The Revenant

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Saw this film last night. I'm interested to see how it's received by people in the west.

Anyone else here seen it?

SPOILERS...

I really thought the bear attack sequence alone was worth the price of admission. It had some obvious Hollywood drama added, but the viciousness of it really translated well. On the other hand, the depictions of native peoples were a bit too stereotypical.

It is set in 1823. I have not seen the movie though I intend to some day but I have read Michael Punke's book The Revenant that the movie is based on. It is the old story that has been told over and over about Hugh Glass and company including a young Jim Bridger. If you remember Man in the Wilderness with Richard Harris and John Huston, that was Huston's strange version of the story.

Can't comment on the Native American depictions until I see it. I was raised on the Rez, two of them, when I was younger for several years but this story is from an entirely different era...

Only very loosely based on the versions of the story I've read - going back to my childhood. Seemed like just about everything was a bit stereotypical and over all not very realistic. Lot of Hollywood throughout.

It had some neat scenes and was entertaining though. Well, for me. Wife and kids were getting pretty restless by the end.

- DAA

Really enjoyed this one, I went to it seeking entertainment and it didn't disappoint (gorgeous scenery, great acting and lots of action). Accurate in that he was attacked by a bear and abandoned, but the accuracy pretty much ends there. "Inspired by true events" is probably about right so glad the choice was that verses "based on a true story" that would be a stretch certainly.

The thing that makes me cringe in all these movies is when they walk in the cold, icy rivers in their only set of boots and clothes. At one point in this movie, Bridger was in waste deep water setting a trap, with snow on the ground. A while later he comes out, and says something about getting a fire going. Just watching that triggered a sense of urgency in my own mind. I know they did it, but I think they would've been a lot more cautious about getting themselves and their clothes wet in the cold, especially for an extended period of time.

Overall, I was a big fan. Can't speak to neither the historical precision nor literary brevity, but I was certainly entertained throughout. Amazing performance by Leo. Not sure if it will be enough for his first trophy, but it won't be undeserved if he does win. Most of all though the thing that I noticed was the cinematography. Beautiful, precise work, especially with the looong, uninterrupted scenes that still incorporated a lot of camera movement. And the fact that most of it was shot with only natural light was mightily impressive as well.

Overall, I was a big fan. Can't speak to neither the historical precision nor literary brevity, but I was certainly entertained throughout. Amazing performance by Leo. Not sure if it will be enough for his first trophy, but it won't be undeserved if he does win. Most of all though the thing that I noticed was the cinematography. Beautiful, precise work, especially with the looong, uninterrupted scenes that still incorporated a lot of camera movement. And the fact that most of it was shot with only natural light was mightily impressive as well.
@lostlandscapes, I am going to go see it although I will cringe at the famous bear scene. I am interested in your take on the cinematography BEFORE I go so I can observe better. Can you expand on the long uninterupted scenes and why that is hard please? Seems to me that was the same feature in that wildly immersive scene in the one episode of True Detective that you turned us on to.

@lostlandscapesCan you expand on the long uninterupted scenes and why that is hard please?

Hollywood's all about a technique known as invisible editing. The cuts are supposed to be made in a way that your brain doesn't consciously notice them. When directors chose to forgo that technique, it's usually for style. It's definitely not for ease... single-shot cinematography is hard. A lot of things have to come together exactly right or the shot is ruined. The longer and more complex the shot, the more difficult.

Scorcese famously showed off single-shot cinematography in Goodfellas, especially with this shot.

The director for The Revenant is the same guy behind Birdman, which was made through editing and digital trickery to look as if the entire film was one continuous shot.

In The Revenant, there are entire action scenes that are one shot or just a small number of shots. Normally, action scenes are clipped together from a large number of very short shots. This tells your brain that the pace is fast and heightens tension. But it's often done to a point where it's incomprehensible. For The Revenant to retain as much tension as it does in those long shots speaks a lot to the skill of the people involved.

Ahhhhh.... I see. Thanks Dave. Very interesting and I see, in your example, why it is hard. Probably many, many attempts to get all those people on board doing it right.

Amazing performance by Leo. Not sure if it will be enough for his first trophy

It was at the second most esteemed awards ceremony, the Golden Globes. And his speech and those of the Native American tribes that played as seconds in the film sound very pleased...

Quote-
The Revenant has triumphed at this year's Golden Globes, winning the night's most coveted prize for best dramatic film.

Leading man Leonardo DiCaprio won best actor in a drama, while Alejandro G Inarritu won for its direction.

DiCaprio urged recognition of indigenous people's history and lands.

"It is time that we recognize your history, and that we protect your indigenous lands from corporate interests and people that [are] out there to exploit them," he said. "It is time that we heard your voice and protected this planet for future generations."

What DiCaprio had to say means a lot to the people in Maskwacis, including about 50 who appeared as extras in the film.

"It was heartwarming because the value of our history and land is so meaningful to our people," said (Karlene) Cutknife.

People in Maskwacis are now hoping people remember and act on what DiCaprio had to say.

"I just hope it allows people to recognize the struggles that the native communities go through and not only that, but indigenous people across the world," said Thomas Buffalo, another Maskwacis extra.

"There are struggles all over the world and I'm just glad and honoured that he took the time and made sure everyone could hear."
-Unquote

Also the book I mentioned the movie is based on had a lot of "historical notes" and he told what is truthfully known and where he took his liberties. He also noted that Glass and if I'm recalling correctly a couple of trapping companions where killed by a Native tribe several years later.

I just caught the show and I have to say that I enjoyed it and would see it again, though it did make me feel cold. Brrrrrrrr!

I really enjoyed it. My wife hated it and is making me buy a spot device now. The one part that was a little too roadrunner-ish for me was when he rode over the cliff on the horse but was A-OK.

Back