Tetons planning

What are the shuttle options?
The taxi drivers charge about 70 bucks for a ride, and that's the base price.

I'll give you guys a ride for free if you end of needing one. Just keep me posted.

Just an FYI: In 2013 Teton Taxi charged me $80 for the 4 of us to get from String Lake to Teton Village.

TCT Mid July.JPG
This is my plan for the TCT in mid July. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

If I am around could possibly do a pickup.......would be only about hour way

View attachment 26251
This is my plan for the TCT in mid July. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Looks like a great trip.

Where are you planning to camp the first night? Down in Death Canyon, or along the Death Canyon Shelf? There is a section of trail between those 2 spots where you go outside of the park boundary, and can camp anywhere. It's Fox Creek Pass. You could probably find a nicer campsite there, than inside the park in that same area. Just an idea.

Your route looks good. You've spaced it out nice. Camp 2 at Sunset Lake is great. For camp 3 in North Cascade camping zone, there is some nice, open sites towards the top of the zone. The only problem with going for those, is that if someone else takes them before you get there, you have to backtrack down to find another spot. Looks like your going for the Lower Paintbrush zone on night 4. Some really pretty spots that overlook the lake as you come down from Holly Lake.

Where are you planning to camp the first night? Down in Death Canyon, or along the Death Canyon Shelf?

I could not get a reservation on the shelf so I booked Death Canyon. But I'm glad Fox Canyon is an option as well. Thanks for the info.

Death Canyon is nice, but that would be a lot of extra elevation gain/loss. Another option is to check in with them when you pick up your permit, and see if they can change it to the shelf. They don't reserve all the camp spots in the zones, they hold some for walk up permits. So there is a good chance you can get the shelf zone then.

Here is the only picture I could find handy of the area around Fox Creek Pass. this is early June, so most of the snow should be gone by July. But you can see the view, and that its relatively flat. Plenty of places to camp. Water is there, and there are also more sheltered places in tree strands to camp.
10400609_27881464765_6860_n.jpg

In regards to dropping down in the Death canyon Zone from Fox Creek Pass. The first 2 site you come to (one on your right and one on your left) could very well be taken as they are the best sites in the zone in my opinion. So I would stay just outside the park near Fox Creek and camp there if you are unable to have your permit altered when you get there. Also, like Joe said, you will lose a ton of elevation that you will be faced with regaining first thing the next morning.
Sunset Lake is nice in the basin with great views of The Wedge, Teton Canyon and Battleship. Most prefer Mirror Lake area in the basin but for the reason that a side trip up to Static Peak is easier and shorter from there vs. Sunset Lake.
The sites in the North Fork Cascade Canyon are nice. Busy, but nice. Get as high in the zone as you can. Close to Lake Solitude. I like the site on the left (south) right before you hit the drainage from Mica Lake. There are 3 in that general area. One just a little closer to Solitude on your right. The next morning break camp and have breakfast at the lake. You will have plenty of time to do a side trip up to Mica Lake. It's an easy scramble from Solitude about 400' of elevation gain to get there.
Once you're over Paintbrush and beyond the Upper Paintbrush campzone the trail splits. Take a left and head toward Holly Lake. Have lunch there and continue down. You cut a little off the trip there too as it is shorter from Holly Lake into the Lower campzone.

If you want photo descriptions of any of these area's just ask. I have photos of the area going back over a dozen years.

I stayed on Fox Creek....not bad, the small lake by the boundary had decent water.

PTSM you're from IF. I know a few guys that commute here. I too am local, should be just a couple miles out of town in summer, and might be able to give you a ride EARLY or LATE .

You're gonna have an awesome trip. Great tips from the guys.

Grizz has been seen in Yellowstone. Could be a rough early Spring. I keep expecting them to show up at Holly Lake some August; those Whitebarks still barkin' guys? the Valley on Sunday. Still over 100% snowpack basin-wide but the hole below the lip about 4 miles North of town has spotted out and there are ungulates of all kinds all over the refuge.

Here is a pic of among other things Paintbrush Canyon from Jackson Lake Sunday.

009.JPG

: ) the teton pictures game.

regarding @Joey 's comment that the snow should all be gone mid July.
DSCF0079.JPG
this is what it looked like when i was there very late june. my trip ended july 1. the snow on the ground varies depending on the previous winter. your plan looks good.

Haha. I did include the word MOST in front of the word snow. :D

and the word should after it. you and i got two very different years, me with more snow weeks after you. any one's guess what it'll be like this year.

I got a call from a ranger yesterday to make sure I knew that an ice axe may be needed over Paintbrush and Hurricane passes. How likely is that for July 13th-17th?

I got a call from a ranger yesterday to make sure I knew that an ice axe may be needed over Paintbrush and Hurricane passes. How likely is that for July 13th-17th?

There really isn't any way to know for sure until it gets closer to your trip. In a normal snow year, that's right about the time they stop advising them for Paintbrush Divide. It also depends on your own comfort level. A trekking pole would probably be just as handy then.

Unless they get a lot of snow between now and the summer, I would think your going to be fine with out one.

