Survivorman in Utah

Aldaron

I know this is an old episode, but it still bugs me trying to figure out where the Survivorman episode in Utah was filmed. I have that episode on my DVR, and every few months I watch it to try to get clues on where I think he is. As good as you guys are with identifying the location of pictures (and as bad as I am at it), I thought surely someone has figured out where he is.

I've done research trying to figure it out (for example, his local contact is from Boulder), but I just can't seem to nail it.

I had about decided it was somewhere around Robber's Roost, but lately I've wondered if it isn't somewhere near the Little Rockies.

Anyway, I thought it might be time to give up and see if someone else had already figured it out!

Survivorman rules...

I feel that he was down in the Trachyte Creek area. Those look like the Henrys as they're flying him in. I need to look closer at the episode again though...

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere around Trachyte, also, but I've only done Swett and Maidenwater out that way, so I don't know the area very well. Considering he was flown in, I assume it's pretty far back in there.

I think it's north of the Little Rockies, but it could be out on Ticaboo Mesa. It's definitely in that region though. There's really nowhere out there that is THAT far from a road passable by HCV. The helicopter is a bit overkill, methinks.

Yeah, now that you guys mention it, I guess he did hike out at the end of the week!

Who/what is survivorman? I can google it but I have to wash my hair.

Survivorman is a canadian guy named Les Stroud. He had a TV show for a few years in which he would load up 60-70lbs of camera gear but pretty much no food or survival equipment and head out on 7-day trips into various wilderness environments. Mountains, jungles, deserts, arctic, etc. He's kind of a bad ass. Think of Bear Gryls (Man vs Wild douche) but without all the help, hotel rooms, packing all the cameras, shooting all the shots and trying to actually survive and not just look like a ginourmous douche climbing up cliffs to 'survive' when you could easily walk around it.

Les Stroud's website: http://lesstroud.ca/

Survivorman is a canadian guy named Les Stroud. He had a TV show for a few years in which he would load up 60-70lbs of camera gear but pretty much no food or survival equipment and head out on 7-day trips into various wilderness environments. Mountains, jungles, deserts, arctic, etc. He's kind of a bad ass. Think of Bear Gryls (Man vs Wild douche) but without all the help, hotel rooms, packing all the cameras, shooting all the shots and trying to actually survive and not just look like a ginourmous douche climbing up cliffs to 'survive' when you could easily walk around it.

Les Stroud's website: http://lesstroud.ca/
Ya, Les Stroud is 10X's the man than Bear is! Loved his show!

Maybe if I post a still from the show in the "Where is it" thread we can get it figured out! :)

Just for anyone that cares new episodes of Survivorman start August 19th on Discovery.

Well, my obsessiveness won't let this go...I've still been trying to figure out where Survivorman filmed the episode in Utah.

So, since I'm always down south trying to remember what I saw on the episode, I finally figured I should take a screen shot of some notable feature in the episode and then try to match up that screen shot with the real world.

As luck would have it, I found the feature from the screen shot on my first attempt. I was going out to Ticaboo Mesa this weekend to see if I could find a way down into Ticaboo Creek from up on the Mesa. I didn't do much research on it, so it was a half-hearted attempt. But as we were driving down 276, I instantly recognized the mountain from the screen shot I had taken:

This is from the episode:

photo.JPG

And this is Mt Holmes from 276:

photo(1).JPG

It's definitely the same mountain.

Unfortunately, this is the only screen shot I took, and I need to ensure it wasn't a shot taken by the crew, or something.

But it looks like you guys were right, and he's in the Ticaboo/Trachyte area. From the angle, I'm a little worried that if this isn't a crew shot, then he might have been awfully close to the road.

I'm going to take some more screen shots and try again in a couple of weeks...because I'm just crazy like that.

I can't find an easily accessible copy of that episode. I know it sounds silly, but now I kind of want to go out there and find the locations...

It doesn't sound silly to me! :)

I've got it on DVR...maybe we should have a viewing party and then head out! I'm actually looking at the maps right now...I have an idea where I want to start looking, but I need to watch the episode again.

Awesome. So we'd need to take a bunch of screens and print them out so we can reference them on the trail. I'll see if I can get it on Netflix and grab screens. This could be lots of fun in a 'we're freaking dorks' kind of way. :)