Thoughts On Canyonlands Itinerary?

Jimmy

A group of 7 of us already have back country permits for the itinerary below for a trip in late April. I'm thinking about changing the second half of our trip that focuses on Islands in the Sky and either do a day in Arches or spend more time in Needles; or ditching one of the hikes in the Island in the Sky portion and doing a rafting trip or other trails. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this itinerary and anything you'd recommend. Also, any thoughts on Needles water sources in late April - are there any? We're planning on packing a lot of water, but of course, would prefer to cut down on the weight.

Day 1: Arrive at Moab airport about 10:15 AM and get picked up by 2 friends coming from CO. Drive straight to Needles area. Hike to Chesler Park 1 campsite, setup camp, and perhaps some quick exploring if time permits.

Day 2: Hike to Elephant Canyon campsite, drop gear, and then spend day hiking. Haven't picked the hike, but we shoudl have a long day available using EC2 as base camp.

Day 3: Wake up and hike out to car. Drive to Islands in the Sky. Hike Upheaval Canyon trail and camp at the Labyrinth campsite or somewhere in Taylor Canyon zone.

Day 4: Hike back to car and drive to Murphy Point trailhead. Hike Murphy Loop and camp in Murphy Point Zone.

Day 5: Hike to car. Flight leaves Moab at 3:15 PM, so may have a bit of time to explore.

I hiked the Lathrop Trail out of Island in the Sky and it was spectacular. Don't let the first two miles of flat pasture fool you. You descend into magnificent canyon views and you can go all the way down to the river, though I'm told it's best to just go to White Rim Road and back.

So pick 2 hikes in Islands in the Sky. Both would be an out and back or overnight loop:

1. Lathrop Trail to White Rim Road (camp at the Airport site)
2. Murphy Point Loop
3. Taylor Canyon Zone Loop including Syncline, Upheaval, White Rim Road, and Alcove Spring

OR pick one and replace the other with a day hike in Arches. Unfortunately, due to jobs/families, we only have 5 days and 3 of those are in the Needles. Damn you, responsibility!!!

So pick 2 hikes in Islands in the Sky. Both would be an out and back or overnight loop:

2. Murphy Point Loop
3. Taylor Canyon Zone Loop including Syncline, Upheaval, White Rim Road, and Alcove Spring

OR pick one and replace the other with a day hike in Arches. Unfortunately, due to jobs/families, we only have 5 days and 3 of those are in the Needles. Damn you, responsibility!!!

I did Lathrop and Murphy Point when I was there and both were so breathtaking I've been counting the days until I can get back (2 months and 3 days to go). Be prepared for the same experience…..

All 3 of those are nice.

If your going to do this one, I would hike all the way down to the river. The hike down to the white rim is pretty sweet, and Lathrop Canyon is too. You can't camp right at the river, but you can do 1 of 2 things. Climb up and camp above, overlooking the river, or bush whack up river half a mile and camp along the river. Here is a picture from one place you could camp down there:
1962700_10152333506984766_1701233577_n.jpg

2. Murphy Point Loop
One of the nicest camp spots you can find. A real easy walk out to the point, you could carry a cooler if you wanted to. Here are 2 pictures of camping there:
1621841_10152333506969766_1809946710_n.jpg 10012453_10152333506979766_905408124_n.jpg

Hiking out to the Hogback campsites is nice as well. You could do that as a day hike while camping up at Murphy Point, or just go camp along the White Rim Road. Those sites are really nice.

I like this hike. Not quite the same vistas as the other 2 options, but the scenery is still spectacular. Taylor Canyon is just as nice as Upheaval Dome. In late April the road will be busy, and those campsites might be hard to get. But here is a picture from camping at Labyryth:
1941347_10152318820314766_402828360_o.jpg

Reactions: Ben
There are some other options if you can read a map. Not trails, but simple hiking.

1. You can do the Gooseberry Canyon loop. It would be a long 2 day hike. You would start at the Gooseberry trail head, drop down to the white rim, and then drop into Gooseberry Canyon. You camp at the river. Should be a spring in Gooseberry as well. The next day hike down river, and go up Dog Leg Canyon (I don't remember the name, I don't have my maps in front of me, but its the next canyon down river from Gooseberry).
Here is a view of camping there:
1609980_10152333507449766_1912993214_n.jpg

2. From the same trailhead, hike down to the White Rim Road, and follow it around to where it reaches Monument Basin. Walk (its easy) out to the point that overlooks both Monument Basin and the Colorado River. Camp there. You could also spend 2 nights here, and spend a day exploring Monument Basin below. Depending on weather, you should have water in pot holes near your camp. Or you could just pack in a bunch of water, since its all down hill and relatively easy hiking.
1661105_10152333508399766_1876101599_n.jpg 1658379_10152331279449766_1529763081_o.jpg

You could combine both of these trips together to make a easy, 2 night, 3 day backpacking trip.

