The new backcountrypost logo

I pretty much totally agree. Although I kind of like the circle in #57...

What do the rest of you think about the .com placement? Sideways like in 53 or under the ST like in #40?
i like the circle as well. i think i'm liking the .com below rather than vertical.
i like the swoop though. i'm ok with the .com being vertical if we go with the swoop below.
i definitely prefer the circle in #57 to the square around the cairn though.
so - circle with underline swoop. that gets my vote so far.

i also agree with Summit in terms of the pondy on the waterbottle. that looks great!

I still prefer the box with cairn coming out the top, though the circle isn't too bad either. I do like the bi-color font, and the .com vertical rather than below. Not a big fan of the swoop.

Where is this Pondy water bottle you are all talking about?

Here's a mockup of the circle version on the site, as well as the .com moved to below. Thoughts?

How do you guys like that font/logotype?

bcp11.jpg

bcp10.jpg

I still prefer the box with cairn coming out the top, though the circle isn't too bad either. I do like the bi-color font, and the .com vertical rather than below. Not a big fan of the swoop.

Where is this Pondy water bottle you are all talking about?
the water bottle is on page one of the thread.

So I guess at this point I'd love to get the answer to the following three questions from as many people as possible:

1. Circle or square (or both)

2. Stylized frame around cairn or clean frame

3. Old font or new font

P.S. Once we get some schwag ordered, I am totally hooking up everyone who helped in this process.

So I guess at this point I'd love to get the answer to the following three questions from as many people as possible:

3. Old font or new font

My Answers are -

1. Square
2. Stylized
3. Old

I still like the original font compared to the other fonts. #60 or #61 are both good and the swoop idea isn't bad. The .com placed vertical for sure if the swoop is used the circle one breaking thru the stylized frame #61 is what I'd choose with the original font.

My thoughts:
  • I like the swoop under the letters, and how it has a diagonal knife-edge taper on the right side.
  • I prefer the clean line borders to the rough ones, and like the cairns poking out the top.
  • I have a problem with some of the cairns though - my mind jumps to the fact that some are physically impossible. For example, on the 4-stone cairn, the top-rock would weigh the flat rock below it so that its left side were as low as possible on the pivot the rock below creates (hard to describe - the 2nd rock from the top would be horizontal if physics ruled).
  • I prefer a more readable font to the original, which has the center "t" that looks more like a G (someone pointed this out earlier)
  • I kind of like the one logo that broke away from all the others, with the two swoops underneath making the curves of hills. However, the hiker in the diamond would have to be walking "forward and onward" instead of back to the left (even though it's on the word "back").
  • The tree is cool for the water bottle, because that's a vertical space, but would not work in many other situations, and the tree does not scale well (would look bad if printed 1/2" high, let alone the favicon of the site).
All that said, you have tons of strong options here, and no matter what the final choice, you're going to have one sweet logo!

3. Old font or new font

P.S. Once we get some schwag ordered, I am totally hooking up everyone who helped in this process.

My answers are :

1. Square. I think that the cairn has not enough room in the circle, the square shape fits better with the quite square shape of the fonts, a square evoques something "stronger" than a circle and that fits better with outdoor activities.

2. Clean frame. IMO Stylized frame is not neat (especially seen from a little bit far -like for stickers and T Shirts- or in a small size -like on smartphones), it has a more amateurish look, and it seems as it is shaked (like in cartoons)

3. New font. Less massive, more modern, easier to read (especially seen from a little bit far -like for stickers and T Shirts- or in a small size -like on smartphones)

I don't like the swoop which is "too much" IMO

I like very much #59.

I still like the original font compared to the other fonts. #60 or #61 are both good and the swoop idea isn't bad. The .com placed vertical for sure if the swoop is used the circle one breaking thru the stylized frame #61 is what I'd choose with the original font.
After some housework and a little more thinking I agree with Philippe and neiloro . The clean frame with the box would definately be better with stickers and such and I still like the hiker concept just can't get that out of my head.. I do disagree on the font though because I still like the original. Decisions decisions I do not envy you this week ibenick .

This is my current front runner. I'm thinking I'll take the square and circle in clean and sylized borders and possiby use them in different applications. But this is leading the pack for me as the main logo.

I know many love the old font of the logo, but I think this will be better in the long run. Most people that I ask that are not already used to the current font, don't care for it much.

bcp15.jpg

I like the idea of a Cairn because it's universal in the backcountry whereas a bear or even a pine tree is not found everywhere. My only thought about the Cairn is trying to keep it from looking like a pile of poo (no offense intended). When I first clicked on this thread it was my immediate thought. Maybe I'm childish, or maybe it's what hit me immediately. I still like the idea however.

This is my current front runner. I'm thinking I'll take the square and circle in clean and sylized borders and possiby use them in different applications. But this is leading the pack for me as the main logo.

I know many love the old font of the logo, but I think this will be better in the long run. Most people that I ask that are not already used to the current font, don't care for it much.

I agree, I like the most recent one that you liked. Looks like you guys figured out that having the rocks a brownish color makes it look like a pile of poo. I know it's late in the game, but had you ever considered toying around with a reddish color on the rocks? Something to resemble sandstone? Or do red (sandstone) and grey (granite) rocks stacked on top of each other.

I'm still a HUGE fan of the original font too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing.

I like the idea of a Cairn because it's universal in the backcountry whereas a bear or even a pine tree is not found everywhere. My only thought about the Cairn is trying to keep it from looking like a pile of poo (no offense intended). When I first clicked on this thread it was my immediate thought. Maybe I'm childish, or maybe it's what hit me immediately. I still like the idea however.

Yes, I've heard poop and snowman. :D That's also why we went with a 4th rock and made them a little more blocky. So no,n ot childish at all.