Park Service has to tell you that, to protect them from any liability. People do slide there every year and get hurt.

Check back around June, either on here or with park service. I'll be around the park the first few weeks of June, and could give you a better idea of the snowpack then. The NPS website has a backcountry blog that gives good updates as well: http://www.tetonclimbing.blogspot.com/ . On the right hand side they have links for the trail and pass conditions.

trail crew and backcountry rangers dig out steps through there every year as well.

Hurricane Pass will be fine by then.

Reactions: Ben
These pictures are great! I am also planning a similar trip as others on here, we are going the first week in August (Sat-Sat). My boyfriend and I are taking the tram to Fox Creek, Alaska Basin, (northern) South Fork, Lower Paintbrush then Bear Paw. We only finalized our campsites recently so all the online reservations are taken. Crossing our fingers that we get the permit when we arrive. Any advice about setting up shuttles? We are flying from NYC and renting a car, but will need a ride back to our car at the end of the trip. Should we set it up in advance of once we are in town?

These pictures are great! I am also planning a similar trip as others on here, we are going the first week in August (Sat-Sat). My boyfriend and I are taking the tram to Fox Creek, Alaska Basin, (northern) South Fork, Lower Paintbrush then Bear Paw. We only finalized our campsites recently so all the online reservations are taken. Crossing our fingers that we get the permit when we arrive. Any advice about setting up shuttles? We are flying from NYC and renting a car, but will need a ride back to our car at the end of the trip. Should we set it up in advance of once we are in town?
Honestly, if you're OK with the idea, hitchiking through the park/in the state of Wyoming is 100% legal and super easy around the park. It'll take a couple different hitches to get to your destination, but a couple hours and a sunny disposition should do the trick.

Hey all! My first post here. Use to be on backpacker.com forum with posts about the Winds. Well after 4 backpacking trips to the incredible Winds, my buddies and I have planned a trip to do the Teton Crest Trail. Thanks to all the previous posters for the invaluable information. We were able to get the following reservations and this is our itinerary:

August 29th-Saturday- arrive via flight to Jackson Hole (late afternoon) Stay in Teton Village at Hostel
August 30th-Sunday- free day, pick up bear canisters at Jenny Lake Ranger station, day trip to Yellowstone
August 31st-Monday- Ride Tram and start Hike, camp at Marion Lake
Sept 1- Tuesday_camp at Alaska basin
Sept 2- Wednesday-day hike up Static Peak, do some trout fishing, stay another night at Alaska basin
Sept 3rd- Thursday-side trip to "the Wall", camp in lower end of S. Fork of Cascade
Sept 4th-Friday_ side trip up to Mica Lake? fish Solitude Lake, camp at Holly Lake
Sept 5th-Saturday_ Hike out to String Lake Trail Head (mid-day) stay night in motel
Sept 6th-Sunday_ flight home to ATL

We need help with a shuttle. We are renting a car, but need help giving us a ride back to Teton Village on Saturday Sept 5th mid day. The other option would be to plant our car at the end trail head (String Lake) late Sunday August 30th. Hitchhiking is a good option. Most likely leave 2 people with the gear as the other 2 hitch and go get the car.

A few questions:
Is there a free place to park the entire week near the Tram in Teton Village?
Where's the best place for a post hike meal in Jackson?
Any other suggested side trips or lakes to fish are appreciated.

Ken (riverrunner03)

Hey all! My first post here. Use to be on backpacker.com forum with posts about the Winds. Well after 4 backpacking trips to the incredible Winds, my buddies and I have planned a trip to do the Teton Crest Trail. Thanks to all the previous posters for the invaluable information. We were able to get the following reservations and this is our itinerary:

August 29th-Saturday- arrive via flight to Jackson Hole (late afternoon) Stay in Teton Village at Hostel
August 30th-Sunday- free day, pick up bear canisters at Jenny Lake Ranger station, day trip to Yellowstone
August 31st-Monday- Ride Tram and start Hike, camp at Marion Lake
Sept 1- Tuesday_camp at Alaska basin
Sept 2- Wednesday-day hike up Static Peak, do some trout fishing, stay another night at Alaska basin
Sept 3rd- Thursday-side trip to "the Wall", camp in lower end of S. Fork of Cascade
Sept 4th-Friday_ side trip up to Mica Lake? fish Solitude Lake, camp at Holly Lake
Sept 5th-Saturday_ Hike out to String Lake Trail Head (mid-day) stay night in motel
Sept 6th-Sunday_ flight home to ATL

We need help with a shuttle. We are renting a car, but need help giving us a ride back to Teton Village on Saturday Sept 5th mid day. The other option would be to plant our car at the end trail head (String Lake) late Sunday August 30th. Hitchhiking is a good option. Most likely leave 2 people with the gear as the other 2 hitch and go get the car.

A few questions:
Is there a free place to park the entire week near the Tram in Teton Village?
Where's the best place for a post hike meal in Jackson?
Any other suggested side trips or lakes to fish are appreciated.

Ken (riverrunner03)
I'll try to give you as much info as possible when I get back. I am heading up tomorrow and will be back Friday.