The back country permit office just called me and questioned our group's itinerary to hike down the Lathrop Trail to the river as an out and back. The ranger said "no one" does this hike as an overnight due to the grueling trek back up the canyon, though it appears that Joey has!

He also stated that backpackers are not allowed to camp at the airport site, as it's for car campers. Am I getting correct information?

We leave in less than a week, so guess we'll have to figure out what we're doing!

A backcountry permit will not let you camp in car campsites (unless you've already reserved these car campsites beforehand).

Not set on this one, and thinking of either adding a day in the Needles or just doing a day hike and car camping one night.

Is the Lathrop trail hike worthy of a day hike trip?

Steve - I read your trip reports with great admiration, so definitely trust your opinion!

Thanks, but my opinion isn't worth much in this case since I haven't hiked Lathrop. We did the white rim trail in early march, and crossed the lathrop trail junction. Fantastic views on the 110 miles of the white rim trail, but the section near the junction with Lathrop didn't strike me as a highlight. It was nice, but there were much nicer areas on that trail.

I haven't done the hike yet, but it seems like it'd be a brutal hike back up to the top of the rim.

Airport was a pretty barren campsite. The good news is that there are vault toilets at all the car campsites.

To me, the highlight of the white rim was near labyrinth campsite, ovelrooking the green. I love that section.

This May we are staying at the Devils Kitchen Vehicle Campsite in the Needle District and are planning on hiking this loop:
(Devils Kitchen -> Chesler Park -> Big Spring Canyon -> Elephant Canyon -> Devils Kitchen).
http://goo.gl/maps/0hQgM

The lower part of Big Spring Canyon is suppose to be pretty awesome.. Also if you have not been to Druid Arch, that is a very nice hike down Elephant Canyon to Druid Arch.

^ That's going to be an awesome trip. You'll be staying in the best vehicle campsite I've ever been to.

We have a 3 day trek in the Needles and have Chesler Park 1 and Elephant Canyon 2 camp sites reserved.

Thinking about just adding a day to our Needles trip and car camping at one of the first come sites or the Needles Outpost to replace the Lathrop section.

he back country permit office just called me and questioned our group's itinerary to hike down the Lathrop Trail to the river as an out and back. The ranger said "no one" does this hike as an overnight due to the grueling trek back up the canyon, though it appears that Joey has!
As a day hike or a one night trip? People do this quite often as a one night trip,

He also stated that backpackers are not allowed to camp at the airport site, as it's for car campers. Am I getting correct information?
I don't know about that. Maybe at the airport sites, but backpackers are definitely allowed to camp in the drive up campsites along the road, as long as they get a permit for them. I've done this numerous times.

When you pull your permits, you will have either an at large camping zone, or a specific campsite with a number.

The views going down to Lathrop are really beautiful overlooking the Colorado, but down by the river its not quite as scenic. Its a real bush whack to camp along the river as well. Personally, the Labyrinth campsites along the Green River on the other side of the road are much nicer, and a nicer one trip over all.

We have a 3 day trek in the Needles and have Chesler Park 1 and Elephant Canyon 2 camp sites reserved.

Thinking about just adding a day to our Needles trip and car camping at one of the first come sites or the Needles Outpost to replace the Lathrop section.

I would do either Murphy's point as a short one night trip, or Labyrinth Campsite A down by the Green River. Island in the Sky has some different looks than the Needles do. Worth checking out.

i know it's sacrelidge on a backpacking forum, but everyone should at least drive the paved loop at island in the sky and walk the 100 yards out to all the overlooks. It's breathtaking scenery, even if you're not down there backpacking.

i know it's sacrelidge on a backpacking forum, but everyone should at least drive the paved loop at island in the sky and walk the 100 yards out to all the overlooks. It's breathtaking scenery, even if you're not down there backpacking.

I've done it every January for the past few years.

Aaron Gets a View p
by slc_dan, on Flickr

Grand View p
by slc_dan, on Flickr

Last edited: