The Before/After thread

Before: going to the Swell tonight with some friends. Gonna do Ding and Dang tomorrow. Hoping that the Little Wild Horse and Goblin Valley crowds will be gone for the season so we can find a place to camp.

Before: Dirty Devil route, with inspiration from Steve Allen and advice from Art. Bringing our dog will limit or, better, challenge us on the dicey spots.

It went well. About a 60 mile loop, doing almost precisely what Allen calls the Dirty Devil North. Short November days challenged us to get to water every evening, and the last day was a 20 mile slog finished in moonlight. But this was right before the real cold hit, so it was really nice out there in the canyons.

The crux was the down climb thru the Wingate into Twin Corrall, so expertly photographed by @slc_dan above. Although it wasn't super exposed, and the difficulties probably didn't quite get to the advertised 4th class. The dog did really good too, which was a relief.

We almost had more trouble finding a 3rd class way into remote Larry Canyon at dusk on day 2. Mostly because of said dusk!

DSC05955 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr
Huge areas of slick rock characterized the upland between Robber's Roost and No Man's.

unaweep by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr
Short narrows near the exit of No Man's.

silvertip1 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr
Scant sun at camp this time of year

Image 11-18-16 at 19.11 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Image 11-18-16 at 19.15 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

Is there water down there?

Last edited:
Trying to get to this plateau deep in the Black Ridge Wilderness. Start at the end of the Kolob Canyon road in Zion (the one right off I-15)

543a3d3a05250b5cb09c304b57ba4f3c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before: Exactly ten years ago, I took my two young sons hiking in the Book Cliffs, and unfortunately encountered a crazy dude who tried breaking into my truck and then slashed two of the tires when I caught him. He got away by climbing up the trail we'd just descended. Many months later he was arrested and sent to prison for burglaries of many more vehicles near Woodside.

IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_6904.JPG

After: I eventually took my kids back and finished hiking the old stock trail to the top of the Book Cliffs. Today, however, on the 10 year anniversary of the event, I returned to the vicinity with some friends and explored to my heart's content. We hiked Trail Canyon to Joe Spring, where I found a sweet arrowhead and saw a cougar-killed bighorn. My favorite stop of the day was a little stone cabin, probably built and used by sheepherders that ranged all over the top of the Book Cliffs.

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_20161119_155542.jpg

IMG_20161119_181122.jpg

IMG_20161119_204139.jpg

Last edited:
Before: going to the Swell tonight with some friends. Gonna do Ding and Dang tomorrow. Hoping that the Little Wild Horse and Goblin Valley crowds will be gone for the season so we can find a place to camp.

After: It was a bit more challenging than I expected, but we had a blast (right up until we ran into a scout troop traffic jam in a very narrow section). Full TR in the coming weeks, I hope.

Last edited:
AFTER:
It's hard picking a favorite picture from this trip... so many beautiful lakes... so here's a fun one..
78e597aa937d2d514dbe4b867d8e66ce.jpg

And... a super moon bonus...
52c8d7992a2fff650b38f80c0791158c.jpg

And... I got done so early I did the Bald Mountain Trail! Wow!

3ab6a3887ff0587df15d5c9ee0f7cd47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A little video from this trip...

A little video from this trip...

In November... crazy! Cool ice patterns. And those reflections!

Side note - the $80 annual federal public lands "parks pass" also gives access to the Uintas fee area and AF canyon. A pretty sweet deal and then you don't have to stop and stuff cash into an envelope every time. Plus all the national parks! Or for $45 you can just get an annual Uintas pass.

Before: Heading to the Parunuweap Pass area in Zion National Park, might explore misc. areas like Progeny peak and/or Shelf canyon depending on time.

In November... crazy! Cool ice patterns. And those reflections!

Side note - the $80 annual federal public lands "parks pass" also gives access to the Uintas fee area and AF canyon. A pretty sweet deal and then you don't have to stop and stuff cash into an envelope every time. Plus all the national parks! Or for $45 you can just get an annual Uintas pass.
Yeah I was surprised to be up there in late October but mid November??

Thanks for the tip on the annual passes. I never realized they worked for the recreation passes. Definitely will look into it for next year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk