The Grand Canyon Of The South

BJett

Here's something a little different. You GoPro users out there might appreciate this...
I've been experimenting with a stern mount on the back of my whitewater kayak. It's asking for trouble the way it hangs off the back but the perspective is unique, and the countless videos of helmet cam-only kayaking is getting old. I tried turning it around to face upstream and had a friend paddle close behind, I think it turned out pretty cool with the slow-mo.

The river is the Russell Fork on the KY/VA line, and the Gorge is known as the Grand Canyon of the South. Its incredibly scenic, only marred by a train track...no roads or trails allow direct access into the gorge.
Famous with kayakers all over the world in the month of October when the Flanagan dam releases water (800-1000 cfs)to get the lake to winter pool. Normally a seriously consequential run with lots of undercuts and sieves...called the River of Inches by many...at lower flows (200-500 cfs) its a bit more benign but still a solid class IV river with plenty of dangerous spots.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Very, very nice! Seriously bad ass. Great job with the mounts and editing and nice choice on music. That's a trip report in itself! You mind if I move that into it's own thread? We gotta get a paddling section built up! :)

Cool, thanks! I took a break from whitewater videos for awhile, burned out on the helmet cam view.
I lost my first stern mount earlier this year when I took a beating in a rapid and swam...boat and mount went a half mile without me, never saw the mount or GoPro again. I've been wary to try another one, and I've never seen anyone try the reverse-mount POV before. I will admit its kinda distracting thinking about $400 worth of stuff dangling off the back of my kayak, surrounded by rocks and shallow rapids :)

langutah, I think lap 2 on that day was my 70th descent down this section of river, but I'm still nervous until I get past the crux rapids! The RFG demands respect, seen too many close calls in there. Such a beautiful place, off the map deep in southern Appalachia. Glad y'all dig it.

And yes, that's a Backcountrypost.com sticker on the back of my boat. Representing in the southeast!

I bought one from Jackson Kayak...I know people have made them much cheaper, but I was lazy.
http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2012/1...-mount-for-kayaks-now-available-for-purchase/

It works only if you have the safety/grab bars on your kayak. Maybe try Googling "GoPro stern mount recreational kayak" or something similar if you are considering one for your rec/sea kayak...there are plenty of Youtube vids out there for DIY mounts. Since you dont need to worry about flipping as much or going through big rapids I bet you could come up with something much simpler and cheaper. This one looks interesting...
http://seakayakphoto.blogspot.ca/2012/12/kayalu-gopro-mount-and-extension-review.html

I hope the Chute of Muddy Creek in the Swell runs next May, that would make for some cool stern mount footage.

That is a sweet looking mount but not cheap! If When I get a boat and get more into it, I might just have to get one though. Such a cool angle.

Enjoyed the video. The Russell is a hard one. Only seen it from shore. I doubt I will ever wet my paddle in it. That is a nice view angle. Usually the camera is on the helmet. I guess the camera stays relatively dry as I didn't see many water droplets in the film. The father of Jackson kayak built it, how cool is that. Stays in the family. Is the Jackson that won the freestyle kayaking his daughter as well?
If time allows check out this crazy video showing a 'swimming' kayaker rescued just above a 50 ft. drop. Dude is lucky. The rescuer was spot on.
http://demshitz.com/kayaker-saved-just-before-swimming-over-a-60-foot-waterfall/

Emily Jackson is Eric Jackson's daughter, she just had a baby and is already winning competitions. His son Dane is one of the best all-around kayakers in the world. A family of whitewater mutants.
Dave, the rescuer in that video, is the man. His ability to stay calm, tether his kayak and set his own safety first is impressive. One of the best whitewater saves I've ever seen. Probably saved that guy's life.

The trick with GoPro's is to lick it and dip it in the water after a few rapids, works as well or better than Rain-X and its free.