thanks for having me

hikerboy

hello boys and girls, ive been backpacking for over 35 years, almost exclusively on the east coast, most of that in the northeast. ive taken trips up to 3 months at a time, and hope to be able to both contribute and maybe pick up a few new ideas along the way.
i've been looking into thru hiking the idaho centennial trail , but can't find much information about it. anyone have any thing to offer?

i'll be spending a few weeks in Maine beginning o foctober, hiking the 100 mile wilderness.

Would love to see a trip report of the 100 mile wilderness as I've considered doing it myself. I'm from Mahwah, near Harriman State Park on the NJ/NY border, about an hour and a half away from you. Basically on the opposite side of Manhattan. I work in Newark which is a little closer to you. Read your report on the BMT - looks like a nice trail.

i day hike around harriman all the time, several times a month. just did an overnight a coupla weeks ago at wildcat shelter.
the 100 mile is beautiful, although not a true "wilderness".maine is friggin awesome

Very cool, I've spent a lot of time in Harriman over the years, I live 10 min away. Haven't done too much hiking there the past year or so, I'll usually head a little farther north to the Shawangunks or Catskills if I want to stay close, but the two places I'm most passionate about in the northeast are the Whites in NH and the ADK's. Unfortunately Maine is just a bit out of driving range for a long weekend trip for me but I'm hoping to make it up there next year. I do love sneaking out on the many lakes in Harriman for a quick kayak with my dog on a Sunday morning or a weekday evening if I get home from work early.

If you're referring to the Wildcat shelter on the AT between Waywayanda and Sterling Forest, I've stayed there. It's around Fitzgerald Falls if I remember correctly, but can't remember if it's before or after.

Very cool to have someone else on here that knows my area! This is truly a great site. It's exposed me to learning about so many other places. And when you venture out west you'll get tons of advice here.

yeah, i try to get up to the gunks when i can,its a bit of a trek, about 2.5 hrs from me. i learned to climb there many moons ago,. the long path through minnewaska is a lot of fun with some cool scrambles.and mohonk is cool,too.the 'daks i havent been to since the 70s, but ive hiked the whites plenty . franconia ridge is one of my favorite places in the universe. harriman is convenient for day hikes, but i only camp thee in the winter.too crowded. i like more remote trails, a good one is the grafton loop trail in nh, takes 4-5 days.in the middle of august i only saw 3 other people on the trail.