what might get you. That's the primordial brain in overdrive and probably helped us become what we are as humans. I still have the occasional night when I hear something and my imagination takes over but I can usually get back to sleep within an hour. The more experience you have, the easier it becomes.

As far as advice, get some good medical training, once I became an EMT, I felt better about being out alone because in most situations, I would be able to correctly assess and treat myself. Of course, this has it's limitations. All I have ever suffered has been a scraped hand but the next trip could be the one that effs me up. My wife bought me a SPOT so I could check in with her and keep her stress down. And as others have said, know your limits and play it safe.

As a bear safety instructor, I will add carry bear spray, it's effectiveness has been proven against both black and grizzlies. It is only good if it's readily accessible (not in your pack) and you have practiced pulling it out and having it ready many times. Also hang your food or use a BRFC and place it away from your tent, I sleep much better knowing that I am not creating a bad situation.

Now get out there and have fun!

While on the surface this makes sense, my most troubling times have been when my partner on any trip was an incompetent (but enthusiastic) fool. Their likelihood for getting hurt was high and the likelihood for me to be hurt because of something they did was also increased. I prefer going solo because I have my own way of doing things and much of my impetus for getting out there was to see wildlife. The larger the group, the less wildlife I see unless I see them running away. Like BZ Adventures, I have been backpacking for over 35 years now. Nearly all of my best memories are from solo trips, and they all involve wildlife encounters that I would not have had if others were in the mix.

I have a few rules in my years of backpacking. At the very top of my list is I never, ever backpack with someone that I am unfamiliar with, and whose skills are unknown to me.
It is not just on the surface, IMO, that it is safer to have a partner with you in case something goes awry. That just is common sense that it is clearly safer to have someone who can go for help if needed.
I really enjoy going solo, and I also accept the risk of doing so. We all have been in spots that would be problematic with a broken leg or any other debilitating injury. In the desert southwest (or any other remote area where you might not see any one for days) you will be screwed if something happens, and my guess is you would then be kicking yourself for being out there alone.
Or as @Laura said above, you can just lie back and wait for the inevitable end with a great deal of satisfaction. Watching those patient buzzards circling overhead. :)
(Apologies to Abbey)

Last edited:
I think it was Derek Hutchinson, in his sea kayaking book, that said that yes, you're supposed to kayak with other people. BUT, that he'd rather kayak alone than kayak with an unknown, who might get the both of them into trouble.

If you never backpack with someone that you're unfamiliar with, how do you meet new people? I'm not suggesting a three week back-of-beyond excursion, but maybe a weekend out and back, just to get acquainted.

I go alone because I like to go at my own pace. Frankly, if I'm with other people, I consciously or unconsciously make my pace different from theirs so I get to experience the hike and the environment on my own terms. Same with kayaking, usually. I probably choose puff-ball locations so I can feel safe, but still go out and experience the outdoors. I did a short overnight hike from the Hellroaring trailhead last summer, in Yellowstone. I loved being out there, but boy, was I thoughtful about grizzlies. I didn't see any, but as I hiked out, there were two coyotes that scampered ahead of me. They topped a hill, looked back down at me for a few seconds, and then *poof* they were gone. I didn't do a bazillion miles, and I didn't earn any awards for doing a long expedition, but I had a wonderful time, and I had a memorable interaction with nature and I treasure those times. I probably would have been having a conversation with another hiker if I hadn't been alone, and would likely have either scared the coyotes away, or wouldn't have noticed them at all. Sometimes it's awesome to be just-brave-enough.

Pringles

If you never backpack with someone that you're unfamiliar with, how do you meet new people?

Thanks for giving me a little laugh today, I needed it!
This is a hard one to answer. I meet new people all of the time, I just don't go backpacking with them!

Thanks for giving me a little laugh today, I needed it!
This is a hard one to answer. I meet new people all of the time, I just don't go backpacking with them!

I went backpacking with 3 dudes I never met before and got snowed in for 3 days with them up high in the tetons and had a blast... On the other hand, I shared an AT shelter once with two guys who introduced themselves as Guns and Ammo.. so it's not always ideal.