The Before/After thread

Before: Progeny Peak in Zion National Park

Before: Thinking about the impending winter and subsequent Salt Lake valley inversion inspired me to book a tropical vacation to Mexico in late January 2017. This one most definitely won't get a trip report since it will almost completely consist of soaking in clear blue Caribbean waters while free cocktails are delivered, but maybe now I'll find a couple suitable photos to post. :)

The view of the beach and ocean at our accommodations from Google Earth.
upload_2016-9-26_0-22-7.png

Before: launching in two days.

View attachment 48400
After: I canoed Labyrinth Canyon from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom, putting in Thursday morning and taking out Sunday. The water flow upstream at the town of Green River quadrupled while my group was on the river (probably due mostly to a contribution from the Price River, which jumped from 3 cfs up to over 8,000 cfs), and we woke up on Friday morning with tents in the river and three canoes missing. It was a rough morning but we were able to recover the canoes and continue with the trip, which turned out to be pretty darn great.

IMG_20160925_082628.jpg

After: I canoed Labyrinth Canyon from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom, putting in Thursday morning and taking out Sunday. The water flow upstream at the town of Green River quadrupled while my group was on the river (probably due mostly to a contribution from the Price River, which jumped from 3 cfs up to over 8,000 cfs), and we woke up on Friday morning with tents in the river and three canoes missing. It was a rough morning but we were able to recover the canoes and continue with the trip, which turned out to be pretty darn great.

View attachment 48587

That is so crazy man. Did you guys just have the canoes beached or were they tied up/anchored? I can't believe how far you paddled back up with them! Looking forward to the full report!

View attachment 48587
I respectfully beg for a trip report.....

That is so crazy man. Did you guys just have the canoes beached or were they tied up/anchored? I can't believe how far you paddled back up with them! Looking forward to the full report!
We just had them beached. The group made several mistakes that could have had some serious consequences: not camping high enough above the river to account for even a moderate rise in water level; not tying the boats up; and not voicing misgivings. After the fact, almost everyone in the group said they weren't really comfortable with our choice of camp spots, but nobody said anything at the time.

I'll be working on a trip report this week. :)

BEFORE: Heading into the Cuberant Basin on Sunday....

Cubertant Lake Route.PNG

Planning on heading into the basin first. If conditions allow I might try to summit Mt Marsell. If I have time on the way out I'd like to take the Lofty Lake trail back to the Pass Lake trail head. Weather is looking really good... excited to go!

BEFORE: Heading into the Cuberant Basin on Sunday....

View attachment 48887

Planning on heading into the basin first. If conditions allow I might try to summit Mt Marsell. If I have time on the way out I'd like to take the Lofty Lake trail back to the Pass Lake trail head. Weather is looking really good... excited to go!

Ended up a beautiful day with about 8 1/2 miles traveled. Favorite picture of the day...

20161009_142738.jpg

Mini-trip report coming soon.

Before: Heading to The Maze again this weekend. This time around it's a mountain bike trip with 4WD support. Going to spend a night at the Maze Overlook and another over at The Wall. If anyone knows of anything cool I shouldn't miss, let me know. I've camped in the Land of Standing Rocks, The Dollhouse, and down in the Maze and I've also hiked up to the Maze Overlook, but I've never driven between Flint and the Overlook before.

The hike out to the Chocolate Drops from The Wall is pretty great. Highly recommended.

Before: Heading to The Maze again this weekend. This time around it's a mountain bike trip with 4WD support. Going to spend a night at the Maze Overlook and another over at The Wall. If anyone knows of anything cool I shouldn't miss, let me know. I've camped in the Land of Standing Rocks, The Dollhouse, and down in the Maze and I've also hiked up to the Maze Overlook, but I've never driven between Flint and the Overlook before.

The hike out to the Chocolate Drops from The Wall is pretty great. Highly recommended.

I would love to do that one. The only reason it might not happen is that it's pretty long with how much time we have. Thanks for the recommendation on it. It looks fantastic.

BEFORE: Heading up to Amethyst Basin for the day tomorrow.