Survivorman in Utah

Sorry, meant nothing personal, but watching national, and especially "cable" news, I see a never ending river of bullshit being spewed.

Local, not as bad. And things have improved a lot in my lifetime. The influence of the Outfit on local broadcasts isn't nearly so obvious as it used to be.

Just one mans cynical opinion.

- DAA

Just one mans cynical opinion.

And you're certainly welcome to it. I'd just politely suggest you consider that calling an entire industry crap is perhaps a bit too broad. People love to hate on "the media" just as they do politics, yet it serves an important role in our culture.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about the damage that the cable news 24-hour cycle has done to broadcasting or about the death of print journalism we could talk at length.

Back on topic -- have @Nick or @Aldaron considered doing an open records request to see what kind of permits the production team filed? That could be illuminating.

Reactions: DAA
We talked about that yesterday. Based on this incident, I wander what we will find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman#cite_note-10

"On July 16, 2007, Stroud and a support crew of four in the nearby safety camp were cited by the United States National Park Service for commercial videotaping without a permit at Taroka Arm, a seldom-visited area at Kenai Fjords National Park in Alaska. Investigators found a driftwood shelter surrounded by multiple cameras on the beach. The support crew was camped near a sensitive archaeological site. Stroud paid the required application, location, and monitoring fees, totaling approximately $2,800 USD."

And that aired over two years after the Utah episode.

Now, if you want to have a discussion about the damage that the cable news 24-hour cycle has done to broadcasting or about the death of print journalism we could talk at length.

And I suspect we would find much that we are in profound agreement with there.

We talked about that yesterday. Based on this incident, I wander what we will find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman#cite_note-10

This sparked a partial memory for me. I was involved with commercial filming on public lands between roughly 2000 - 2007. I wish I could remember positively whether new regulations took effect towards the end of that period, or whether I simply became aware of existing regulations towards the end. But I can't really remember which it was.

Either way, I know that towards the end of that period, I DID become aware of permitting regulations I had previously not known about - or perhaps which not had previously existed. I never did get any permits, it wasn't economically feasible for the small projects I was involved with. I do remember being a little bit worried about it, towards the end there. And I've since occasionally guided commercial film crews and worked as on-camera talent (TV shows) on public lands, and I'm pretty sure there were no permits on any of those shoots either. And yes, there was a lot of bullshit in all those productions...

So, anyway, I think "poaching" shoots is pretty common. Even with fairly well funded TV productions. But I also kind of think, that the current permit requirement was a fairly new thing in 2007? And might not have been in place at all for a show filmed a couple years before that?I wish I could remember more about that.

- DAA

Reading some comments on his page, it's going to be fun when people completely rip us apart if we even hint that the show isn't as much of the real deal as they think it is.

Or maybe that means we'll get a response to Nick's email tomorrow :)

Yeah, I'm totally sure he's worried about us...

I am quite sure I have located the spot where he spent the first two nights north of Holmes and it is even more depressing than we had suspected. I might even have figured out the exact tree, but at the very least, it's within a hundred yards or so of here: 37.83638,-110.580217
Just for the record, before we post our findings I wanted to point out that @Nick DID in fact pick the exact tree of Les' first campsite from a satellite view!

I was totally impressed.

I was just happy that I picked the right slickrock dome in front of his tree...

Reactions: DAA
I went through and rewatched the first half last night now that I know where camp 1 is and there is quite a bit more damning evidence about how badly faked that first couple of nights was. For example, I'm quite sure the shots he took of not being able to get to the creek were shot directly out in front of his shelter tree and that there were actually plenty of good accesses down. I also suspect that he did get down and even crossed over to the other side to take some shots of his camp bench. Hell, I'll share that shot now. This had to have been shot from the other side of Milk Creek from near the flat ridge and dome and the lighting matches the timing in the show that he was complaining about not being able to reach the canyon floor for water. His camp tree is visible in the distance in the middle of the bench. The largest one.
I missed this post before somehow. After being out there, I think you're right. I would have climbed up on the opposite wall for a picture! And can you see the line of the road in the left-center of the picture?

I can handle all of the roadside camping he wants to video.......just as long as he does an audio edit and substitutes Anasazi for Anastazi.

So with this interesting thread I had to get this episode and watch. Just a tangent, but I was very interested to note the video equipment he was using then. I guess it was season 1 but is just helps me to realize how quickly photo/video technology is progressing. Were I doing this new season I would shoot with a 5d Mk III and gopros.

:)

We've had some technical challenges, but I am wrapping everything up as we speak.

Tell @Nick to send me his pictures and I'll probably be done tomorrow!

Patience has a limit for something like this. Just sayin'. :hungry:

When I was a kid, in my room, above my Farah Fawcett poster, was a poster with two vultures sitting on a tree branch, looking down on some bleached bones, with the caption "Patience my ASS! I'm gonna KILL something!".

Words to live by...

- DAA